Expectations for Barzal 2019-2020?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What are your expectations for Barzy next season?

I think he hits the 85-90pt mark with an improved PP. I hope he shoots a bit more often this season, his shot has a lot of potential to surprise. Watching him in Seattle, I didn't see it but it seems like he's added some accuracy and sped up the release a bit. Lessons from Lee?

Reactions: dood

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Maybe a 10-15 point increase. Nothing to write home about.

That would still be pretty huge. I liked what I saw in the playoffs, I thought he outplayed some other high profile RFA types like Rants, Marner and Point. He had a little extra swagger, especially earlier in the playoffs I thought.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I think he'll definitely have more points. I think he'll play with Eberle and that should help. They had good chemistry and Eberle said it took him half the season to figure out how to play his game within Trotz's system.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think he'll definitely have more points. I think he'll play with Eberle and that should help. They had good chemistry and Eberle said it took him half the season to figure out how to play his game within Trotz's system.
Which would open up ice for Beau, who would also flourish.
Best case scenario, but I see Barzy improving under our noses.

Reactions: Treebeard

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If the Power Play was anything but dreadful, he would've had 70-75. He also needs to shoot more - he has an excellent shot and his unpredictability throws goalies off. I'd like to see 25G 55A, somewhere in the ~80 range.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
70-80 points. We’re a defensive team and he still doesn’t have a good or elite sniper playing with him.

Out of the current RFAs (I know, pipe dream), who do you think would be the best fit? I drool over having Laine or even Connor on his wing. Barzy is top 5 playmaker in just skill with his speed and vision, imagine him with an elite shot on the wing...

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I think he really comes into his own this year. Most players take a few years to adjust.
Really meshed with Eberle late last year, and I do believe that the PP will be better.

19 G, 59 A= 78 pts. He won't be getting lots of points until we add more skill. +20, and a slight increase in PIM's, as he grows more comfortable with Trotz's system.. Take more of a leadership role, possibly get an 'A'. Maybe even see him on the PK, as he becomes stronger defensively, and is a short-handed threat.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think he really comes into his own this year. Most players take a few years to adjust.
Really meshed with Eberle late last year, and I do believe that the PP will be better.

90 pts. +20. Take more of a leadership role, possibly get an 'A'. Maybe even see him on the PK, as he becomes stronger defensively, and is a short-handed threat.

His speed on the PK would be deadly. I'd love to see Barry develop that side of his game.

Reactions: mm11 and dood

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
His speed on the PK would be deadly. I'd love to see Barry develop that side of his game.

I think Barzal would be dangerous on the PK. Been saying it for awhile now. Open ice galore and sometimes a forward manning the pp point he can blow around. Marner is a great example, the kid buzzes all night on the PK. This can kill some precious time off the 2 minutes trying to rag down Barzal for awhile

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I jinxed him last year with my praise. So this time I'm going to say he'll forever be a 55-60 point guy and 22 goals will end up being his career high.

I do remember that when we posted the list of rookies with 85 points there was one guy in there who we were sort of like “he had 85 points his first year?!” And it was his career high. It’s usually a safe assumption though for a predictor of a great career

Reactions: YearlyLottery

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If we get the stinking PP to work, then yes, Barzy will get more points...but if we still have the crappy PP..then he'll be a 65 point player.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Depends on how much he develops his shot, willingness to drive into the slot, get into dirty areas to score goals. Also, his linemates. He has good chem w Ebs, but he needs an upgrade on his line. Put a smart, 35 goal sniper w him; not only will the sniper benefit, Barz will be in that 80-90 pt range.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Anything less than 70+ points IMO will be disappointing. But then again, he'll be playing with the same guys who couldn't finish his sweet feeds last year, so who knows.

Depends on how much he develops his shot, willingness to drive into the slot, get into dirty areas to score goals.

So true. Need to see more of that Barzal from game 1 of the PIT series in OT where he was on a 2 on 1 and said f*** it, I'm doing this myself, and cut to the front, dangled and hit the bar. Would have been incredible had that shot actually gone in, but I wasn't complaining when Bailey cashed in on the rebound lol

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think he puts up 75-85 points with an improved power play and more time with Eberle on his line.

IMO, we should try and extend him ASAP. If he rebounds and puts up a ton of points, we're going to wish we reached some sort of deal beforehand.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A Lafontaine-like jump . . . runner-up for MVP and 100+ points . . . the big surprise is halfway through the year when Eberle gets a minor injury and Wahlstrom gets the call. Wahlstrom goes on a goal scoring streak on MB's right wing, and Eberle gets the nickname Wally Pipp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad