Expectations for Barzal 2019-2020?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think he puts up 75-85 points with an improved power play and more time with Eberle on his line.

IMO, we should try and extend him ASAP. If he rebounds and puts up a ton of points, we're going to wish we reached some sort of deal beforehand.
Hope so but easier said than done. These young elites are all looking to what Marner gets and what Nylander did and they are in no hurry. The game is changing a bit and the good 'ol year ahead, team friendly bridge deal is not a layup anymore.

Reactions: PWJunior

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Honestly, unless Lee and Eberle start scoring more, Beau somehow breaks out next to his old pal, someone of note and ability is brought in, or one of the prospects lands on the scene like no one is expecting - and these things happen on a line with Barzal - I'm not seeing all too much difference to last season.

BUT...

We have a new PP coach and if we can have a PP in the top 10-15 in the league, then Barzal is very likely to be a huge beneficiary of that. I also believe the staff will be hounding on him to shoot more.

As such, as things stand now, I'm thinking a 22-53-75 style season is in the cards.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
A little update...

upload_2019-10-18_11-17-26.png

On pace for:

35 Goals
35 Assists
70 Points

11 GWG :o

All while rocking a positive CF% and a low OZS%

This is the start of a great season, IMO. Just 1 or 2 good games can boost those paces up to ppg :) 35 goals would be awesome.

Reactions: Quicklime and dood

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Barzals point totals will hit a glass ceiling due to the lack of people who can skate with him and finish his plays.

Hopefully he realizes this and begins shooting more and scoring more.

You put him on a deep team with shooters and he is capable of 70+ Assists, I can't see him with more then 50-55 on this team, which is still nothing to scoff at, especially if he ups his goal total and becomes a 30G guy

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Barzals point totals will hit a glass ceiling due to the lack of people who can skate with him and finish his plays.

Hopefully he realizes this and begins shooting more and scoring more.

You put him on a deep team with shooters and he is capable of 70+ Assists, I can't see him with more then 50-55 on this team, which is still nothing to scoff at, especially if he ups his goal total and becomes a 30G guy
I expect 30 goals, and 50 assists would be a fine season. He seems to be furthering his half court game, Trotz has stapled Lee to him because we need them to mesh. We are going to be a better team than last year when Eberle comes back.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
So how much is everyone ready to offer him? Eight games ago I thought he couldn't shoot. If he continues this level of play throughout the season I can see him getting seven or eight times 10.5.

Maybe 11.

That's a big If, but I think we've all learned its not wise to let our players get anywhere near free agency.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So how much is everyone ready to offer him? Eight games ago I thought he couldn't shoot. If he continues this level of play throughout the season I can see him getting seven or eight times 10.5.

Maybe 11.

That's a big If, but I think we've all learned its not wise to let our players get anywhere near free agency.

I'd offer him Eichel's contract right now, 8 years at $10M per and pray he signs it. If we have to go to $10.5M to protect against an OS, so be it. Get it done quickly and avoid all the drama like that team up north.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'd offer him Eichel's contract right now, 8 years at $10M per and pray he signs it. If we have to go to $10.5M to protect against an OS, so be it. Get it done quickly and avoid all the drama like that team up north.

I think that would be a good deal for him, he's 13 games removed from a pretty disappointing season. I'd offer him 9 times 8 to get the ball rolling and hope he takes 10 times 8.

If we were the Bruins or Rangers and he was on the team I'd probably wait until Mar or April to see if he can keep this up. We don't have that luxury so I want it done fast.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yep. And I'd give him until Wednesday morning to sign it. Nothing personal but if he doesn't want to make a commitment to being an Islander we have to get a return on our investment. Imagine the prospect haul Barzal would bring! We'd be set up perfectly for the future.

Reactions: Instant

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think that would be a good deal for him, he's 13 games removed from a pretty disappointing season. I'd offer him 9 times 8 to get the ball rolling and hope he takes 10 times 8.

If we were the Bruins or Rangers and he was on the team I'd probably wait until Mar or April to see if he can keep this up. We don't have that luxury so I want it done fast.

Whatever the contract details come out to be, I'll just be happy that we can lock him up. Ideally 8 years, but I could see 5 years with the buffoonery in Toronto screwing it up for us.

This version of Barzal is better than I imagined he would become. Trotz is worth every penny, he got an all offense wonder kid to commit to defense at 21/22 years old. He also got him to look to shoot first more and it's paying off. Trotz can match power for power by putting Barzal up against the other team's #1C and have a reasonable chance to win the matchup both offensively and defensively every night. Nelson can take on the bigger power centers, but watching them chase Barzal around all night could work too.

Barzal is the franchise, I have faith that Lou will get a deal done.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
9x6 ala Rantanen is what I could see if he keeps up his current pace. Not sure 8 year deals are even on the table anymore for these kids.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Whatever the contract details come out to be, I'll just be happy that we can lock him up. Ideally 8 years, but I could see 5 years with the buffoonery in Toronto screwing it up for us.

This version of Barzal is better than I imagined he would become. Trotz is worth every penny, he got an all offense wonder kid to commit to defense at 21/22 years old. He also got him to look to shoot first more and it's paying off. Trotz can match power for power by putting Barzal up against the other team's #1C and have a reasonable chance to win the matchup both offensively and defensively every night. Nelson can take on the bigger power centers, but watching them chase Barzal around all night could work too.

Barzal is the franchise, I have faith that Lou will get a deal done.

Barzy is getting better and better.. Kid is a plus 14, he is getting no cheap empty net points and very little PP points....Sky is the limit. Eichel money it's looking like. Good luck chasing this guy around for 8 years NHL

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Trotz molding Barzal into a Datsyuk 2.0.

A 2 way stud C.
giphy.gif

Barzal now PPG with 9g 11a for 20p in 20g's and +14 (currently 5th in the NHL). The kid is a beast all over the ice.

Seems like Barzal went off the rails in the 1st Pens game to earn a 3rd period benching by Trotz. 3 assists and a much stronger game last night. Trotz even went power versus power matching Barzal up against Malkin late in the game. Trotz is worth his weight in Platinum, screw Gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->