Expectations and Predictions for 2013. Be as off the wall as you want to be

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Crosby gave the org a big hometown discount and I'm sure it is an unspoken understanding that Shero now needs to use that money to find his captain a legit winger.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Ummm. Are you serious? This is a bit of a different situation, is it not? Things did not go exactly as planned, unless you think it's still October.

I think Raggamuffin means that when the market opens, we can and should expect Shero to be active. After all, he has had enough time to flesh out deals with his fellow GM's and as he were in on the Suter/Parise combo, one has to expect that he still sees the need for a good defender and a top6 forward.

Also, Shero will need to make a decision as regards the number of D-men we have on one way deals. Obviously using the need to do 'something' there means that it would be nice to trim that number while adding someone useful.

And yes, this much cap-room hopefully won't be allowed to burn a hole in his pocket. Keeping some powder for the deadline or not.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I definitely don't expect anything soon. I think we check out camp and go about 10-20 games with what we have. I think a lot of teams will do the same.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
-Malkin once again is the MVP; He edges Jordan Staal by less than 10 points.

-Sutter is involved in a trade for a major upgrade at wing.

-Vokoun has a hot streak and ends up playing more games than Fleury.

-Paul Martin gets early season Norris buzz, but later remembers he's Paul Martin.

-Penguins secure the 3rd seed in the east.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think Raggamuffin means that when the market opens, we can and should expect Shero to be active. After all, he has had enough time to flesh out deals with his fellow GM's and as he were in on the Suter/Parise combo, one has to expect that he still sees the need for a good defender and a top6 forward.

Also, Shero will need to make a decision as regards the number of D-men we have on one way deals. Obviously using the need to do 'something' there means that it would be nice to trim that number while adding someone useful.

And yes, this much cap-room hopefully won't be allowed to burn a hole in his pocket. Keeping some powder for the deadline or not.

He was quoting me, and I agree with that sentiment. I am not for spending the cap space just to spend it, and we are a pretty damn good team, even the cup favorites, as is. But we are NOT a team without holes, and to not get a wing for Crosby with some of that space, or firm up the defense, is criminal. Letting Semin go was ridiculous as he would have been only one year and would have only cost cap space.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
An NHL hockey player, perhaps even a good one, will come out of the closet about being gay.

Hey, sorry guys: this was the best I could at 2 in the morning with a melatonin sublingual in my mouth and a few other things in my system, and about to crash. But if I'm right, on this way-off-the-wall prediction, then I'll look like a genius! ;)

(no homo, btw)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby gave the org a big hometown discount and I'm sure it is an unspoken understanding that Shero now needs to use that money to find his captain a legit winger.

I hope so. Could you imagine a 36 year old Crosby reflecting back on that hometown discount he gave, all so he could play with Pascal Dupuis for his entire career?

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
An NHL hockey player, perhaps even a good one, will come out of the closet about being gay.

Hey, sorry guys: this was the best I could at 2 in the morning with a melatonin sublingual in my mouth and a few other things in my system, and about to crash. But if I'm right, on this way-off-the-wall prediction, then I'll look like a genius! ;)

(no homo, btw)

Freudianism would absolutely tear this post a new one....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

(no homo, btw)

Just because I like to nibble on guys ears . . . .

images

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

(no homo, btw)

Big question is who will it be. LOL

Any suggestions? I say a Flyer. LMAO

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
  • Crosby wins Hart/Art/Rocket/Lindsay/Smythe
  • Jordan Staal wins Selke
  • MAF/Vokoun win Jennings
  • MAF gets nominated for Vezina but loses

OT:
  • Oilers trade for Roberto Luongo in a deal that includes Magnus Paarvi.
  • Leafs don't make playoffs but also don't suck enough to get a high first round pick
  • Ovechkin gets back to scoring 1 pt/gm
  • Jagr says he'd like to play of Pittsburgh one last time
  • Don Cherry is a Pejorative Slur... Not really a prediction, just a continuation of the norm

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I thought that you were kidding and knew.

Our special teams were spectacular. Regular season.

5th PP %, 4th PP goals, 3rd PK %, 2nd PK goals allowed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=misc&cut_type=0&sort=447

The Pens scored the most goals in the NHL and it was not even close:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/b...ence=NHL&year=season_2011&cut_type=0&sort=404

Even our defense was only middle of the pack, though 5 on 5 obviously would be worse than these numbers given how stellar the special teams play was. Again regular season.

17th in goals allowed:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=oppteamstats&conference=NHL&year=season_2011

And all of that was with losing among the most man games in the NHL, including some of the top players in the game for huge chunks of the season. Which brings us to the point of how much one bad week in Philly has skewed perceptions of the Pens to ridiculous proportions. They sucked against Philly in the playoffs. But people seem to forget how truly good they were before that. And the tear that they went on toward the end of the year. Only a couple weeks before people were asking if the playoffs even needed to be played with how the Pens were playing. There is no reason to suspect that the Pens will be any less formidible. The core of the team is barely entering its prme. Crosby and Malkin are only 25 and 26 for instance.

#4 in shots against / game (mostly defense)
#22 in team SV% (mostly goaltender)

I wonder what is the Pen's biggest weakness that leads to that 17th in goals allowed?

I'm going with below average goaltending.

StoneColdFlower*

Guarantee: We will win it all if we sweep next weekend.

Penguin Power!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad