Speculation: Expansion draft

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
NHL GMs generally understand that players in big roles on awful teams can look a lot worse than the same player in a secondary role on a good team. In Dekeyser's case, there's even proof of that.

I think a lot of teams also understand that we overpaid him because of the state of our defense, and would have no interest in adding a player like Dekeyser at his pricetag.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If the wings are committing to retooling or rebuilding I don't think it makes sense to consider trading Mrazek. There is no reason we can't wait it out and see. He is still quite young by goalie standards and playing in front of a horrendous D.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If the wings are committing to retooling or rebuilding I don't think it makes sense to consider trading Mrazek. There is no reason we can't wait it out and see. He is still quite young by goalie standards and playing in front of a horrendous D.

On top of that, his value is completely tanked. His struggles were at the end of last season and continued into this year. I think someone might take a flier on him as a 2nd goalie in a tandem hoping he emerges, but that's about it. Nobody is trading for him like he's a #1 guy, so you're not getting anything but secondary assets at best.

So yeah, just keep him and hope for the best. There's plenty of other forwards I'd rather shed first.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What is someone going to pay for a guy who is -13, on pace for 11 pts, and makes 5 million a year?

More than nothing? I don't think he's overpaid to be a second pairing, 20-22 minute PK defensive D. He's had a very rough season but he's in a bit over his head on a shallow team playing a questionable system (at least for the talent level of this team).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
More than nothing? I don't think he's overpaid to be a second pairing, 20-22 minute PK defensive D. He's had a very rough season but he's in a bit over his head on a shallow team playing a questionable system (at least for the talent level of this team).

More than nothing if salary was retained. If you do that, he'd net something of value. Without it you're probably giving him away.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think you're undervaluing Dekeyser a bit. If Holland is looking at exposing him at the draft, he needs to make him available at the deadline and get something back for him.

That's irrelevant to my comment. It's implicit that if he's on the roster and is being exposed, then the trade route would've already been sought and fallen through. Holland isn't going to expose his beloved Michigan boys without having first taken the long road towards coming to terms with the fact that most of his Michigan boys just aren't that great.

As for his value, no, I don't think I'm undermining it. Literally the only feasible trade I can think of would be DD at $1M retained in exchange for Dennis Wideman, as Calgary has been interested in a steady defenseman since the last off-season (as opposed to most of the league being interested in puck-movers) and they're about the only team that could convince themselves that DD might actually look good on their roster, considering he'd be in the 3rd/4th D role.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He's not physical, has terrible defensive numbers, and as a fact, has the worst points per game ratio of any defenseman who makes $4.5M or more despite seeing much more PP time than many of the guys around him. Why would anyone give up anything of consequence to add that to their team?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's not physical, has terrible defensive numbers, and as a fact, has the worst points per game ratio of any defenseman who makes $4.5M or more despite seeing much more PP time than many of the guys around him. Why would anyone give up anything of consequence to add that to their team?

He'd be a depth add or swap. Think Trevor Daley. You might swap another contract with him. Or you're going to have to retain some of his salary.

Best case scenario you bundle him with another asset for a better blueliner. Maybe a guy who the team fears is leaving anyway, one day... Trouba? That's if they even want him, which their fans certainly indicate they don't.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
DeKeyser has been awful this year but he's been miscast as a #1 and is on a terrible team. He definitely has value to some team, even at his salary, that he'd bring back assets and if he's left exposed you're losing him for nothing because I'd be certain that's who Vegas claims.

Much rather shed one of Howard, Ericsson, Helm or Abdelkader before DD.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think a lot of teams also understand that we overpaid him because of the state of our defense, and would have no interest in adding a player like Dekeyser at his pricetag.
There's nothing wrong about his pricetag. As with all bad teams, you'll have a lot of players that look worse than they are in reality. Dekeyser is comparable to a guy like Petry, who looked bad in Edmonton but has been great for Montreal. Looking around the league there are a ton of comparable d-men that make similar money.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We had many advocates right here that were high on Petry when he was in Edmonton. And subsequently disappointed when the Wings didn't land him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/dekeyda01.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/petryje01.html

Has he really? He was awful when surrounded by bad talent. Good when surrounded by good talent.
DeKeyser was good when surrounded by good talent and bad when surrounded by bad.

Yeah, playing in front of Price and on a depth chart behind Weber and Markov has to help him. Slide Dekeyser into that type of spot and I think a lot of his issues go away.

I think folks are too down on his value because he's being asked to do too much here, and he's not living up to some expectations that might just be a bit too high. The guy's not a toss-in for a deal, and if we can't get something reasonable, there's no reason to deal him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Shifting gears, but still on the expansion draft...

There's a lot of pages here, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned / covered / beaten to death.

Detroit can only protect one goalie. Howard has a NTC. Vegas MUST select AT LEAST 3 goalies from around the league.

Doesn't that guarantee that either they get Howard to waive his clause, or Mrazek gets exposed? Just wondering, based on the recent article on Mrazek.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

There's a lot of pages here, so my apologies if this has already been mentioned / covered / beaten to death.

Detroit can only protect one goalie. Howard has a NTC. Vegas MUST select AT LEAST 3 goalies from around the league.

Doesn't that guarantee that either they get Howard to waive his clause, or Mrazek gets exposed? Just wondering, based on the recent article on Mrazek.

Howard can be exposed, only NMCs have to be protected.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

No NTC aren't exempt from the expansion draft, Only NMC are so we only need to protect Nielsen Howard is fair game for Vegas.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah, playing in front of Price and on a depth chart behind Weber and Markov has to help him. Slide Dekeyser into that type of spot and I think a lot of his issues go away.

I think folks are too down on his value because he's being asked to do too much here, and he's not living up to some expectations that might just be a bit too high. The guy's not a toss-in for a deal, and if we can't get something reasonable, there's no reason to deal him.

If the expectations are too high for DeKeyser than he shouldn't be getting paid 5M/year. With that kind of pay come high expectations.

Also, the "quality of competition" argument for Dekeyser doesn't fly for me. Making tons of unforced turnovers, having 0 offensive IQ, and losing nearly every physical battle in the corner have nothing to do with quality of competition and those are the biggest reasons he sucks.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If the expectations are too high for DeKeyser than he shouldn't be getting paid 5M/year. With that kind of pay come high expectations.

Also, the "quality of competition" argument for Dekeyser doesn't fly for me. Making tons of unforced turnovers, having 0 offensive IQ, and losing nearly every physical battle in the corner have nothing to do with quality of competition and those are the biggest reasons he sucks.

In a lot of ways he's similar to Jonathan Ericsson. Both guys have been put in positions they are not really capable of handling. When they are put into those positions they rightly ask for the salary commensurate with those responsibilities.

I have no problem trading DeKeyser as I don't think he's an essential part of a core in 5-7 years. I also am not in a big hurry to move him, he's going to be somewhat worth his contract, which you can say about very few guys on this roster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We had many advocates right here that were high on Petry when he was in Edmonton. And subsequently disappointed when the Wings didn't land him.

I was one. Said at the time he was better than DeKeyser and it wasn't particularly close and still believe that today.

Petry wasn't nearly as bad for the bad Oilers (who were worse than these Wings) as DeKeyser has been this year. So no, Petry significantly outplayed DeKeyser when their situations have been similar and when on a good team he outplayed him significantly there as well. Primarily because he is a much better second pairing D-man than DK in my opinion.

For those of us worried about flipping him for Trouba like it was some kind of lateral move, well there is some egg on the face. Our D-core would be better in that kind of swap even while damaging the wing to give up better assets. Oh well, I don't expect DK to be moved, but nobody should be worried if he does, he is a mediocre 2nd pairing D-man in my opinion.

He should not be left exposed in the expansion draft though as he does have some value at least he should depending on just how bad his play continues to get in the second half. It is in a pretty deep spiral right now, hopefully he bounces back after the break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad