Expansion Draft.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
We are fine with the expansion draft, we still won't lose anyone of importance and we have room on D now to protect a third guy if we sign or trade for one.

If the Devils don't bring anyone on this season, could definitely see them making a trade just prior to the expansion draft for a defenseman that would otherwise have been exposed.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
If the Devils don't bring anyone on this season, could definitely see them making a trade just prior to the expansion draft for a defenseman that would otherwise have been exposed.

This is a great point. Being patient is really the best way to go right now.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
As of now, I would put it at:

1F - Hall
2F - Henrique
3F - Palmieri
4F - Zajac
5F - Boucher
6F - Blandisi
7F - ???

Toss up between Bennett, DSP, Josefson or someone else the Devils acquire (most likely). Just sucks that Blandisi most likely needs to be protected despite only playing 2 pro seasons (he technically signed for the prior year to burn a year off his ELC, but never played).

On defense:

1D - Severson
2D - Greene
3D - ???

Most likely is a UFA they sign. Otherwise, will have to see how Merril, Moore, Scarlett & Helgeson perform this season. Would be surprised if they protected Moore with only one season on his contract.

You forgot about protecting Cam. Or maybe you didn't!

Seriously though like someone else said earlier, there will be teams who have very good players that may be exposed to the draft. With the Picks we have accumulated we may be in the unique position to grab someone cheap. I think Nashville has 4 good Dmen. Maybe one of those guys for Florida's 2018 2nd rounder?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
You forgot about protecting Cam. Or maybe you didn't!

Seriously though like someone else said earlier, there will be teams who have very good players that may be exposed to the draft. With the Picks we have accumulated we may be in the unique position to grab someone cheap. I think Nashville has 4 good Dmen. Maybe one of those guys for Florida's 2018 2nd rounder?

Yes, I did forget about Cam - good call, will update. If he is injured again most of the season, maybe they don't protect him.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think we might.

he signed his contract during the 2014-15 season and it counted that year. last year (15-16) was his 2nd year. this coming year (16-17) will be his 3rd year and he is RFA after the year

I thought it was an error at first when generalfanager.com had him listed as needing to be protected, but when I looked into when he signed the contract and I believe this is the case.

Rather stupid when you consider he doesn't actually have that 1st year pro "experience" since he was in the OHL the entire season, but I think he will need to be protected.

EDIT - I tried to look at the specific rules on this, but it's not clear what defines 1st & 2nd year players. At this point, I think it's up in the air as to whether or not Blandisi needs to be protected. Too bad TG is no longer on the beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad