Expansion Draft.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Well the valuable ones. Someone like Dustin Brown will surely be exposed as LA is begging someone to take that contract off their hands. Clarkson is another off the top of my head.

Doubt Vegas does them any favors.

Not sure what Browns leadership skills are any more. But he would be a pretty smart pick up for a team like them.

Has a lot of experience as a Captain on a Cup winning team. Yea, he is paid to much but do they really care? Also i think the forward pickings are going to be slim and he at least has a bit of a name. Depending on who is available it might not be a bad move for a new franchises.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not sure what Browns leadership skills are any more. But he would be a pretty smart pick up for a team like them.

Has a lot of experience as a Captain on a Cup winning team. Yea, he is paid to much but do they really care? Also i think the forward pickings are going to be slim and he at least has a bit of a name. Depending on who is available it might not be a bad move for a new franchises.

I think you care because his contract is a disaster and he is quickly falling off a cliff skill wise.

The only reason you pick him is if you are desperate to reach the floor, and even that is short-sighted. There will be exposed forwards that bring what Brown brings at a fraction of the cost.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brown easily has the second worst contract in the league, after that joke of a David Clarkson contract.

He gets paid more than Zajac and is signed for one year longer than Zajac and even produced fewer PPG's than Zajac in Trav's really bad 14-15 season, and Zajac has outscored him by quite a bit in the two seasons on each end of that one.

He still has GREAT corsi numbers, but as Jacob Josefson has taught us in recent years, none of that means anything when you can't break the 30 point barrier for 3 years in a row, which Brown hasn't cleared in 3 years.

His durability and the corsi are literally the only things going for him, and I guess maybe his physical play.

elindholm

Jun 3, 2013
No GM is dumb enough to trade for either of those 2 contracts (Clarkie/Brown) and you can put Foligno's contact as well.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No GM is dumb enough to trade for either of those 2 contracts (Clarkie/Brown) and you can put Foligno's contact as well.

Absolutely agreed on Foligno.

ANY contract for that clown of a coach is absurd, even if it's only for one year. He has no business at all being a coach of any kind at this level.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Taking Brown in an expansion draft would be the last move of Vegas's GMs career. There will be plenty of other crap on the market to pick up without taking on that dumpster fire of a contract.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Still, Las Vegas has to reach a percentage of the cap floor for the 1st season. So they may take one ugly contract to reach it.

I don't think that means they take on an ugly contract that stretches on for several seasons, unless a team adds additional incentive.

Vegas still gets to sign unrestricted free agents after the draft to get above the floor (if needed) and/or could take on salary like the Devils and Canes are this offseason. No need to take an albatross contract.

As for the Devils, I've already read elsewhere that Clowe will be exempt (guys that are essentially retired but with NMC will not need to be protected, nor with guys with NMC's that are expiring several days after the draft).

Will be interesting to see how the Devils offseason affects the expansion draft protected players - already have 3 D that they have to protect, so signing any big name UFA defenseman (as many have suggested) will cause issues - possibly going from the 7F/3D split to 4F/4D.

GeneralFanager is also listing Blandisi as someone you can protect, though I don't think that is necessary as this upcoming season will only be his 2nd year pro.

Currently, I would say the protected list would be:

1F - Henrique
2F - Palmeiri
3F - Zajac
4F - Cammaleri
5F - Boucher
6F - Smith-Pelley
7F - Josefson

1D - Larrson
2D - Severson
3D - Greene

G - Schneider

I think that Smith-Pelley & Josefson both probably fall off the list due to signings this offseason and/or trades over the next 12 months (including the days leading up to the expansion draft). I would be surprised if Zajac were exposed. Cammaleri I could see if he is injured again this upcoming season.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I don't think that means they take on an ugly contract that stretches on for several seasons, unless a team adds additional incentive.

Vegas still gets to sign unrestricted free agents after the draft to get above the floor (if needed) and/or could take on salary like the Devils and Canes are this offseason. No need to take an albatross contract.

As for the Devils, I've already read elsewhere that Clowe will be exempt (guys that are essentially retired but with NMC will not need to be protected, nor with guys with NMC's that are expiring several days after the draft).

Will be interesting to see how the Devils offseason affects the expansion draft protected players - already have 3 D that they have to protect, so signing any big name UFA defenseman (as many have suggested) will cause issues - possibly going from the 7F/3D split to 4F/4D.

GeneralFanager is also listing Blandisi as someone you can protect, though I don't think that is necessary as this upcoming season will only be his 2nd year pro.

Currently, I would say the protected list would be:

1F - Henrique
2F - Palmeiri
3F - Zajac
4F - Cammaleri
5F - Boucher
6F - Smith-Pelley
7F - Josefson

1D - Larrson
2D - Severson
3D - Greene

G - Schneider

I think that Smith-Pelley & Josefson both probably fall off the list due to signings this offseason and/or trades over the next 12 months (including the days leading up to the expansion draft). I would be surprised if Zajac were exposed. Cammaleri I could see if he is injured again this upcoming season.

You also have to consider that teams must expose 2 forwards and on D that play 40 games this season or a combined 70 over the past 2 seasons...that's why I'm down for signing josefson for 2 years. He can be one of the forwards. The other one? DSP? Camm?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You also have to consider that teams must expose 2 forwards and on D that play 40 games this season or a combined 70 over the past 2 seasons...that's why I'm down for signing josefson for 2 years. He can be one of the forwards. The other one? DSP? Camm?

John Moore is likely going to be that DMan. or Merrill.

as far as forwards go, as you said, I wouldn't mind signing a 4th line type guy for 2 years instead of 1 to get around that

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Good point. Chances are that DSP & Josefson will be exposed as the Devils bring on other players...however, some other scenarios I could see if the Devils want to protect one/both of them and need to exposure experienced forwards would be to...

* Sign a veteran 3rd/4th liner to a one-year extension prior to the draft (Gionta type player).
* Make a minor trade for a guy that would count (could see a lot of these types of deals).
* Far fetched - but if Elias comes back for next season, would they consider signing him to an extension (low base / heavy bonuses) knowing there's a good chance he may not come back.

Then there's a player like Kalinin - only 2 years pro in NA, so he doesn't have to be protected, but could the Devils choose to expose him to count towards the 40/70 players? Unlikely it comes down to that, but just curious...

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
John Moore is likely going to be that DMan. or Merrill.

as far as forwards go, as you said, I wouldn't mind signing a 4th line type guy for 2 years instead of 1 to get around that

As long as it isn't Gio...Hell, Farnham got into 53 games last year, so sign him for two years and play him in 17 games this year if need be.

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Good point. Chances are that DSP & Josefson will be exposed as the Devils bring on other players...however, some other scenarios I could see if the Devils want to protect one/both of them and need to exposure experienced forwards would be to...

* Sign a veteran 3rd/4th liner to a one-year extension prior to the draft (Gionta type player).
* Make a minor trade for a guy that would count (could see a lot of these types of deals).
* Far fetched - but if Elias comes back for next season, would they consider signing him to an extension (low base / heavy bonuses) knowing there's a good chance he may not come back.

Then there's a player like Kalinin - only 2 years pro in NA, so he doesn't have to be protected, but could the Devils choose to expose him to count towards the 40/70 players? Unlikely it comes down to that, but just curious...

That's a good question about exposing guys with less than 2 years.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
CllP95rUgAAMLEK.jpg:large

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So we have to protect Clowe, even though he gives permission to waive his NMC?

No they specifically point out those who have NMC's (and decline to waive such clauses) must be protected. Meaning if you waive the clause you can be left unprotected.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm sure Clowe will waive, and I'm also sure the expansion team wouldn't take him.

He'll never play again, he's already said that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm sure Clowe will waive, and I'm also sure the expansion team wouldn't take him.

He'll never play again, he's already said that.

Only way they would take a contract like that is if they were worried about reaching the floor and we really had nothing better exposed.

There will be someone worth taking a flyer on.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Only way they would take a contract like that is if they were worried about reaching the floor and we really had nothing better exposed.

There will be someone worth taking a flyer on.

I'm thinking Cammalleri or Moore will be the sacrificial lamb on our side. Or they could wind up taking some schlep like Josefson, if they can find other pretty good players from other teams.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm thinking Cammalleri or Moore will be the sacrificial lamb on our side. Or they could wind up taking some schlep like Josefson, if they can find other pretty good players from other teams.

We don't have enough forwards to protect. No reason to expose Cammy. Every D not named Lars, Greene, and Severson are getting exposed. We would need to sign two new forwards of note to be forced to decide to expose someone.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We don't have enough forwards to protect. No reason to expose Cammy. Every D not named Lars, Greene, and Severson are getting exposed. We would need to sign two new forwards of note to be forced to decide to expose someone.

I'm working under the assumption that we acquire some forwards. Apparently Blandisi will also be eligible to be claimed, which is ******** to me. Especially if he's still on an ELC.

But if we don't have enough forwards to protect, I certainly would be more than alright with keeping Cammalleri too. I just think it makes sense to leave him unprotected in a worst case scenario.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
According to this stickied thread on BoH, there are actually two options for protecting players:

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:
a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender
b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender
* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2094201

So if we are defensemen heavy and do not have many forwards worth protecting (an unfortunate but likely circumstance), there is the option to shield as many defensemen as necessary in exchange for protecting two less skaters overall (8 instead of 10).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm working under the assumption that we acquire some forwards. Apparently Blandisi will also be eligible to be claimed, which is ******** to me. Especially if he's still on an ELC.

But if we don't have enough forwards to protect, I certainly would be more than alright with keeping Cammalleri too. I just think it makes sense to leave him unprotected in a worst case scenario.

Seems stupid that Blandisi would need to be protected.

He would have only played 2 years pro by the end of next season. However, he signed his ELC on January 14th, 2015 which included the 2014-2015 season (to burn a year off his ELC, much like Santini & Wood did this season), yet Blandisi only played in the OHL in 2014-2015.

So, are the Devils getting screwed on this technicality?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad