Expansion Draft. Who would the Oilers protect?

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
In light of the news/speculation that the NHL might be expanding in 2017 to 34 teams, I was thinking about how the expansion draft would work.

In 2000, teams were allowed to protect either 1G, 5D, and 9F or 2G, 3D, and 7F. There were also rules about some of your unprotected players needing at least however many NHL games of experience. It seems to me that rookies and prospects were also exempt from being drafted by the new teams.

So, just for fun and assuming the same rules as 2000 (although they will probably change), who would the Oilers protect?

Nuge
Hall
Yakupov
Eberle
Perron
Pouliot
Purcell
Lander
Arcobello?

Schultz
Ference
Fayne
Petry
Marincin?

Scrivens

Actually, I'm not sure if my list follows the rules. Am I leaving a defenseman unprotected that has played at least 40 games? I don't think I am.

Also, it guarantees Fasth leaves. So the other way of doing it would be this...

Nuge
Hall
Yakupov
Eberle
Perron
Pouliot
Purcell

Schultz
Fayne
Petry

Scrivens
Fasth

Thoughts?

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Id do

Forwards:
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Nuge, Pouliot, Purcell, Gordon, Perron, Hendricks

Defenceman:
Fayne, Schultz, Marincin, Petry, Nikitin

Goalie:
Scrivens

So id leave Ference, Fasth, Acrobello, Lander, Gazdic

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its going to be mighty embarassing when our unprotected players dont get picked at all cause they suck choads

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
its going to be mighty embarassing when our unprotected players dont get picked at all cause they suck choads

Why would it be embarrassing? Under 2000s rules, you are basically protecting your top 3 lines of forwards, your top 5 of 6 dmen and your starting goaltender.

So basically the new teams are picking from everyone's 4th line, 6-7th dmen and back up goaltenders. When it comes to these types of players, there isn't a huge size of difference in skill set..

It makes me wonder how expansion teams have any type of success.. unless they can some how sign every player in the UFA market, but if the NHL adds 4 new teams than that is going to limit the chances of getting a bunch of UFAs for them.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Why would it be embarrassing? Under 2000s rules, you are basically protecting your top 3 lines of forwards, your top 5 of 6 dmen and your starting goaltender.

So basically the new teams are picking from everyone's 4th line, 6-7th dmen and back up goaltenders. When it comes to these types of players, there isn't a huge size of difference in skill set..

It makes me wonder how expansion teams have any type of success.. unless they can some how sign every player in the UFA market, but if the NHL adds 4 new teams than that is going to limit the chances of getting a bunch of UFAs for them.

Actually teams with better system depth are more likely to succeed and especially in the playoffs. Theres teams that have 4th lines or system players that play better than most of our lines.
Also teams like the Kings that have system D depth that is incredible

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Here's the original 2000 protected rules and list.
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=471086

According to the 2000 Expansion Rules, you have to note the following;

a) Exempt from the Expansion Draft are (i) all first and second-year pros and (ii) unsigned draft choices (except unsigned draft choices drafted from European clubs in the 1996 Entry Draft or before and who remain unsigned).

b) Each club was allowed to protect either (i) up to five defensemen, nine forwards and one goaltender, or (ii) up to three defensemen, seven forwards and two goaltenders.

c) Each club was required to expose for claim at least the following players who meet the experience requirements indicated below:

i) ONE GOALTENDER --
For clubs protecting one goaltender, no experience requirement. For clubs protecting two goaltenders, either 10 NHL games played in the 2013/14 season or 25 NHL games played over the last two seasons.

ii) ONE DEFENSEMAN --
Either 40 NHL games played in the 2013/14 season or 70 NHL games played over the last two seasons. Games played include regular season and playoff games.

iii) TWO FORWARDS - Either 40 NHL games played in the 2013/14 season or 70 NHL games played over the last two seasons.

Since goalies are a dime a dozen, I would imagine that the Oilers would only protect one goaltender.

Oilers exempt list (First and Second Year Pros and Unsigned Draft Choices: Nail Yakupov (hasn't started third pro year yet), Leon Draisatl, Justin Schultz (hasn't started third pro year yet), David Musil (one year pro), Jujhai Khaira, Martin Gernat (one year pro), Andrew Miller (one year pro), Laurent Brossoit (one year pro), Darnell Nurse,

Martin Marincin played one game in 2010/11 and six games in 2011/12 so unfortunately, he could not be exempted as he has completed four years pro?

Oscar Klefbom SHL years - does that count as pro? I'm guess yes.

Hence I can see the Oiler protected list to be
Nine Forwards: Taylor Hall, RNH, Jordan Eberle, David Perron, Teddy Purcell, Benoit Pouliot, Boyd Gordon, Mark Arcobello, Anton Lander.
Five Defenders: Mark Fayne, Martin Marincin, Oscar Klefbom, Jeff Petry, Andrew Ference.
One goalie: Ben Scrivens

exposed: Victor Fasth, Matt Hendricks (played 40 NHL games), Jesse Joensuu (played 40 NHL games), Luke Gazdic (played 40 NHL games), Nikita Nikitin (played 40 NHL games), Phillip Larsen (played 40 NHL games), Keith Aulie, Tyler Pitlick (3rd year pro), Curtis Hamilton (3rd year pro), Roman Horak (3rd year pro)

Last edited:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^there likely no chance that Lander at this moment gets protected over the 2 players this organization really seems to like....Hendricks and Gazdic. one of these 2 would be protected over him in my opinion.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
9F
1 Hall
2 RNH
3 Eberle
4 Perron
5 Yakupov
6 Purcell
7 Poulliot
8 Gordon
9 Arcobello

That leaves: Gazdic, Hendricks, Lander, Joensuu

5D
1 Schultz
2 Fayne
3 Petry
4 Marincin
5 Nikitin

That leaves: Ference, Aulie

1G
1 Scrivens

That leaves: Fasth

One thing to think about is maybe leaving Purcell and Petry unprotected for the fact that they are going to be inpending UFA's. This could be smart if we know we aren't going to re-sign them, or if we do not want to sign them. This would allow us to protect players with multiple years left such as Hendricks and Ference.

All-in-all, I think Fasth would be taken for sure. Hendricks and Ference would have a pretty good chance of being poached as a young expansion team would be looking for veteran foot soldiers that are good leaders. The rest, I would be surprised if they got taken.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
^unlike some posters, i don't believe that the Oilers are in any hurry to dump Ference or his contract if an expansion draft were to happen today.

I didn't do it to "dump" him, it was just a decision of asset management between him and a younger player like Nikitin. I also even made a case for keeping Ference.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Eberle
Perron
Pouliot
Gordon

Schultz
Petry
Fayne

Scrivens
Fasth

I went with the 7F/3D/2G. I'd rather keep Fasth than Purcell, Arcobello, Nikitin, etc.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Given that this isn't going to happen for a couple years (if at all):

Forwards: Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Draisaitl, Pouliot, Purcell
Defensemen: Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, Fayne
Goalie: Scrivens

Is my best guess.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
^there likely no chance that Lander at this moment gets protected over the 2 players this organization really seems to like....Hendricks and Gazdic. one of these 2 would be protected over him in my opinion.

I doubt Gazdic or Hendricks would get drafted if we left them unprotected though.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I bet the expansion team would be better off than our current team haha

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
i would feel sorry for the expansion team that picks a unprotected Oiler.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
If there are 4 new expansion teams you can bet that the protected lists will be far less than in 2000.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I doubt Gazdic or Hendricks would get drafted if we left them unprotected though.

If there were 4 expansion teams I would be amazed If Hendricks wasnt drafted, Gazdic maybe not but you never know. New team might want a top notch fighter for entertainment considering expansion team most likely wouldnt do very well

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Four teams in the same year would have quite an impact on the rosters of current teams. It would be extremely difficult to make any of them remotely competitive without hurting the existing teams and likely the product itself. They'd probably stagger the teams entries like they did when they expanded in the early nineties. I'd want to make sure I was the first of the four in and not the last. The pickings will be slim.

Hard to speculate on who to protect because it's still a few years away and so much changes from year to year. If I had to guess now I suspect Pouliot will be available because he will be on the tail end of his questionable contract. Those are the likely candidates to be available, guys with difficult to move contracts.

It would suck if this team, after all these lean years, was finally able to build up some depth and then lose a good portion of it to an expansion draft raid.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i would feel sorry for the expansion team that picks a unprotected Oiler.

^you needn't if Gazdic were unprotected and scooped up! i believe he could, like another poster mentioned, be taken if that team wanted one of the leagues' best fighters for entertainment purposes.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
In 2017, our most valuable guys based on my guessing:

Hall, RNH, Eberle, LD, Yak, Pouliot, Purcell, Chase? Kharia? Moroz?

Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Fayne, Schultz, Simpson? Gernat?

Scrivens, LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad