Confirmed Signing with Link: Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
If MAF didn't waive his no movement clause, would it have hit the Pens with a steel chair and forced them to expose Murray?

There were still some less palatable options: send something nice to Las Vegas in order to convince them not to take Murray; try to trade Fleury and get him to waive his NMC that way; or buy Fleury's contract out.

There's some speculation that the Pens may still try to move Fleury prior to the expansion draft, and see if he'll waive it for another team. Time will tell...

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
There were still some less palatable options: send something nice to Las Vegas in order to convince them not to take Murray; try to trade Fleury and get him to waive his NMC that way; or buy Fleury's contract out.

There's some speculation that the Pens may still try to move Fleury prior to the expansion draft, and see if he'll waive it for another team. Time will tell...

If Fleury is traded before the ED, Pittsburgh would need to acquire a goaltender who meets the exposure requirements.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Those requirements are irrelevant.

It could be me if they sign me for next year.

I'd assume that you don't have 2 seasons of professional NA hockey experience as defined by the CBA, so no, you wouldn't qualify.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
They could've probably quickly signed someone like Ray Emery, any unemployed goalie would've been happy to sign an NHL contract and get some cash on his bank account.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017

would have to be something EXTREMELY nice. I don't even know if PIT could offering anything nice enough to Vegas.

Imagine starting a team and getting a 23-year old 2x cup winning franchise goalie?

No chance Murray gets exposed, tho. If MAF didn't waive, then PIT will trade him even if it's for a 7th round pick. If MAF is intent on blocking any trade outright, I would buy him out before exposing Murray.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
They could've probably quickly signed someone like Ray Emery, any unemployed goalie would've been happy to sign an NHL contract and get some cash on his bank account.

Kovalchuk and Dadonov can't be signed before July 1st because they've signed NHL contracts in the past.

I bet the same logic would also apply to Emery.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
would have to be something EXTREMELY nice. I don't even know if PIT could offering anything nice enough to Vegas.

Imagine starting a team and getting a 23-year old 2x cup winning franchise goalie?

No chance Murray gets exposed, tho. If MAF didn't waive, then PIT will trade him even if it's for a 7th round pick. If MAF is intent on blocking any trade outright, I would buy him out before exposing Murray.

Hypothetically, if Vegas is really fond of a Philip Grubauer/Michal Neuvirth tandem, Pittsburgh could probably keep them on that path and get them to ignore Matt Murray, but it would be costly. I'm thinking something along the lines of Jake Guentzel, or Daniel Sprong, or maybe a 1st rounder or two, maybe packaged up with someone like Ian Cole.

Like I said there were other "less palatable" options, hence why it's good for them that Fleury agreed to waive.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Yeah, as noted trading or buying out MAF requires Pitt to acquire another goalie via trade who meets the expansion draft goalie exposure requirement.

I doubt it would be a issue for the Pens to do that, but does illustrate some of the complexities for teams navigating the expansion draft.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Kovalchuk and Dadonov can't be signed before July 1st because they've signed NHL contracts in the past.

I bet the same logic would also apply to Emery.

Kovalchuk still belongs to the Devils. I'm talking about unemployed players, whose rights aren't held by anyone. But not sure about the rules.

But otherwise, they could simply offer a 1st rd pick to a team that has at least two goalies that can be exposed. Any GM would take advantage of their situation to squeeze them for a desperate trade.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Kovalchuk still belongs to the Devils. I'm talking about unemployed players, whose rights aren't held by anyone. But not sure about the rules.

But otherwise, they could simply offer a 1st rd pick to a team that has at least two goalies that can be exposed. Any GM would take advantage of their situation to squeeze them for a desperate trade.

Right now I'm pretty sure no one can sign until July 1 (other than players signing extensions).

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Detroit will be going the 7-3-1 route

That's what I figured.
F: Zetterberg, Nyquist, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Mantha, Athanasiou, Tatar
D: Green, DeKeyser, Jensen
G: Mrazek

Hoping we can land Sheahan. Or even Sproul as the 2nd option.

Caps doing this so they can protect Eller.

Weird. It's really a choice between Schmidt and Grubauer when it comes to Washington. Unless there's another trade coming...

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Right now I'm pretty sure no one can sign until July 1 (other than players signing extensions).

IIRC, Vegas has a window, pre Expansion draft,
when they can sign other teams' UFAs or RFAs.
Such players wil count as the Exp Draft selection from the player's prior team

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
IIRC, Vegas has a window, pre Expansion draft,
when they can sign other teams' UFAs or RFAs.
Such players wil count as the Exp Draft selection from the player's prior team

Yes, but those contracts that Vegas could sign during the window are still considered Extensions since the pending UFA/RFA players would be under their expiring 2016-17 contract at the time of the signing.

No different then the team that currently holds the pending RFA/UFA players rights signing them to an extension now.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Is it me or Carolina needs 1 signed forward and 1 signed d-man for the draft (40/70 games played)?

EDIT: Ok no, they have Stempniak and Dahlbeck.

So they need another forward or they let Nordstrom available.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Is it me or Carolina needs 1 signed forward and 1 signed d-man for the draft (40/70 games played)?

Protect: Staal, Skinner, Rask, Lindholm, Teravainen, McGinn & Di Giuseppe.
Expose: Lee Stempniak/Joakim Nordstrom/Andrej Nestrasil

Protect: Faulk, Murphy & Carrick
Expose: Klas Dahlbeck

If the price is right they have room to acquire draft eligible players both upfront (1 or 2 spots) and on defense (2 spots).

They are in excellent position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad