Confirmed Signing with Link: Expansion Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
What teams actually have a "spare" protection slot? We keep reading about potential sellers but they would seem to out number the buyers by far.

Any fans care to identify if they think their team has a spare spot.

Example:

Flyers absolutely have a spare D protection slot as Brandon Manning or Mark Alt would currently be their 3rd protected D.

Potentially would also have a Forward slot as one of Raffl, Weal, Cousins, Laughton will be their 7th forward and there may be better options via trade.

Unlikely, to have a goalie slot unless they were willing to expose Stolarz.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Leaves Vegas with a couple decent options at forward. Hoping they take Boedker(1 bad season could work better on a less talented team with more PP time) or Ward(GMGM connection, Vet leadership)

I would be happy to get Boedker in the expansion draft. We could use some scorers, he's only got three years left on his deal and could always rebound in a different system. Maybe he might even like the idea of sticking it to his old team(s) in the division. ;)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What teams actually have a "spare" protection slot? We keep reading about potential sellers but they would seem to out number the buyers by far.

Example:

Flyers absolutely have a spare D protection slot as Brandon Manning or Mark Alt would currently be their 3rd protected D.

Potentially would also have a Forward slot as one of Raffl, Weal, Cousins, Laughton will be their 7th forward and there may be better options via trade.

Jersey could protect 1 or 2 more D and even a few forwards in the right deals.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Sens have asked Dion Phaneuf to waive his NMC, as per TSN (Pierre Lebrun).

link

TSN erroneously reported in the article that Bobby has a NMC that is in need to waiving, but that's not a huge deal.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
MacDonald is a protection candidate for Hextall. Alt is not.

Did Hextall say that? Boy I'd disagree with that decision. I doubt MacDonald would be taken and if he was, he is replaceable for less. Point being I wouldn't be concerned about losing MacDonald, Manning or Alt, so there is definitely a spot available.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Example:

Detroit. Their only valuable D is Green, but they'll stupidly protect Dekeyser too. Still have a spot to burn which will be used on Jensen if it remains open.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

Example:

the avs last protection slot is going to either blake comeau or a player on waivers this season (andrighetto, nieto, off chance of barberio), so I'd say we have an extra skater slot

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Came across an interesting article:
The team said Sunday it will not be making any comment or confirmation regarding a trade or a side deal until after the Expansion Draft announcement at T-Mobile Arena on June 21. McPhee said Monday he was not discussing any potential transactions or individual players.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...hts-solidify-final-plans-for-expansion-draft/

I guess we will have to remain patient until at least next Wednesday. Wouldn't surprise me if full details of some trades don't come out until next Thursday since the expansion roster announcement will be Wednesday night.

Twinsmagic

Jan 14, 2013
Is there going to be a TV segment for this? If so, which day will it be on? I can't seem to find anything about this. Thanks!

tbassett

Jun 12, 2014
Barnesboro, PA
Is there a thread laying out the timelines leading up to the expansion draft? Just looking to understand when players can be traded before (is there a roster freeze before hand). I know players have till Friday to decide to waive NMC. But what else is going on between now and when Vegas announces their players

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Is there a thread laying out the timelines leading up to the expansion draft? Just looking to understand when players can be traded before (is there a roster freeze before hand). I know players have till Friday to decide to waive NMC. But what else is going on between now and when Vegas announces their players

June 15: One day after a (potential) Game 7 marks the beginning of the first buy-out period. Teams face the deadline to formally request that players surrender their "No move" for the purpose of a buy out.

June 16: This is last chance for general managers to place players on waivers before the Expansion Draft/Trade freeze. Meanwhile, players asked to waive their protection to accommodate the expansion strategy have until 5 p.m. ET to agree.

June 17: The freeze commences. Non-expansion teams simultaneously submit their protected lists, which puts a full stop on activity outside the Vegas boardroom.

June 18: Protected lists are dispersed league-wide (this includes Vegas) by the NHL, and the Golden Knights officially have the floor. The free agent interview period opens for the expansion club from the moment the lists are distributed. This only applies to players who have been exposed.

June 21: Vegas must submit its selections, including any standard player contract signed with a restricted or unrestricted free agent by 10 a.m. ET. The selections will be announced later that night in concurrence with the NHL Awards.

June 22: The freeze is lifted, allowing all 31 teams to resume normal day-to-day business. This comes literally just in time for the NHL Draft, which begins the next day because things aren't chaotic enough.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-updates-expansion-draft-action-plan-critical-dates-165130036.html

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

Monday, June 12: the last day for teams to ask players with no-movement clauses to waive them. (Would have been extended for PIT and NSH if they went to 7)
Friday, June 16: Players have until 5 p.m. to waive their expansion draft protections if they qualify.
By 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 17, 2017, all 30 NHL franchises are required to submit their list of protected players. The entire league will be under a roster freeze. No trades. No waivers.
Sunday, June 18: Expansion protected lists are sent out to every team, and the Golden Knights get to interview players they might want to select.
By 10 a.m. ET on June 21, the Golden Knights must submit the list of players it has selected.
On June 21, the NHL will announce those selections at the NHL Awards.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
incarcerated Bob is one of the few rumour guys who consistently gets things right. One of the few I actual trust. He posted that the Leafs have their sites set on one of Vaatenen, De Haan, Harmonic, or Barrie

IMO, the Islanders and Leafs will be fighting for a playoff spot next year so I doubt if they want the Leafs to get one of their Dmen.

It is going to be interesting

requiredusername

Apr 9, 2015

Example:

The Flyers will be unwilling to take on a dman since Morin and Hagg will be up this year and Myers and Sanheim next year. Add in Provorov, Ghost, and Gudas. Your future 7 dmen although I think one gets dealt before then because of the numbers game.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Barring any trades, the Rangers list is pretty much guaranteed to be:

Nash, Zuccarello, Stepan, Kreider, Zibanejad, Hayes, Miller
McDonagh, Giradi, Staal
Lundqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events