Expansion Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Grubauer is an UFA that might not be back. So they easily could have protected Francouz anyways if they wanted. Not to mention that Sakic spent multiple picks on backup goalies in Johansson and Dubnyk because of the damn Francouz injury.
Timmins lost a year due to concussion issues. He went from looking like a promising top4 D to a maybe. So you probably want to relax a bit. All of that had nothing to do with the expansion draft.

Also if you want to screw the Avs, you certainly do not root for them to take Gilbert. That guy has 0 future in the organisation and I even forgot we owned his rights. Losing him would be doing them a favor. The guys you want to pick to annoy the Avs are Logan O'Connor or Jacob McDonald because they are very cheap, great depth guys and earn nothing. Ideally the Avs want you to take Compher (probably not gonna happen but that would be the dream) and to a lesser extent Donskoi (provided that they find a way to keep Landeskog) to free up some capspace or a guy like Gilbert with no future in the organisation.
O'Connor is a place holder until M Kaut arrives so that would not be so great a pick but who knows maybe RFrancis decides that's all Colorado has that isn't helping them by taking a big contract. Gilbert would be a nothing pick a depth D-man an 7-8th d-man no better. Meh on McDonald..a minor leaguer

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Didn't see Carolina's screen shot; I suspect the Canes will protect Bean and expose Skjei. That is one question going back and forth on the Canes board, so I won't say it's certain.
So Carolina Protects Slavin,Pesce and Bean and Hamilton is there for the taking. I bet Francis would love that! Forget Skjei he makes too much for what he brings

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Ottawa likely protects Gus or Daccord, probably Gus if I were to guess today. Wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a trade to keep the goalies and take Chris Tierney
Chris Tierney and who..Chlapik,Abramov all 3 ? The last 2 are in Europe so that could be interesting if they ever want to come back

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So Carolina Protects Slavin,Pesce and Bean and Hamilton is there for the taking. I bet Francis would love that! Forget Skjei he makes too much for what he brings

If Francis wants to use the expansion slot to sign Hamilton as a UFA, Carolina will keep Skjei and Bean and move on. Good chance they lose Hamilton as a UFA anyway if someone throws crazy money at him.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If Francis wants to use the expansion slot to sign Hamilton as a UFA, Carolina will keep Skjei and Bean and move on. Good chance they lose Hamilton as a UFA anyway if someone throws crazy money at him.
And there is a trade to announce D Hamilton brought to Carolina for N Hanifan and E Lindholm looks awfully stupid right now if it didn't after the first year

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
A guy worth throwing money at. Seattle has the advantage of he’s looking for a long contract since they can offer 8 years. Not many guys out there, free agent or not that I’d want Francis to sign to 8, but douche is one.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Tell me you rather it be like how it was before the NHL changed the draft rules?
The 2017 rules should have been tweaked to help Seattle not hinder them! Teams off loaded players and went younger to the point that a lot of youngsters were exempt. If a team can't figure out that a player is player by 2 years than obviously they haven't done well in the development department and should lose that player

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The 2017 rules should have been tweaked to help Seattle not hinder them! Teams off loaded players and went younger to the point that a lot of youngsters were exempt. If a team can't figure out that a player is player by 2 years than obviously they haven't done well in the development department and should lose that player

That is quite the extreme.

The expansion draft was never meant to give expansion teams their superstar players. They are expected to draft their own.

The draft is supposed to supply mostly roleplayers and middle of the road filler to help them get a foothold and not start from complete scratch.

The NHL did not want Vegas to make the finals their first year, that was not part of the plan, but they could not have known that other GMs would outsmart themselves and gift the Knights so much.

Things seem to be back to normal this expansion and the system is working the way it was intended.

That said, if Francis wants to be competitive, there will be top 6 players available after the draft, so don't worry too much.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The 2 areas I feel like we will be good in right off the gate is our D and the goalies. Forwards are going to be close to tire-fire. But if Hakstol can get the team to buy into a team defense mentality, we could be decent.

My main hope really is that GMRF can get us some high picks in this year and next years draft. While people on the main board complain about how GMRF has screwed himself by high asking prices, probably best for us to just wait and see what gets announced after the expansion.

I find that narrative quite funny.

There's absolutely zero incentive for any party to spill the beans and make anything public between Seattle and another team.
And yet those folks talk about like "Ronny has overplaid his hand" and "no one wants to make a deal, because Francis hahahhahaahaa".

All of that while the Seattle team has shown it values keeping things under the rag and only publishing them once they want to.

It also makes no sense to make anything public for either side as other teams might still be able to find a deal and with us not showing our hands to others with possible deals already agreed upon.

O'Connor is a place holder until M Kaut arrives so that would not be so great a pick but who knows maybe RFrancis decides that's all Colorado has that isn't helping them by taking a big contract. Gilbert would be a nothing pick a depth D-man an 7-8th d-man no better. Meh on McDonald..a minor leaguer

O'Connor actually has pretty good advanced stats and would be an interesting pickup, especially if we don't like the contract of Donskoi.
Kaut, on the other hand, has absolutely nothing to do with our expansion draft selections.

Reactions: StarterHart

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA

There's absolutely zero incentive for any party to spill the beans and make anything public between Seattle and another team.
And yet those folks talk about like "Ronny has overplaid his hand" and "no one wants to make a deal, because Francis hahahhahaahaa".

All of that while the Seattle team has shown it values keeping things under the rag and only publishing them once they want to.

It also makes no sense to make anything public for either side as other teams might still be able to find a deal and with us not showing our hands to others with possible deals already agreed upon.

O'Connor actually has pretty good advanced stats and would be an interesting pickup, especially if we don't like the contract of Donskoi.
Kaut, on the other hand, has absolutely nothing to do with our expansion draft selections.

The hilarity going on in the trade forum thread is quite a thing. A couple teams make some smart deals to ensure some small value out of assets they can't protect, and all of a sudden it's "Seattle screwed itself" and "Ronnie priced himself out of making any deals". It's all based on assumption and wishful thinking. No one knows what kind of deals Ron has already made, or what his plans are, but I guarantee you that the management team has contingencies for nearly every possible scenario. I would bet my house none of these moves surprised Ron even a little bit. All these uninformed and ridiculous conclusions people are jumping to are just fiction that they are cooking up in their heads because they think watching Vegas has made them an expert on expansion drafts and team building. Get used to it, because it will continue throughout our entire first year. Unless we somehow manage to match Vegas' results, we're going to hear this nonsense every step of the way.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The hilarity going on in the trade forum thread is quite a thing. A couple teams make some smart deals to ensure some small value out of assets they can't protect, and all of a sudden it's "Seattle screwed itself" and "Ronnie priced himself out of making any deals". It's all based on assumption and wishful thinking. No one knows what kind of deals Ron has already made, or what his plans are, but I guarantee you that the management team has contingencies for nearly every possible scenario. I would bet my house none of these moves surprised Ron even a little bit. All these uninformed and ridiculous conclusions people are jumping to are just fiction that they are cooking up in their heads because they think Vegas made them an expert on expansion drafts and team building. Get used to it, because it will continue throughout our entire first year. Unless we somehow manage to match Vegas' results, we're going to hear this nonsense every step of the way.

Pretty much, yeah.

Francis never had a shot at those players because teams rather traded them for something instead of losing them for nothing.

Like I've said before, be ready for everyone trashing our expansion draft picks(just like they did with Vegas) and keep on making fun of us or talking about "how stupid Ronnie is, bwhahahaha".

And of course people will compare everything to Vegas and tell us how much we suck if we don't end up with the same kind of success in season one.

Though, reading in here shows that most of us know this and that it's about building something, even if it takes a bit.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Pretty much, yeah.

Francis never had a shot at those players because teams rather traded them for something instead of losing them for nothing.

Like I've said before, be ready for everyone trashing our expansion draft picks(just like they did with Vegas) and keep on making fun of us or talking about "how stupid Ronnie is, bwhahahaha".

And of course people will compare everything to Vegas and tell us how much we suck if we don't end up with the same kind of success in season one.

Though, reading in here shows that most of us know this and that it's about building something, even if it takes a bit.

I feel this prediction is spot on for next week, but what comes after I feel could easily go either way.

While everyone seems to be having complete melt-downs about how the Kraken's inaugural season is slipping away this week due to a few teams making a couple of minor moves, I can't help but look at what is left and find myself worrying a bit that the potential to be decent may be strong enough to encourage Francis to try to be better than they should out of the gate.

I have no delusions that Seattle will replicate Vegas, and I know there is no way this team will contend, but I feel like there is a blueprint here for them to possibly be more than moderately successful from the get go, but it would require some bold moves and sacrificing quite a bit of their future capital for a limited amount of success in the present.

That worries me far more than having a subpar roster this first season.

Am I the only one?

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I feel this prediction is spot on for next week, but what comes after I feel could easily go either way.

While everyone seems to be having complete melt-downs about how the Kraken's inaugural season is slipping away this week due to a few teams making a couple of minor moves, I can't help but look at what is left and find myself worrying a bit that the potential to be decent may be strong enough to encourage Francis to try to be better than they should out of the gate.

I have no delusions that Seattle will replicate Vegas, and I know there is no way this team will contend, but I feel like there is a blueprint here for them to possibly be more than moderately successful from the get go, but it would require some bold moves and sacrificing quite a bit of their future capital for a limited amount of success in the present.

Am I the only one?

I definitely see the reason for that concern, but I think if we can extrapolate anything from Ron's time as Carolina's GM, it's that if anything he errs on the side of being too patient. In fact, this may have been what led to his parting of ways from them. His patience may have been justified though, as that team in Carolina has his fingerprints all over it, and I would not have any problems emulating the type of team they have put together there.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sorry to impose on your board, but there has been a lot of debate amongst Jets fans about protecting Stanley vs Demelo. Most people agree Demelo is a better defencemen and also plays on the right side, an organizational weakness for us. There is a contingent that would prefer to see Stanley protected (me included), due to his constant improvement throughout last season, unique skillset, and age.

If you could choose which one was exposed in the draft which one would you prefer? Or would you rather go after a forward or goalie and our constant debating is for nothing lol

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Sorry to impose on your board, but there has been a lot of debate amongst Jets fans about protecting Stanley vs Demelo. Most people agree Demelo is a better defencemen and also plays on the right side, an organizational weakness for us. There is a contingent that would prefer to see Stanley protected (me included), due to his constant improvement throughout last season, unique skillset, and age.

If you could choose which one was exposed in the draft which one would you prefer? Or would you rather go after a forward or goalie and our constant debating is for nothing lol

As it stands right now, I think my pick would be Appleton assuming he's available. If for some reason we were to go defensemen, I'd probably lean toward Demelo over Stanley.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

It is almost impossible to speculate before the lists are released since there are so many variables to consider.

One issue may be contracts. Seattle has to draft 20 guys with contracts, and those contracts have to reach a 60% cap floor, so Demelo may be desirable because he fits that criteria, whereas Stanley doesn't.

Then there will be the discussion of position based on the "big" picture of what is available, since there are requirements by position that have to be filled. As StarterHart mentioned, I think Appleton is on a lot of people's draft boards.

But to answer your question, in a vacuum I think I would take Demelo over Stanley, as Demelo is a proven commodity, would be useful this first season, and likely could be moved for assets in year two or three if the need arose.

I think Stanley has a bit more uncertainty, and while gambling and hitting on some of these picks would be ideal, taking the conservative route on most of these decision will most likely produce more capital long-term (unless the boom of the boom or bust just looks too good to pass up).

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
:popcorn:

predictions on 28/30 picks:
Johnson(side deal)
Colton
Wagner
Bastian
McCann
Ryan(signed)
Eakin
Geekie
Carpenter
Oconnor
Enqvall
Robinson
Nieto
Howden
Roussell

Leddy
Giordano
Saucy
Braun
Dunn
Stanley
Lauzon
Fleury
Carrier

Bishop
Dreidger
Allen
Stalock
Gustavsson

You lost me at Eakin....

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The hilarity going on in the trade forum thread is quite a thing. A couple teams make some smart deals to ensure some small value out of assets they can't protect, and all of a sudden it's "Seattle screwed itself" and "Ronnie priced himself out of making any deals". It's all based on assumption and wishful thinking. No one knows what kind of deals Ron has already made, or what his plans are, but I guarantee you that the management team has contingencies for nearly every possible scenario. I would bet my house none of these moves surprised Ron even a little bit. All these uninformed and ridiculous conclusions people are jumping to are just fiction that they are cooking up in their heads because they think watching Vegas has made them an expert on expansion drafts and team building. Get used to it, because it will continue throughout our entire first year. Unless we somehow manage to match Vegas' results, we're going to hear this nonsense every step of the way.
And so what if Francis didn't get what he wanted from 4-5 teams? There's still 26-27 to work with. No GM is going to bat 100% when it comes to making deals. 27/30 is still pretty good.

Reactions: StarterHart

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Did I say Kaut was available,he isn't but should be because he's played 3 years over here. I said O'Connor is a placeholder until Kaut claims the spot. Kaut was a 1st rounder and naturally you'd think he'd make the team at some point. One good thing is that he's waiver exempt and can't be sent to the Eagles unless its for a "short stint" in the minors

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And there is a trade to announce D Hamilton brought to Carolina for N Hanifan and E Lindholm looks awfully stupid right now if it didn't after the first year

Meh. I’m sure the Canes are more than happy with that trade right now. Canes got 3 prime years of Hamilton, Jameson Rees, Antoni Honka and Noah Gunler out of the deal. Even if Hamilton walks and those prospects amount to nothing, they are still likely happy.

Canes hadn’t made the playoffs in 10 years and now have made it 3 straight, including a trip to the ECF. They have a talented young team with one of the deeper prospect pools in the NHL.

I know HF likes to focus on assets in a trade, but GMs and owners focus on results. Calgary, who “won” the trade has two 1st round exits and didn’t even make the playoffs this year. Sure, there’s a lot more to it than 1 trade, but I think Carolina has zero regrets with that trade.

Edit: sorry, I mistakenly though this was the main board thread. Mod can delete or leave it as they see fit.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

Am I the only one?

I definitely hope and do believe that Francis will err on the side of caution or being conservative. No need to make a big splash but there is definitely a need to build a good system.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And so what if Francis didn't get what he wanted from 4-5 teams? There's still 26-27 to work with. No GM is going to bat 100% when it comes to making deals. 27/30 is still pretty good.

Exactly this. Said that yesterday on the main boards too. Teams got screwed in the last expansion and for some reason seem to be focused on taking it out on Seattle .. LOL.

30 teams to deal with. We need to make deals with like 3-5 teams to have a good expansion draft. So still lots of chances to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad