Expansion Draft Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
1. I really wanted to take 8 D men. Dunn and Dumba I would want for sure. Yet, think because they both have value I expect they will be traded,
2. You could for sure substitute Mahura for Steel and Stetcher for Svechnikov as well. That helps on D.
3. If you do the list and keep an eye on 50M in contracts it's not that easy. My intent was to have money to get key free agents like Hamilton and
for sure they need to add free agent O players as well. Right at 50M leaves money for free agents..
4. Guys like Leddy are on a 1 year deal and can be moved at the trade deadline. Tried to stay away from JVR, McDonough, Varachek, Klefbom,
PK Subban, etc as the cost and term of their contracts weren't ideal.
5. Sjkei your right on. I struggled with that one as well. Bean would be better but he is a RFA. Getting to around 50M is where the decisions
need to be made.
6. I do think that the Wild, Lightning, Avalanche, Flyers, Bruins, and Penguins present the best options, but also the tougher decisions.
For many teams it's pretty easy to zero in on a few players.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
1. I really wanted to take 8 D men. Dunn and Dumba I would want for sure. Yet, think because they both have value I expect they will be traded,
2. You could for sure substitute Mahura for Steel and Stetcher for Svechnikov as well. That helps on D.
3. If you do the list and keep an eye on 50M in contracts it's not that easy. My intent was to have money to get key free agents like Hamilton and
for sure they need to add free agent O players as well. Right at 50M leaves money for free agents..
4. Guys like Leddy are on a 1 year deal and can be moved at the trade deadline. Tried to stay away from JVR, McDonough, Varachek, Klefbom,
PK Subban, etc as the cost and term of their contracts weren't ideal.
5. Sjkei your right on. I struggled with that one as well. Bean would be better but he is a RFA. Getting to around 50M is where the decisions
need to be made.
6. I do think that the Wild, Lightning, Avalanche, Flyers, Bruins, and Penguins present the best options, but also the tougher decisions.
For many teams it's pretty easy to zero in on a few players.

Rules say minimal of 14, forwards, 9 Dman 3 goalies must be taken.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Here is another list which should meet the requirements. For sure things will change with trades to other teams and deals offered to
Seattle etc. Tried not to take on to many long term contracts and looked at future potential. Easy to change as we learn more, but it was
fun looking at it..

Ducks Sam Steel (C) .8
Coyotes Hill ( G ) RFA
Bruins Lauzon (D) ,8
Sabres Asplund ( F ) RFA
Flames Kylington (D) RFA
Hurricanes Sjkei (D ) 5.2
Blackhawks Subban (G) .8
Avalanche Graves (D) 3.1
BlueJackets Robinson ( F) .9
Stars Dickinson ( F) RFA
Red Wings Svechikov (F) RFA
Oilers C. Jones ( D) .8
Panthers Accari ( F) 1.6
Kings Clague ( D) .7
Wild Greenway ( F) 2 Expect Dumba to be traded
Canadians Allen ( G) 2.8
Predators Jarnkrok (F) 2 or Fabbro ( D) if Jarnkrok protected.
Devils Johansson (F) 3.4
Isles Leddy(D) 5.5
Rangers Gauthier (F) RFA
Senators Tierney ( F) 3.5
Flyers Kubel ( C) 1
Penguins Zucker ( C) 5.5
Blues Barbashev ( F) RFA, expect Dunn to be traded
Sharks Gambell (F) RFA
Lightning Johnson (F) 5 Traded with draft picks.
Leafs Kerfoot ( F) 3.5
Canucks McEwen ( F) .8
Capitols Vanecek ( G) .7
Jets Appleton ( F) .9

Good and thoughtful list. :thumbu:

Just some questions.

Why would we take Subban from Chicago?
At worst Stillman or Zadorov would be available on defense and even if we take a goalie from them I'd rather take a chance on Delia instead of Subban.

Also, if the Wild are able to trade Dumba before the expansion draft I would think they'd go the 7-3-1 route and we'll either take their unprotected goalie, Soucy or Rask(if they add something).

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Good and thoughtful list. :thumbu:

Just some questions.

Why would we take Subban from Chicago?
At worst Stillman or Zadorov would be available on defense and even if we take a goalie from them I'd rather take a chance on Delia instead of Subban.

Also, if the Wild are able to trade Dumba before the expansion draft I would think they'd go the 7-3-1 route and we'll either take their unprotected goalie, Soucy or Rask(if they add something).

For sure Zadorov could be selected over Subban. When I worked on the list I just felt that another goalie past Allen, Hill, and Vanacek was
needed.

The Wild for sure could go 7-3-1 if they move Dumba. Also, Talbot could be an option for sure. In the past Francis liked to build from the goalie on out. Putting a heavy emphasis on D and playing a 200 foot heavy game. Felt that Greenway would be a good fit for that style. This is also why I selected Barbeshev. The Wild in particular could be a very interesting selection involving a side deal for sure.

Was a great project to predict and it will be really interesting to see just how it all comes together..

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
6e4836ce122b44072a8b11a186b07e42.jpg

Reactions: Mike Jones

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Here is another list which should meet the requirements. For sure things will change with trades to other teams and deals offered to
Seattle etc. Tried not to take on to many long term contracts and looked at future potential. Easy to change as we learn more, but it was
fun looking at it..

Ducks Sam Steel (C) .8
Coyotes Hill ( G ) RFA
Bruins Lauzon (D) ,8
Sabres Asplund ( F ) RFA
Flames Kylington (D) RFA
Hurricanes Sjkei (D ) 5.2
Blackhawks Subban (G) .8
Avalanche Graves (D) 3.1
BlueJackets Robinson ( F) .9
Stars Dickinson ( F) RFA
Red Wings Svechikov (F) RFA
Oilers C. Jones ( D) .8
Panthers Accari ( F) 1.6
Kings Clague ( D) .7
Wild Greenway ( F) 2 Expect Dumba to be traded
Canadians Allen ( G) 2.8
Predators Jarnkrok (F) 2 or Fabbro ( D) if Jarnkrok protected.
Devils Johansson (F) 3.4
Isles Leddy(D) 5.5
Rangers Gauthier (F) RFA
Senators Tierney ( F) 3.5
Flyers Kubel ( C) 1
Penguins Zucker ( C) 5.5
Blues Barbashev ( F) RFA, expect Dunn to be traded
Sharks Gambell (F) RFA
Lightning Johnson (F) 5 Traded with draft picks.
Leafs Kerfoot ( F) 3.5
Canucks McEwen ( F) .8
Capitols Vanecek ( G) .7
Jets Appleton ( F) .9

Most realistic list i've seen yet. Great job.
Who plays center on the top line ? Tierney/Zucker/Kerfoot ?
Just put Steel on LW and he'll probably breakout, doesn't exactly have the foot speed to go with his lack of size but has the IQ/Vision to make him a pretty good player if he isn't playing Centerr.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Most realistic list i've seen yet. Great job.
Who plays center on the top line ? Tierney/Zucker/Kerfoot ?
Just put Steel on LW and he'll probably breakout, doesn't exactly have the foot speed to go with his lack of size but has the IQ/Vision to make him a pretty good player if he isn't playing Centerr.
I have seen enough of Tierney on the Sharks to argue that he was not even a great 3C. I know he filled in Ottawa as a top-6 C but his defensive issues are a big problem. Zucker and Kerfoot may be better options though I don't know if Zucker normally plays C. Isn't he a natural winger?

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I have seen enough of Tierney on the Sharks to argue that he was not even a great 3C. I know he filled in Ottawa as a top-6 C but his defensive issues are a big problem. Zucker and Kerfoot may be better options though I don't know if Zucker normally plays C. Isn't he a natural winger?
Yeah i thought he was a winger too. Kerfoot as top line C sounds like a reason to sign RNH as a stop gap Center to produce offense or find a way to get a Center from a team.
For depth reasons i wonder if they work out seperate deals not related to protection spots but rather trading for someone like Logan Brown, Nolan Patrick etc.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

What I've seen in Pittsburgh Zucker is a winger.

I think we have to accept that finding top six centers will be next to impossible during the expansion draft(unless one of the guys does a William Karlsson) and that we'll have to use our cap space during free agency(rather trades than free agents IMO) to add at the center spot.

BTW: Vegas, who everyone is raving(or complaining) about, started Chandler Stephenson as their #1 center.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

I think we have to accept that finding top six centers will be next to impossible during the expansion draft(unless one of the guys does a William Karlsson) and that we'll have to use our cap space during free agency(rather trades than free agents IMO) to add at the center spot.

BTW: Vegas, who everyone is raving(or complaining) about, started Chandler Stephenson as their #1 center.

They had a better option that would work as a 1c but traded it so they can sign that ex blue's Dman.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I know you are against it but that is the reason I am hoping we grab Johansen or Duchene from the Preds. Preferably Johansen. I am also assuming that there is some kind of sweetener involved in that deal.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I know you are against it but that is the reason I am hoping we grab Johansen or Duchene from the Preds. Preferably Johansen. I am also assuming that there is some kind of sweetener involved in that deal.
I am worried that any of the perceived top 6 centers available in the expansion draft or via free agency aren't going to be worth anywhere near their contracts.

Duchene and Johansen have been playing with wingers that will be marginally better than anything Seattle will probably be able to roll out, with questionable results. Both those deals are 8 million per for 4 and 5 years, and while serviceable, they are getting older and have not played particularly great as of late.

I think I'd have to agree and say it may be better just to go with cheaper stop-gaps. The team probably won't be much worse, and they will have tons of cap flexibility in a couple of years when hopefully they are in a spot to be competitive (and maybe a marquee true top line center might be available.)

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am worried that any of the perceived top 6 centers available in the expansion draft or via free agency aren't going to be worth anywhere near their contracts.

Duchene and Johansen have been playing with wingers that will be marginally better than anything Seattle will probably be able to roll out, with questionable results. Both those deals are 8 million per for 4 and 5 years, and while serviceable, they are getting older and have not played particularly great as of late.

I think I'd have to agree and say it may be better just to go with cheaper stop-gaps. The team probably won't be much worse, and they will have tons of cap flexibility in a couple of years when hopefully they are in a spot to be competitive (and maybe a marquee true top line center might be available.)

There's going to be a lot of post draft re-signings. so the avaiable Center pool at UFA won't be that big.

Reactions: logan5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad