Expansion Draft Reformation

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Why would they change anything when this is exactly what the league wanted ? They wanted Vegas to be competitive and it is. The team is getting attention and growing its fanbase. These are good things.

Reactions: mouser and nucks88

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
If Quebec City, Seattle or any other market gets an expansion team I say the NHL needs to give them the same expansion draft rules. Yes Fopley paid $500,000,000 for the team but something like that should not matter.

Yeah i fully agree, The NHL would look silly to change their Exp-draft rules for any furure team(s), no matter the price tag.

But then again, the devil's advocate will tell you that the NHL wanted a team in Vegas for so long that they made sure they would be an instant success. I guess we'll have to wait and see what will happend in the next expansion.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
How much of it was to make sure Vegas wouldn't turn into another struggling franchise from the Southwestern United States like the Coyotes? If Quebec City had got a team and Vegas did not would they have got the same rules as Vegas did?

How much of what exactly?? Most of us here are suggesting that it's the League parity which has brought about this result, at least in part. If the League had that in mind for Vegas, then it started the plan way back when the salary cap was put into place.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How much of what exactly?? Most of us here are suggesting that it's the League parity which has brought about this result, at least in part. If the League had that in mind for Vegas, then it started the plan way back when the salary cap was put into place.
The NHL making the expansion draft rules the way they were to make sure Vegas could be more competitive right away compared to previous expansion teams, so they wouldn't get the same talk about being a wasted franchise in the desert like the Coyotes.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
It is of an opinion that an expansion team should not earn the decent record. Maybe an borderline playoff might be ok but not the top team. This should not be a goal otherwise every other owner would opt for an expansion team to own a team rather than an existing team. The expansion draft rules were too low, only 7 f and 3 d is just too much for many teams to give up. It should be 9 f and 4 D, 1 G or 7 f/3d/2g or 10 skaters/1G. They also should not be given a top 3 lottery odd. Also 2 years exemption for a professional hockey is just too low, it should be 3 or 4 years exemptions. Teams investing in their own players and it's too much for that team to lose that said player when they spent their energy developing their own players. Vegas should start at the bottom just like every other expansion team went through in that they started at bottom too.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
With Vegas _SO FAR_ proving that you can ice an competitive team d1 from an expansion draft, do you think the league will change anything? Should they?

Look at the Vegas roster. Is there anything about this team that screams 8-1 start to the season?

Kudos to the Knights, they are working hard and hustling their hiney's off to achieve this success.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Vegas given a much better set of expansion draft rules in terms of the players they could select, compared to what Minnesota, Columbus, Nashville and Atlanta did for their expansion drafts?

Yes, the 2017 draft rules were nicer to Vegas. This draft was protecting 7F, 3D, 1G, while in 2000 (CBJ/MIN), teams protected 9F, 5D, 1G. That's forcing every team to expose a third line forward, second pair defenseman, and a backup goalie (unless you do the alternate option or make a deal with Vegas).

But that's not all.

There's a huge difference between this draft and the 2000 draft: there's only one team! Minnesota had to think about Columbus and their potential picks, and vice versa. And it means Minnesota got, on average, 13 first picks from teams, and 13 second picks...meaning it wasn't just 9F, 5D, and 1G that were ineligible to be picked for Minnesota, but also the player that got grabbed by Columbus. Meanwhile, Vegas just had to worry about their own team - yes, it's a complex strategic game, but Vegas essentially got to play solitaire.

Also, note that Vegas got 4 extra players, because there are more NHL teams now, and there aren't any teams protected due to recent expansion (Thrashers/Preds).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, the 2017 draft rules were nicer to Vegas. This draft was protecting 7F, 3D, 1G, while in 2000 (CBJ/MIN), teams protected 9F, 5D, 1G. That's forcing every team to expose a third line forward, second pair defenseman, and a backup goalie (unless you do the alternate option or make a deal with Vegas).

But that's not all.

There's a huge difference between this draft and the 2000 draft: there's only one team! Minnesota had to think about Columbus and their potential picks, and vice versa. And it means Minnesota got, on average, 13 first picks from teams, and 13 second picks...meaning it wasn't just 9F, 5D, and 1G that were ineligible to be picked for Minnesota, but also the player that got grabbed by Columbus. Meanwhile, Vegas just had to worry about their own team - yes, it's a complex strategic game, but Vegas essentially got to play solitaire.

Also, note that Vegas got 4 extra players, because there are more NHL teams now, and there aren't any teams protected due to recent expansion (Thrashers/Preds).
Prior to the Columbus and Minnesota expansion drafts, were the same set of rules used for Nashville and Atlanta in their drafts?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
So you think its okay that a team that was just established 4 months ago can sign up and leapfrog half of the league?
Yes.

It's up to the rest of the league to beat them. To be honest, the roster doesn't even look that good. They are beating teams that on paper they should lose to.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If Quebec City, Seattle or any other market gets an expansion team I say the NHL needs to give them the same expansion draft rules. Yes Fopley paid $500,000,000 for the team but something like that should not matter.

Let's not act like Seattle is some massive hotbed of hockey fandom. But with regards to Quebec City, I highly doubt the NHL would want anything less than what Las Vegas got. A team already left that city once. The league will want to give them a fighting chance.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Look at the Vegas roster. Is there anything about this team that screams 8-1 start to the season?

Kudos to the Knights, they are working hard and hustling their hiney's off to achieve this success.

I don't think there is enough talent there to sustain this. However, they did a great job of diagnosing what is happening in the league. I know everyone else is on to this, but Vegas got the chance to look at the exposed players and just take primarily to that theme. They have tons of speed. They just plucked a lot of the best skating options, good goalies and hired a coach with a defined system.

Really the shocking thing is they have had this kind of start and Shipachyov has been a pretty big disaster. That was the one move we all seemed to like...

I don't think they need to change anything about this. I also think there is a huge advantage to not being brought in with another team which is something we have seen in the past. The next team (Seattle) is also likely to have this benefit.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The cap changed everything. No other expansion team prior to Vegas was in the same situation, whether they're 8-1 or 1-8. Even the most recent expansion teams in the very early 2000's were in a fend for yourself reality. Figuring that they'll add one more team, and assuming the cap is as hard as ever, established teams will still want the flexibility to get rid of money. It'll cost them, like the Islanders with Grabovski, and the Jackets with Clarkson, but they were able to get rid of the space and/or money. I'm not sure current teams would want a more restricted expansion draft. Not with the cap anyway.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
no why should they? if anything this proves the expansion draft is successful and a team with a few top-6 players and a bunch of bottom pair dmen can be competitive

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Just bumping this to see if anybody's opinion on this has changed.

If Vegas didn't get such great conditions St Louis probably would be a lock at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad