Expansion Draft Reformation

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
So you think its okay that a team that was just established 4 months ago can sign up and leapfrog half of the league?

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
If parity is the goal, then they've achieved their goal.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's a hot start. They will most likely not make the playoffs in the end.

I'd rather have expansion teams be decent at once than abysmal for 3-4 years like in the past. It just kills momentum in the new market.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think the protected list should be 5 forwards, 3 defenceman, 1 goalie. Players on a ELC are exempt and you can leave players with a NMC exposed.

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
I don't think there is an issue with the expansion team being too good, however a more pertinent issue that arose is the problem of Vegas having trouble being roster compliant, i.e. too many waiver eligible players selected. A possible solution would be to allow the expansion team to take a draft pick instead of a player (next available 2nd or 3rd round pick, whatever seems fair). This would also spread the impact of the expansion draft more evenly among the teams, that is teams with fewer exposed players worth anything could lose a pick instead of some scrub they don't need anyway.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Honestly, I didn't mind it. Much better than what some teams had for expansion in the 90's. I liked that it forced some hard decisions and made quality defense-men more available.

I liked the forced protection of NMC but allowing NTC players to be exposed. I thought it was pretty fair.

I agree with Mcphee though in one sense. There could be some tweeking allowed to make it easier for expansion teams to acquire players who can pass through waivers but I can't think of a way to do so.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
When I watch the VGN...i see a team playing balls to the walls. I dont see a team dominating anything outside of the Yotes game. They had absolutely no business beating Stl...but they did. Thats also the beauty of hockey, a bad team can beat a good team. Vegas didnt get to pick a bunch of top 6/4 guys. The wheels will come off, especially when teams start to ratchet up their intensity as the season moves on.

Kudos on them for putting together a competent team.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Are people really that incapable of taking a hot start at the beginning of the season for what it is?

Yes,... It's not a dead on the ice start like virtually every other expansion team since 1967. And it's far from it.

9th game, 8th win, with a 7-0 victory. Vegas is no expansion team from any previous Season of expansion team(s).

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
So you think its okay that a team that was just established 4 months ago can sign up and leapfrog half of the league?

If that team has been beating other teams on the ice, then yes. And they have been. You think that because they're an expansion team they should be forced to suck for a year? That'll certainly grow the league. :huh:

But really, it's early in the season, let's see what it's like in December and January.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Vegas given a much better set of expansion draft rules in terms of the players they could select, compared to what Minnesota, Columbus, Nashville and Atlanta did for their expansion drafts?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The NHL was very generous to Vegas. However, with only one more Expansion team to get to the balanced conferences I don't think the NHL will make any changes to the rules.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Vegas given a much better set of expansion draft rules in terms of the players they could select, compared to what Minnesota, Columbus, Nashville and Atlanta did for their expansion drafts?

Yes. Previous expansion teams were getting 4th liners and 7th/8th defensemen in the Expansion draft.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes,... It's not a dead on the ice start like virtually every other expansion team since 1967. And it's far from it.

9th game, 8th win, with a 7-0 victory. Vegas is no expansion team from any previous Season of expansion team(s).

You're correct , the NHL got it right this time. If you look at the recents expension teams it's night and day compare to Vegas. Because of that the NHL will attract a lot more exposure on this new franchise and solidify this market earlier than expected.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Ahhh, they (Vegas) weren't exactly given any advantages. I don't think the Expansion Draft specifies that the other teams have to offer up their "best" players.

(Relative player) parity, in this case, simply means that an expansion team has the potential of putting together a team which can at least be reasonably competitive and not wallow at the bottom of the League for several Seasons.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're correct , the NHL got it right this time. If you look at the recents expension teams it's night and day compare to Vegas. Because of that the NHL will attract a lot more exposure on this new franchise and solidify this market earlier than expected.
How much of it was to make sure Vegas wouldn't turn into another struggling franchise from the Southwestern United States like the Coyotes? If Quebec City had got a team and Vegas did not would they have got the same rules as Vegas did?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
How much of it was to make sure Vegas wouldn't turn into another struggling franchise from the Southwestern United States like the Coyotes? If Quebec City had got a team and Vegas did not would they have got the same rules as Vegas did?

Maybe maybe not , we'll never know since Québec didnt get a team... One thing is sure the NHL made sure that Vegas had a good product on the ice , compare to past expansions.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe maybe not , we'll never know since Québec didnt get a team... One thing is sure the NHL made sure that Vegas had a good product on the ice , compare to past expansions.
If Quebec City, Seattle or any other market gets an expansion team I say the NHL needs to give them the same expansion draft rules. Yes Fopley paid $500,000,000 for the team but something like that should not matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad