Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You don't want to to argue it, yet you keep going back to it? Ok!?

The argument isn't about who is the better defenseman. Frankly, I'd rather have a player who isn't defending all the time. They aren't good comparisons now, or in the past. They've always gone about how they play the game in very different ways. The fact is Tanev has always had very little offense, EV or PP. Tanev has always been a shut down type defenseman. Toby always had a more rounded game. At one point he put up lots of points. Now that his offense is drying up, he still remains a solid shut down d-man.

Everything else about your post(s) was sound. Your point was never the argument.

:laugh: Fair enough. :bow:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would very much like to see Chevy call Vegas about Raanta and seeing that deal happen pre the real draft.

Toby did amazing thing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I don't expect it to happen.

I just see a lot more potential in Dano. Copp's a fine player don't get me wrong, but there's virtually no chance he'll ever be a top 6 guy and I'd be surprised if he is a regular on the 3rd line even. Dano, IMO, is already a 3rd line player when he is healthy, but Maurice does not like him for whatever reason.

There is the chance that Maurice has a good reason. Q in Chi didn't like him either. Don't know whether CBJ parted with him reluctantly or not, but they parted with him.

If Maurice's reason is not good it doesn't really matter too much because Maurice isn't going anywhere soon.

Copp may not progress much further but he has already shown that he can play up when needed and can play W or C in the bottom 6. At worst he is a very versatile asset. He could still become a regular on the 3rd line.

Dano may have more upside but I don't think it is a lot. Meanwhile he also has more bust potential.

To a team with less strength and depth at F, Dano might be the better player to keep but to the Jets, I think Copp is the better fit.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I've noticed a decided lack of contrition on the part of everyone who was sure Perreault was going to be exposed 'cause lol Jets. Not that I'm surprised.

Two ways to read this, I think:

Either, Enström's agent protests too much and Enström's keen at the idea of getting out of town. As hesitant as Cheveldayoff has been to give out restrictive ones, trade clauses are something to hold on to for a city that's always panicking about whether or not players want to be there.

Or, this is some indication that waiving was Enström's best chance at being a Jets next year and in the future. Suggesting that a buyout was in the cards.

To expand here:

Very interesting last line from Boden, too. The second exclamation point sort of removed any possibility of McPhee taking Enström to play for the Knights until the deadline. Brand new team in new market--are they going to take a guy who so vehemently doesn't want to go there? There's still a possibility of them taking him to flip right away, but any acquiring team would need to be quite confident that his scoring is going to come back and he will play close to 82 games for that $5.75m. I'm not sure any teams should be confident of that.

I believe that ARZ wants Stepan as well, so could be something between ARZ and NYR involving both Raanta and Stepan. Chyka sure love his trades.

Maybe but where in this deal does Chayka get to take on dead salary/cap?

Sure he trades a lot, but they're all awful deals if the team is supposed to be any good.

So, Doug Murray thinks that:

1) There was a good possibility that Mueller was going to get selected by Las Vegas.

2) Whatever he now stands to lose is worth less than 49th overall (Boston's St. Empniak pick!!!!) and the difference between 143rd and 98th. Pretty minimal damage, if that's the case. I wouldn't trade Daňo for that, ordinarily.

Interesting.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wow so many teams getting better. Let's stand pat some more Chevy lmao what a joke

Patience Grasshopper. Wait for the dust to settle.

So far Chevy has done what needed to be done. The XD is dealt with. Lets see if he can get us a goalie. After that I'd like a LHD but I'll be satisfied if he makes a couple of good picks in the draft.

If he comes through this off-season with minimal loss to expansion, a good goalie and a good draft I'll give him a pass on lack of anything else.

Which are the teams getting better, BTW?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
would have liked to see chevy pick up a left handed defenceman. seems there are some good deals out there.

My first thought was that we should have been in on that. Then I read some SJS fans reactions. They were seriously down on Mueller. The b word was being thrown around. Don't know that those opinions were valid but there was a **** storm of negativity toward Mueller.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Jets come out of the expansion draft losing Dano and pick (as high as a 2nd), prospect(s) (not named Connor or Roslovic) to acquire a goalie (Raanta) and a dman (say Ryan Murray), that would be quite the off-season for Chevy.

Next up, decent draft and a defensive 3rd line forward in FA to improve the pk and replace Dano.

Whaaaat?
Matthias - Lowry - Armia were not defensive enough for you?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Whaaaat?
Matthias - Lowry - Armia were not defensive enough for you?

Yes. I would prefer a defensive player that has the potential to be a 40 pt player (a Frolik type). Strong penalty killer. Perhaps with some size and speed.

So yes, Lowry's line drops to 4th line in my ideal line up, replaced with a 3rd line that can check and score.

A Perreault-Roslovic-xxxx 3rd line (xxxx being a strong defensive player who can score). Wingers in Top 9 can move up and down lineup based on matchups or injury.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I've noticed a decided lack of contrition on the part of everyone who was sure Perreault was going to be exposed 'cause lol Jets. Not that I'm surprised.

I don't see anything to be contrite about. We were asked who would be going to Vegas, we took a guess, we guessed wrong. Do you feel contrition when the Lotto 6/49 numbers you picked don't win the jackpot?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
First two protection lists already out there:

Ovi Backs Bura Kuz MoJo Eller Wilson -- Nisk Carlson Orlov -- Holtby
Kopi Carter Toffoli Pearson -- Dought AMart Muzzin Forbort -- Quick

so much for lists not getting released to the public (what NHL said initially). I guess we'll know everything before tomorrow 10AM (public announcement).

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

so much for lists not getting released to the public (what NHL said initially). I guess we'll know everything before tomorrow 10AM (public announcement).

Poor Gary. All these damn leaks. :laugh:

maxresdefault.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes. I would prefer a defensive player that has the potential to be a 40 pt player (a Frolik type). Strong penalty killer. Perhaps with some size and speed.

So yes, Lowry's line drops to 4th line in my ideal line up, replaced with a 3rd line that can check and score.

A Perreault-Roslovic-xxxx 3rd line (xxxx being a strong defensive player who can score). Wingers in Top 9 can move up and down lineup based on matchups or injury.

A Perreault - Roslovic - Armia line should come pretty close to what you are looking for. I doubt Armia scores 40 pts but I expect he will score a lot more with skilled linemates than with Matthias and Lowry. and he is as good a checking winger as there is, IMO.

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if Roslovic is ready for that role this year. I think he will need another year in the AHL. I think the bigger question mark is, will Maurice be ready for a skilled 3rd line this year? If so, will he give Petan a chance at 3C? Will Petan be able to take his opportunity and run with it? If not will Connor/Perreault - Lowry - Armia be able to take a step up from last years' MLA line?

Who is this winger you want to acquire and what will he cost us? What makes you think he will be better than Armia and by enough to justify the cost?

I don't think we need to acquire anyone. We have all the pieces for a great bottom 6 right now if Maurice will just use them according to their strengths. Of course I am making some assumptions about players turning out as expected but we have enough options to accommodate some disappointments.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Too bad, what was that date? How did Mueller just get tradeded if the deadline is past? For some reason I thought they could still get it done today.

3pm ET was the roster freeze. Rosters unfreeze on Thursday June 22 10am ET.

He was obviously traded before the deadline but it required a trade call. Just like trades are sometimes announced after the regular TD

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

We won't know them all. Maybe a few more

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
A Perreault - Roslovic - Armia line should come pretty close to what you are looking for. I doubt Armia scores 40 pts but I expect he will score a lot more with skilled linemates than with Matthias and Lowry. and he is as good a checking winger as there is, IMO.

I will be (pleasantly) surprised if Roslovic is ready for that role this year. I think he will need another year in the AHL. I think the bigger question mark is, will Maurice be ready for a skilled 3rd line this year? If so, will he give Petan a chance at 3C? Will Petan be able to take his opportunity and run with it? If not will Connor/Perreault - Lowry - Armia be able to take a step up from last years' MLA line?

Who is this winger you want to acquire and what will he cost us? What makes you think he will be better than Armia and by enough to justify the cost?

I don't think we need to acquire anyone. We have all the pieces for a great bottom 6 right now if Maurice will just use them according to their strengths. Of course I am making some assumptions about players turning out as expected but we have enough options to accommodate some disappointments.

Every year we go into the season with success hinged on every single person on the roster needing to improve. Would it be a crime to just grab someone for the bottom 6 and not rely on growth from every single player ? I'm really hoping we grab someone.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'd protect Dano over Copp .

I wish we'd protect Dano over Copp :/

Same here. Letting go of Dano will haunt the Jets. It'll be a mini-Frolik type situation. Watch Dano go to Vegas and put up 40 points. I would have rather the Jets trade him and get something for him if they intended to protect Copp and sign Thorbs to 1 year contract for XD purposes. We will see if this is part of a deal with Vegas. Atleast it is better than letting Perreault be exposed

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Every year we go into the season with success hinged on every single person on the roster needing to improve. Would it be a crime to just grab someone for the bottom 6 and not rely on growth from every single player ? I'm really hoping we grab someone.

Not a crime at all, but that is the develop part of draft and develop

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The hard part is done. We are heading into the draft in excellent shape.

Let's see what happens Wednesday and if Chevy makes a deal to get one of Vegas's goalies and dmen.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Not a crime at all, but that is the develop part of draft and develop

True I get that. But there must come a time where someone from outside the organization is a better fit and would help speed up the process. Say 1 player out of the bottom 6. That leaves 5 payers drafting and developing. It shouldn't be against the rules to grab a developed player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Same here. Letting go of Dano will haunt the Jets. It'll be a mini-Frolik type situation. Watch Dano go to Vegas and put up 40 points. I would have rather the Jets trade him and get something for him if they intended to protect Copp and sign Thorbs to 1 year contract for XD purposes. We will see if this is part of a deal with Vegas. Atleast it is better than letting Perreault be exposed

But no chance that Dano would get the same opportunities to put up points on the Jets. He'd be the #6-7 winger, with no PP time on the Jets. Copp scored as much as Dano last season and offers the flexibility of playing C and contributing on the PK. I think it would be close between the two. Of course, if Dano doesn't show up in shape for camp again next year, it's a moot point.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

I'm thinking of an inexpensive option like Michael Grabner, Jannik Hansen or Jay Beagle, but preferably younger. All would help the pk and add some offense to a 3rd line. Armia may develop into a better version, but hasn't yet.

Let's see who's left unprotected. May be there's a better player that fits.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

That is not a 4th line in the salary cap era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca