Speculation: Expansion Draft - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think they can trade back in January, but not sure.

I don't either, it's possible. Once again I cry for the actual ******* rules to be released to the public so they wouldn't have to be collected piecemeal from secondary places.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What does the Jets list look like that Toby has now waived?

From previous page

If Enstrom is not protected Vegas would choose from this list (pending UFA omitted)

G Hutch
D Enstrom
D Stuart
D Chiarot
D Melchiori
F Dano
F Matthias
F Howden
F Lipon
F Kosmachuk
F Olsen
F Telegin

(Assumes protected list Helle, Buff, Trouba, Myers, Wheeler, Scheifele, Little, Perreault, Lowry, Armia, Copp)

Tinfoil hat prediction.....Vegas selects Enstrom and he announces his retirement :popcorn:

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
When you're right, you're right. :)

I always suspected that Toby was 'team player' enough to do it out of loyalty but was not willing to go out on a limb and say so.

Now I just hope they have not paid a high price to ensure that LVK does not take him.

Why do you suspect "team player" and "loyalty" verse maybe he wouldn't mind playing for a different organization. Waiving his NMC could get him picked and traded to a winner. Having spent 10 years in Atlanta/Winnipeg with one playoff appearance.

So, Phaneuf isn't a team player or loyal because he didn't waive his NMC? How about the team not being loyal for even asking a player to waive after agreeing to it in a contract. Seems like a double standard to me.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
With the news that Enstrom's waiving, I hope that LV and Jets have had discussions in good faith as their intentions and it's clear that they would take someone like Dano, and ther's no need to pay them for any assurance. Short of giving them a 6th or 7th round pick, I'd want to hang on to earlier draft picks and take my chances.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

With Mike Smith likely heading to CGY, there's a lot more to pick from in this list:
NgOHBgR.png

As I've previously stated, if I'm the Jets, I'm staring down names like Steve Mason (through UFA) and Antti Raanta (through VGK), but Brian Elliott and Chad Johnson now on the table could serve as respectable goalies splitting time with Hellebuyck.

EDIT: Shout out to my wildcard Antti Niemi from DAL with 1-year left.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Would need to sign Copp first. Still an hour to go

Yeah, I don't expect it to happen.

I just see a lot more potential in Dano. Copp's a fine player don't get me wrong, but there's virtually no chance he'll ever be a top 6 guy and I'd be surprised if he is a regular on the 3rd line even. Dano, IMO, is already a 3rd line player when he is healthy, but Maurice does not like him for whatever reason.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay

Here's hoping.
One less team in the goalie hunt out there to inflate prices/start a bidding war with Vegas or steal pieces is a good thing.

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Well, with the apparent news of Enstrom waiving his NMC, there's little intrigue in tomorrow morning's protected list announcement. From the Jets anyway. Pretty certain it's Dano that's left unprotected.

The fun will be in knowing who everyone else has chosen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, I don't expect it to happen.

I just see a lot more potential in Dano. Copp's a fine player don't get me wrong, but there's virtually no chance he'll ever be a top 6 guy and I'd be surprised if he is a regular on the 3rd line even. Dano, IMO, is already a 3rd line player when he is healthy, but Maurice does not like him for whatever reason.

Dano is not a top 6 forward on a team with good forwards, like the Jets.

Where would you slot him with the following wingers?

Ehlers
Laine
Wheeler
Perreault
Connor
Armia
Roslovic
Petan.

6th or 7th is the highest I'd rank him, which puts him as borderline 3rd line with the Jets. He could be a top 6 on a weaker team.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Mike Smith? Hahaha!!

Look less like Steve Mason gets to pick a spot as an unchallenged starter. Unless he wants to go to Glendale (then Phoenix, then Quebec, or Seattle...).

Two ways to read this, I think:

Either, Enström's agent protests too much and Enström's keen at the idea of getting out of town. As hesitant as Cheveldayoff has been to give out restrictive ones, trade clauses are something to hold on to for a city that's always panicking about whether or not players want to be there.

Or, this is some indication that waiving was Enström's best chance at being a Jets next year and in the future. Suggesting that a buyout was in the cards.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Why do you suspect "team player" and "loyalty" verse maybe he wouldn't mind playing for a different organization. Waiving his NMC could get him picked and traded to a winner. Having spent 10 years in Atlanta/Winnipeg with one playoff appearance.

So, Phaneuf isn't a team player or loyal because he didn't waive his NMC? How about the team not being loyal for even asking a player to waive after agreeing to it in a contract. Seems like a double standard to me.

Enstroms agent said Enstrom did it as a favour to the organization, he wants to stay in Winnipeg as they have a bright future and he does not want to move or go to Las Vegas.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So what will VGK want from WPG for Raanta?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Dano is not a top 6 forward on a team with good forwards, like the Jets.

Where would you slot him with the following wingers?

Ehlers
Laine
Wheeler
Perreault
Connor
Armia
Roslovic
Petan.

6th or 7th is the highest I'd rank him, which puts him as borderline 3rd line with the Jets. He could be a top 6 on a weaker team.

I did say he was a 3rd liner, not top 6. I think he has the potential to be top 6 in the future though.

Right now, I'd say Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Perreault are all clearly ahead of him. I'd probably slot him in the middle of that next group where as of today I don't think any of them have clearly established themselves as better than the others. Connor would have the highest potential though.

Gun to my head I'd rank the last 4 as of today:
Armia > Dano > Connor > Petan > Roslovic

Potential going forward:
Connor > Petan > Dano > Roslovic> Armia

To be honest though, this is a good problem. I really like Armia as a player and I have him as the least potential here :yo:

I just much prefer Dano to Copp. Copp can play C though so I guess that does help.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good old Peter tessier says that dano will be protected over armia and copp. Seems pretty out to lunch to me.

Neither Armia nor Copp are signed for next season, so the Jets have to expose Dano along with Matthias. That was the whole point of signing Dano earlier this week. Honestly, I don't understand why some people who try to claim to be in the know are so ignorant of the basic facts.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Friedman has apparently confirmed Enstrom waiving, indicating it was a huge gift to the Jets so they can protect 7-3-1. The Dano signing makes sense in that context, as the player that LV would select.

Pretty good outcome, if that's how it shakes out.

I'll be a little disappointed to lose Dano. I still like his potential but I think that is the best outcome we could reasonably hope for. GMGM demonstrated his love for vets in the Erat trade. Maybe we can hope he takes Matthias or - dare I say - Stuart. :laugh: Not reasonable though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Neither Armia nor Copp are signed for next season, so the Jets have to expose Dano along with Matthias. That was the whole point of signing Dano earlier this week. Honestly, I don't understand why some people who try to claim to be in the know are so ignorant of the basic facts.

Armia is signed. Copp is not.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I'm not ready to concede that. We can look at other statistical comparisons that show they are very close to one another. Which I did. Neither is definitive. The truth is probably at some point in between the 2.

Arguing this point was, and is entirely unnecessary for my original point and I don't want to argue it. But I also don't want to concede that there is a massive difference between the 2. Toby is underrated and Tanev is overrated, IMO

You don't want to to argue it, yet you keep going back to it? Ok!?

The argument isn't about who is the better defenseman. Frankly, I'd rather have a player who isn't defending all the time. They aren't good comparisons now, or in the past. They've always gone about how they play the game in very different ways. The fact is Tanev has always had very little offense, EV or PP. Tanev has always been a shut down type defenseman. Toby always had a more rounded game. At one point he put up lots of points. Now that his offense is drying up, he still remains a solid shut down d-man.

Everything else about your post(s) was sound. Your point was never the argument.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I did say he was a 3rd liner, not top 6. I think he has the potential to be top 6 in the future though.

Right now, I'd say Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler, Perreault are all clearly ahead of him. I'd probably slot him in the middle of that next group where as of today I don't think any of them have clearly established themselves as better than the others. Connor would have the highest potential though.

Gun to my head I'd rank the last 4 as of today:
Armia > Dano > Connor > Petan > Roslovic

Potential going forward:
Connor > Petan > Dano > Roslovic> Armia

To be honest though, this is a good problem. I really like Armia as a player and I have him as the least potential here :yo:

I just much prefer Dano to Copp. Copp can play C though so I guess that does help.

Connor is clearly ahead of Dano in my view, based on age and development. I'd put Armia on par. I think Roslovic has perhaps higher potential. Top scorer for an AHL team as a 19 year old rookie is very impressive.

I think Copp really closed the gap on Dano last season, and his ability to play C and PK adds to his value. He's a more versatile bottom 6 option than Dano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA