Expansion Draft Leak thread.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Kind of disappointed... Knights had a chance with the weak Pacific to be really competitive and reach playoffs this season but these choices kind of kill that. I know it's still early but was hoping it would be better.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Kind of disappointed... Knights had a chance with the weak Pacific to be really competitive and reach playoffs this season but these choices kind of kill that. I know it's still early but was hoping it would be better.

If they got a ton of picks in the deals I think it's a better long term situation. If they can push 75-80 points next season and have a ton of picks in their pocket moving forward, I'm a happy camper.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Again, we'll find out tomorrow where we stand. But even with this roster the Knights will have no problem with the Coyotes and will have, IMO, a better than even chance against the Flames, the Canucks, and the Oilers. Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are the unknown quantities but LA will be breaking in a new coach and the Sharks and Ducks are getting old.

I'm feeling very positive about Vegas' chances, and that's something of a new feeling for me... :D

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
based on what we know & who is speculated to be traded:

Karlsson Shipachyov Smith
Nosek Marchessault Tuch
Haula Eakin Leipsic
Bellemare Lindberg

Sbisa Schlemko
McNabb Stoner
TVR Engelland
Reinhart

MAF

so far

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA

Nosek Marchessault Tuch
Haula Eakin Leipsic
Bellemare Lindberg

Sbisa Schlemko
McNabb Stoner
TVR Engelland
Reinhart

MAF

so far

Would this team even be anywhere near the cap floor though?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

There's still the UFA and trade market. Vegas will have cap space and draft pick capital. I would hope they don't trade picks to acquire anyone over 27, but if a good deal came around on a good player under 25 they have the ammo to get him.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

Nosek Marchessault Tuch
Haula Eakin Leipsic
Bellemare Lindberg

Sbisa Schlemko
McNabb Stoner
TVR Engelland
Reinhart

MAF

so far

You are underestimating Lindberg.

He was Ranger's best center in the playoffs and then looked great in the WCs, on a line with Backstrom and Nylander.

He can without a doubt get a spot in the top-6.

He's sure as hell better than Karlsson, Nosek and Tuch.

Sky Valley

Mar 8, 2007
NBNJ
You are underestimating Lindberg.

He was Ranger's best center in the playoffs and then looked great in the WCs, on a line with Backstrom and Nylander.

He can without a doubt get a spot in the top-6.

He's sure as hell better than Karlsson, Nosek and Tuch.
I don't think he's ever going to be more that a 3C on a legitimate contender, but given the glut of backup goalies and the difficulty in turning up good centers, I'd say he was the better pick for Vegas over Raanta.

SP1966

Feb 11, 2013
Las Vegas

The worst thing for this team is to be too good early. The Wild were just good enough to make the playoffs for years while never being bad enough to draft and difference maker. The best thing for the Knights is to be bad to meh for a couple years while they stockpile young talent that could make them a contender by their 5th season.

As a Wild fan living in Vegas I can attest that the early success brought expectations that the team was never able to live up to outside of their Cinderella run to the WCFs.

Interestingly, even if only to me, this will be my third expansion franchise that I've been a fan of. I lived in OC when the Mighty Ducks came into the league, in Minnesota (I'm from there) for the Wild, and now the Knights.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Out of all the rumors, really hoping we get that #2 pick from Philly for an expansion pick and #6.

Patrick is getting underrated due to the injuries and the Tavares syndrome where he's been on the radar for too long and everything is getting criticized on every facet in his game like others don't get.

Hischier brings elite skill that the team will be lacking.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Did Vegas have much of a chance with that pick? Who else was available? Most of the Oilers talent was exempt because they didn't have enough years in.

Pouliot (but he makes too much money) or Kharia who actually looks like he has a future in the NHL unlike Reinhart

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The worst thing for this team is to be too good early. The Wild were just good enough to make the playoffs for years while never being bad enough to draft and difference maker. The best thing for the Knights is to be bad to meh for a couple years while they stockpile young talent that could make them a contender by their 5th season.

As a Wild fan living in Vegas I can attest that the early success brought expectations that the team was never able to live up to outside of their Cinderella run to the WCFs.

Interestingly, even if only to me, this will be my third expansion franchise that I've been a fan of. I lived in OC when the Mighty Ducks came into the league, in Minnesota (I'm from there) for the Wild, and now the Knights.

It looks like they're taking with Wild's strategy and moving it to 2017. I was a little afraid of that, I was hoping they'd go for a little more quality right off the hop.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I think this is the right play if the end goal is to win the Cup as soon as possible. You need elite players to be a Cup contender. Pretty much all Cup winners draft their elite players. You may get lucky a time or two with a guy in Round 2-7, but most elite players get drafted top 5/10.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'll pass judgment when I see how many picks we got but sending a third rounder back for Alex Tuch to not take Dumba is next to brain dead. Huge missed opportunity.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Tom Gulitti

@TomGulittiNHL

Foley said VGK had list of picks ready at 4 p.m. PT Tues. before realizing they had 13 forwards (need 14) so switched from a D to a forward
11:26 PM - 21 Jun 2017

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
FWIW, Vegas is still in on Spencer Foo but so is Edmonton and I gotta think the idea of possibly playing with McDavid is more enticing than the comparatively easier path to the big leagues through Vegas.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
I think this is the right play if the end goal is to win the Cup as soon as possible. You need elite players to be a Cup contender. Pretty much all Cup winners draft their elite players. You may get lucky a time or two with a guy in Round 2-7, but most elite players get drafted top 5/10.

Agreed. This roster we see tonight is due for enormous turnover before the draft, and then will see more players flipped before the deadline.

McPhee is clearly prioritizing young prospect types and picks to build a young roster, with some key vets that will settle in around them. Not all the prospects they get will work out. Of the picks same deal. But in the end the goal will be year 3 and 4 a glut of young players "arriving" on the big club.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015

I don't disagree that being too good too early can screw things up. That said if they get enough picks right out the gate they could still end up with very good draft collateral in the next couple entry drafts.

Honestly this team is probably going to be better on offense than I expected. I had them as a more defensively stacked roster, but they're not going to be completely overmatched down the middle and they'll have some scoring on the wings.

They'll be a bottom half of the league team for sure, but maybe more towards the middle of the pack than the bottom. A lot of it will come down to how these guys gel in the locker room, how well Turk runs them, and to what extent they get return from the prospects they bring in from trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad