Expansion draft discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Many other bigger moves will have an effect too, but I do think that keeping Compher makes it very difficult to resign Saad.

Right. Practically speaking, I view trading Compher for only a prospect/pick, effectively as trading Compher for Saad. And I’ve come to view keeping Compher is choosing Compher over Saad.

“Trading” Saad for Compher is not a winning trade. I used to be more focused on getting fair value but over time, the realization that it’s one or the other has altered how I view this. Clearing the space is enough reason for stapling Compher to Timmins and/or the 1st. I still don’t think Joe would trade the first though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You missed the point.

I don't believe so. If you could trade Compher for nothing it'd come down to "trading him for Saad" but that scenario doesnt exist in a world where all the other teams can't sign good players (like Saad) because of their bad contracts (like Compher's).

We want to save on Compher and spend it on better players...but all the other teams too would rather spend that 3.5M on better players.

The point is if you trade JTC you have to take money back which would prevent us to re-sign Saad.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don't believe so. If you could trade Compher for nothing it'd come down to "trading him for Saad" but that scenario doesnt exist in a world where all the other teams can't sign good players (like Saad) because of their bad contracts (like Compher's).

We want to save on Compher and spend it on better players...but all the other teams too would rather spend that 3.5M on better players.

The point is if you trade JTC you have to take money back which would prevent us to re-sign Saad.

No. If I say I wanted pop corn but I’m now in the mood for ice cream, would you go into this whole dissertation about the fact I don’t presently have ice cream in my refrigerator? That’s what’s kind of happening with this.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
According to my capfriendly simulation with the list of players that meet the exposure, here's who we'd expose right now (IMO):

Saad
Compher
Donskoi
Calvert
Bellemare
LOC (assuming he plays 7 more games)

EJ*
Graves
Macdonald (assuming he plays 6 more games)

Francouz
Miska
Johansson

---
Saad, Bellemare and Calvert are pending UFA's
EJ probably LTIR/undraftable
They won't touch the goalies
---

That leaves: Donskoi, Compher, LOC, Graves, Macdonald

---

Now if we trade for:
A dman that needs protection: Jost, Nuke and Burakovsky become available
A forward that needs protection: Jost becomes available.
A goalie that needs protection: Grubauer becomes available

Reactions: Richard88

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don't know if you've been following what's going on in the NHL in the last year or so, but this is not happening.

I wanted to circle back to this. Yes, Compher isn’t Stall. But after Bergevin said trades will be dollar for dollar you were banging on this drum pretty hard. Now, Bergevin has done a 180 and said he’d like to make a trade to clear cap space. And another team has done the same.

Needless to say, this goes contrary to it being dollar for dollar trades.

Last edited:

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
The hatred towards Donskoi in this thread is hilarious...

upload_2021-3-28_18-26-5.png

upload_2021-3-28_18-26-47.png

And everyone's so keen on getting rid of him? Geez.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He’s obviously playing well right now lol. When Donny goes back to a 2 point per month player with bad underlying numbers it’s gonna help the cap to get upgrades of Seattle takes him. But at this point the Avs will probably just protect him after the season he’s had.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I wanted to circle back to this. Yes, Compher isn’t Stall. But after Bergevin said trades will be dollar for dollar you were banging on this drum pretty hard. Now, Bergevin has done a 180 and said he’d like to make a trade to clear cap space. And another team has done the same.

Needless to say, this goes contrary to it being dollar for dollar trades.
Wanting to do cap dump trades, and actually pulling it off without overpaying, are two separate things. Bergevin is reportedly trying to move salary but so do most GM's.
The hatred towards Donskoi in this thread is hilarious...

View attachment 413843

View attachment 413844

And everyone's so keen on getting rid of him? Geez.
He's shooting over 30% right now and is due for a huge regression statistically.

Reactions: Balthazar

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
To be fair to him, he never looked so good, and he was playing great last season as well before he was done in with a concussion. And back on the Sharks he wasn't really a feature with their top talent, he was buried in the lineup at times.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There is no doubt Donskoi is due for a pretty big regression with that 30% shooting %. With that said maybe Donskoi has gotten over his consistency issue while playing with the Avs. IIRC when you think about it the only time he has had a slump with the Avs is after he got concussed. Maybe it just took him some time to be comfortable playing again. I might be wrong of course. A man can dream right?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There is no doubt Donskoi is due for a pretty big regression with that 30% shooting %. With that said maybe Donskoi has gotten over his consistency issue while playing with the Avs. IIRC when you think about it the only time he has had a slump with the Avs is after he got concussed. Maybe it just took him some time to be comfortable playing again. I might be wrong of course. A man can dream right?
He's going to regress hard but to be fair even outside of his shooting % he's playing good hockey...he gets plenty of chances even when they don't result in shots. He's often at the right spot at the right time.

Unlike Burakovsky, who's the complete opposite these days.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He's going to regress hard but to be fair even outside of his shooting % he's playing good hockey...he gets plenty of chances even when they don't result in shots. He's often at the right spot at the right time.

Unlike Burakovsky, who's the complete opposite these days.
Donskoi has shown in both seasons with the Avs that he can produce when he has a decent center on his line (i.e. anyone but Compher).

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Can someone explain to me why goalies don’t have a minimum games played stipulation for the ED? Or am I missing something? It essentially allows a team like CBJ to protect both goalies and just expose their pending RFA goalie (if qualified).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Can someone explain to me why goalies don’t have a minimum games played stipulation for the ED? Or am I missing something? It essentially allows a team like CBJ to protect both goalies and just expose their pending RFA goalie (if qualified).

Simple numbers... only have 2 goalie spots with not a ton of games played makes it hard to create fair exposure requirements. Same thought as having less defensemen exposure requirements than forwards.

Reactions: Perratrooper

yeaher

May 3, 2019
I'm not too concerned. I reckon Graves will probably be the one they take off of us or Donskoi. I like both players a lot but they are replaceable.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad