Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
These players are a dime a dozen and can easily be replaced within the organization. LV will not waste a pick on them unless we pay them to do so. The DD cult is morphing into the Hudon cult, so scary.

If you look at the forwards likely available for LV it's very short on talent. So I think they will grab a number of young forward prospects like Hudon/Andrighetto. But you're right in a sense that most teams have similar guys, so whether they take that kind of player from us or another team is certainly debatable.

I don't see them being all that interested in Beaulieu or Emelin because there will be a bunch of better D available, so they should already have filled out their top-6 D. So we are likely losing a forward, and it will come down to taking a 3rd/4th liner like Mitchell or a prospect with some upside it would make sense to take the prospect.

Also keep in mind, they are drafting 30 players, but the roster is 23 players so 7 players they draft won't be on their NHL team. Grabbing a prospect that might pass through waivers makes some sense. This is also why they will likely gamble and take a few UFAs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No, exempt as well.

Losing Plekanec to LV would be addition by subtraction. Like losing DD to injury this year.

Markov is not exempt, just unlikely to be picked unless LV wants to take a gamble that they can convince him to leave the Habs which would mean they would need to offer him a good bit of money over what the Habs would be willing to pay imo.

If Plekanec puts up 60 pts there's no way in hell Habs leave him unprotected.

agreed but even with getting 8 pts in the last 8 games he's still only on pace for 38 pts, granted that could jump a good bit if he keeps this up but that's why I've been saying we need to just wait and see how the season goes before we know who will be protected and who won't be.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I wonder if a deal could be made with Vegas where we send them something in exchange of them picking one particular person off of us. This way, we can keep all of the depth we want and control their pick.

Would you give them two of Hudon/Barberio/De La Rose/Carr to **** off about picking anyone else?

Last edited:

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
3 questions:

1) Frölunda HC is a professional club right? So Lehkonen is now playing his 3rd pro season... why doesn’t he need to be protected?

2) We currently do not fulfil the expansion draft goalies requirement... true/false?

3) Is there a minimum of games played required for the unprotected goalie?

Ref.:

Lehkonen

"... All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)..."

Goalies

"... All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

(...)

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list..."

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I wonder if a deal could be made with Vegas where we send them something in exchange of them picking one particular person off of us. This way, we can keep all of the depth we want and control their pick.

Would you give them two of Hudon/Barberio/De La Rose/Carr to **** off about picking anyone else?

It has been done in the past, by us, and the price was not that high.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
To me it's becoming a little bit more clear who should be protected for the expansion draft:

Forwards
Galchenyuk
Radulov (MB better resign him)
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Lehkonen
Danault
Byron

Defensemen
Weber
Petry
Beaulieu
(Markov doesn't need to be protected correct?)

Goalies
Price

Shaw and Emelin lose out to Danault Byron and Beaulieu because of their salaries.

Hudon, Carr, and Ghetto could make a case for themselves.

Shaw will definitely be protected. Like others have said, Lehkonen will be exempt. I would protect Radulov even if he's not signed. It prevents LV from taking him and trading him somewhere else. I don't want another team to have negotiating rights for him except us. Too risky.

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Shaw
Radulov
Danault

After that, we can protect one of Plekanec, Byron & Mitchell. No one else is worth protecting on forward, or is exempt. The only Ice Cap they might consider is DLR, because of his size & age.

On D, Weber & Petry.

That leaves one of Emelin & Beaulieu to be protected. Pateryn, Redmond and anyone else is not even in the conversation.

We will also have to trade for a goalie or get Montoya to agree to a one year contract extension. He might do so considering it is highly unlikely he will be chosen by LV. Better goaltenders will be available and better players will be available from us.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
These players are a dime a dozen and can easily be replaced within the organization. LV will not waste a pick on them unless we pay them to do so. The DD cult is morphing into the Hudon cult, so scary.

There's no DD cult around here. And even less of a Hudon cult.

Sorry, but the only prophet on this board is Lars Eller. His followers have been quiet lately, but just wait until he's got a multi-points game and you will see what a real cult is. :laugh:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
To me it's becoming a little bit more clear who should be protected for the expansion draft:

Forwards
Galchenyuk
Radulov (MB better resign him)
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Lehkonen
Danault
Byron

Defensemen
Weber
Petry
Beaulieu
(Markov doesn't need to be protected correct?)

Goalies
Price

Shaw and Emelin lose out to Danault Byron and Beaulieu because of their salaries.

Hudon, Carr, and Ghetto could make a case for themselves.

Shaw will get protected if he keeps playing like he has. Plekanec I would risk exposing if he is under 50 points pace, especially given the better linemates he will have for the next 8 weeks.

Galchenyuk
Radulov
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Shaw
Danault
Byron

Weber
Petry
Emelin (he's better than Beaulieu AINEC)

Price (sign Montoya or Phil Parent or my little brother who played Bantam AA goalie in the 70s)

Now, is it worth giving up assets in order to control whether LV takes Plekanec, Mitchell, Carr, deLaRose, Angrighetto, Hudon, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Redmond, or Barberio??

Mitchell is unlikely to be taken. Would we be so motivated to get Plekanec's cap hit back that we would give away another player that they might pick instead? Wouldn't we have to give even more considerations in that case?

If the LV GM wants deLaRose wouldn't we have to give up more than deLaRose to get them to take a different player that we prefer them to take?

member 256847

Don't think so. There are enough slots to protect every player of significance.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
3 questions:

1) Frölunda HC is a professional club right? So Lehkonen is now playing his 3rd pro season... why doesn’t he need to be protected?

2) We currently do not fulfil the expansion draft goalies requirement... true/false?

Ref.:

Lehkonen

"... All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)..."

Goalies

"... All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

(...)

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list..."

1) yes they are a professional club, it might be due to him being junior aged in the Euro leagues up until last season. He shows up as not having to be protected so I assume that's the case.

2) True

3) no i don't think there is a minimum of games played

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
1) yes they are a professional club, it might be due to him being junior aged in the Euro leagues up until last season. He shows up as not having to be protected so I assume that's the case.

2) True

3) no i don't think there is a minimum of games played

Thanks

I am surprised by (1) because a 20 years old player in his 3rd NHL season would need to be protected. As for the absence of a minimal requirement in terms of games played by the unprotected goalie... it's weird (we can sign a no name goalie to the league minimum, expose him during the expansion draft and, if necessary, buy him out later!) but good for us!

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
In light of all this (Lehkonen does not need to be protected and the G situation is easy to fix if there truly is no requirement in terms of games played by the unprotected goalie), I would go with this:

Galchenyuk
Radulov
Pacioretty
Gallagher
Shaw
Danault
(Byron or Hudon) Note: if 27 years old Byron ends the season with 20+ goals, I would protect him.

Weber
Petry
(Emelin or Beaulieu)

As the Habs’ GM, my next steps would be:

(1) Sign Radulov ASAP

(2) I still consider Plekanec as one of the good two ways players in the league but because of the expansion draft, I would try the following trade:

Plekanec + (Hudon or Byron) + (Beaulieu or Emelin) for a #2C. Throw a high pick if necessary.

(3) I would give Markov a juicy enough two years extension that would hopefully act as some kind of deterrent. Markov deserves it anyway and we still badly need him: we are so thin on LD.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
3 questions:

Ref.:

Lehkonen

Goalies

(...)

The NHL defined "professionals" as playing under an NHL contract or a two way NHL/AHL contract, or under NHL (or NHL/AHL) contract but on loan to Europe.

Lehkonen did not sign his first NHL contract til this summer.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thanks

I am surprised by (1) because a 20 years old player in his 3rd NHL season would need to be protected. As for the absence of a minimal requirement in terms of games played by the unprotected goalie... it's weird (we can sign a no name goalie to the league minimum, expose him during the expansion draft and, if necessary, buy him out later!) but good for us!

The goalie has to have 2 pro seasons, it can't just be someone off the street.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
The goalie has to have 2 pro seasons, it can't just be someone off the street.

Thanks

So there is a minimal requirement for the exposed goalie. However, the absence of a minimal requirement in terms of games played by the unprotected goalie makes it a very easy requirement to fulfil: we just need to extend Danis one more year right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Plekanec puts up 60 pts there's no way in hell Habs leave him unprotected.

I'd leave him unprotected. He's UFA in one season after this one. Same goes for Emelin. The expansion draft pick is a valuable tool for LV to become competitive quick. Why would you pick a guy that is UFA in one season as appose to another guy who you can control his salary for a few years. LV will target 20-30 year old players with term on their contract or RFA's. Guys like Pleky and Emelin can be signed as free agents.

Having said all that, If the Habs want to unload Pleky's $6M salary, they may have to send a draft pick (3rd or 4th round pick ish) to have LV select Pleky. LV then gets Pleky and a draft pick so they would be happy with that.

Habs won't be losing a big asset in the expansion draft.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB

Is that allowed?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is that allowed?

Good luck proving it if it's not aloud. I wouldn't do this as it's risky and the Habs don't really have any serious players they will lose.

I really think MB exposes Pleky and sends LV a 3rd or 4th round pick to have them pick him. That's saves the Habs $6M and can be used to go after a 2nd line center that fits well behind Galchenyuk. Someone with a good combo of size/skill/skating/face off %

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Good luck proving it if it's not aloud. I wouldn't do this as it's risky and the Habs don't really have any serious players they will lose.

I really think MB exposes Pleky and sends LV a 3rd or 4th round pick to have them pick him. That's saves the Habs $6M and can be used to go after a 2nd line center that fits well behind Galchenyuk. Someone with a good combo of size/skill/skating/face off %

There's close to nothing on the market this summer...

You talk about Plekanec like he has already negative value. Trade him if you really want to get rid of him. Giving up extra draft picks on top of it...We're not talking about Clarkson or Bickell here ...

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I guess we'll have to wait and see what value Plekanec has at the end of the season. If he only gets 30 points this year, then at his salary his value will be negative. He has 13 points in 28 games so far, putting him on pace for about 39 points. But this is only because he got 4 points in Saturday's 10-1 win against Colorado. Take that game away and he is not on pace to get even 30.

Now, hopefully he heats up and gets 45-50 points this year, but there's no way he is getting 60. Not a chance. I think he finishes with 31 or 32 points at the most.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I guess we'll have to wait and see what value Plekanec has at the end of the season. If he only gets 30 points this year, then at his salary his value will be negative. He has 13 points in 28 games so far, putting him on pace for about 39 points. But this is only because he got 4 points in Saturday's 10-1 win against Colorado. Take that game away and he is not on pace to get even 30.

Now, hopefully he heats up and gets 45-50 points this year, but there's no way he is getting 60. Not a chance. I think he finishes with 31 or 32 points at the most.

i think if he remains sandwiched between Patch and Radu for the rest of the season, he gets very close to 60. Those points are going to be mainly engineered by the other two linemates, not him. For this reason and his absurd salary, he should not be protected and we should all wish that LV picks him and leave us Beaulieu. Danault is already a more useful player than Plekanec. We badly need a scoring center with size, but if we don't trade for one, I would still prefer to start next season with Galchenyuk, Danault, Mitchell and McCarron than having Plekanec. We finally got rid of DD. Pleks is next.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I agree with that. His salary is just too high, even if he does get 60 pts. It would be great to free up his salary. He also didn't do very well last time the habs were in the playoffs. He was a decent playoff performer before 2014, but the last time the Habs were at the dance, he was mostly ineffectual.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If the expansion draft was today, we would protect
Chucky, Patch, Gally, Shawzie, Byron, Danault, Plekanec
Petry, Weber, Beaulieu
Price

Later, Plekanec might be switched by Radulov (if we give him a contract before the exp. draft) or Hudon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad