Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
What about NTC's and NMC's?
Markov - has a modified NTC, 16 teams he won't accept trade to, and who's contract is up summer 2017.
Emelin - has a current full NTC that becomes a modified NTC, 10 teams he will accept trade to, on July 1st of this year.
Petry - has a current NMC, which becomes a modified NTC on July 1st 2018
Plekanec - has a modified NTC that ends July 1st this year

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd protect Eller over Plekanec. Eller is younger, and if needed, would be easier to trade. Agree with the rest

What are the odds Plekanec would get picked with his new 2-year contract? He's a good gamble to leave off the protection list. Bergevin can better spend that cap savings elsewhere.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14987657/nhl-gms-preview-potential-expansion-draft-rules

Some details:

Teams will have the option of either protecting seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie in total; or go with the option of protecting eight skaters (whether they're defensemen or forwards) and one goalie.

First- and second-year pros -- those are players playing pro hockey at any level -- will be exempt from the expansion draft; the bottom line is that if they are signed and playing pro hockey, they're exempt in their first two years. But if they're entering their third year of pro hockey, they're no longer exempt for the expansion draft. Teams would have to either protect them or expose them.

Unsigned draft picks, think college or European players mostly, are exempt from the expansion draft for two years from their draft year but no longer in Year 3, so teams will have to either rush to sign those guys or simply expose them in the expansion draft.

The total salaries for the players made available by each team in the expansion draft must be at least 25 percent of the previous season's payroll for that team. To which Daly explained: "The other variation that makes this expansion draft different is we would contemplate having some thresholds based on salary to make sure that the expansion club can be competitive based on the ranges we have in the CBA. Teams would have some obligation to expose a level of salary. And in terms of drafting players, teams would have to draft a certain threshold of salary."

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Markov - has a modified NTC, 16 teams he won't accept trade to, and who's contract is up summer 2017.
Emelin - has a current full NTC that becomes a modified NTC, 10 teams he will accept trade to, on July 1st of this year.

In 2017

Markov's contract will be done.

Emelin could be a problem but I expect him to be traded this summer.

Petry and Subban will be protected anyway.

Plekanec NTC will be done.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Keep in mind that the absolute earliest expansion could occur would be in 2017. If they don't hash out the details before June, than 2018-2019 would be the earliest date. The roster will be quite different from what it is now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Keep in mind that the absolute earliest expansion could occur would be in 2017. If they don't hash out the details before June, than 2018-2019 would be the earliest date. The roster will be quite different from what it is now.

We'll probably have more 4th liners signed to long term deals by then. ;)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Quebec isn't getting a team.

Las Vegas and Bob McKenzie thinks Seattle.

Quebec only gets a team if an Eastern team relocates.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Unsigned draft picks, think college or European players mostly, are exempt from the expansion draft for two years from their draft year but no longer in Year 3, so teams will have to either rush to sign those guys or simply expose them in the expansion draft.

... Wow. I'd be surprised not to see the NCAA go bananas over this.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The total salaries for the players made available by each team in the expansion draft must be at least 25 percent of the previous season's payroll for that team. To which Daly explained: "The other variation that makes this expansion draft different is we would contemplate having some thresholds based on salary to make sure that the expansion club can be competitive based on the ranges we have in the CBA. Teams would have some obligation to expose a level of salary.

Interesting.
If Markov and Desharnais counts toward the list of unprotected players (provided both are still here next season and both aren't extended by the draft in Summer of 17), we're probably okay as far as this clause is concerned. This takes for granted that Emelin isn't protect, and those three guys salary add up to a decent chunk of caproom for next season.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

Per LeBrun. Meaning Lehkonen & Reway would also be exposed

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I don't believe they would be factored into the expansion draft. The NTC's and NMC's are between the player and team and the team is obliged to comply to them. However the expansion draft supersedes the ability of any team to uphold the conditions of a particular contract.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I don't believe they would be factored into the expansion draft. The NTC's and NMC's are between the player and team and the team is obliged to comply to them. However the expansion draft supersedes the ability of any team to uphold the conditions of a particular contract.

I fully expect a grievance in regards to NMC's.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So DarrenDreger just said if NHL expands (almost certain it will) that teams can protect 7 forwards, 3 defenseman, and 1 goalie.

If the league expands by 1 team existing franchises can lose 1 player. If the league expands by 2 they can lose 2 players. 1st and 2nd year players are exempt. So are prospects.

So who in your team would you protect? Seems that given the ability to protect 7 forwards 3 defenseman and 1 goalie some teams are going to lose some good players.

If this year (I know it's not but you have to start somewhere), my list would be:

Price

Subban
Petry
Beaulieu

Pacioretty
Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Eller
DeLaRose
Andrighetto
Carr

Exempt:
Fucale
Johnston
Lernout
McCarron
Scherbak
MacMillan
Gregoire

plus Juulsen, McNiven, Audette - prospects still in CHL

Vulnerable/Available:
Condon
Scrivens (UFA)
Markov
Emelin
Pateryn
Barberio
Bartley (UFA)
Gilbert (UFA)
Dietz
Ellis
Hanley
Bennett
Plekanec
Desharnais
Mitchell
Flynn
Brown (UFA)
Byron
Danault
Lessio
Matteau
Hudon
Bournival
Friberg
Bozon
Crisp
Holloway (UFA)
Dumont (UFA)
Scott (UFA)

I think the two guys we lose are probably Barberio and Danault, Condon honourable mention.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's my understanding that any players with NMC have to be protected and count toward the 7-3-1 allotment.

It's my understanding too.

But on other hand, you can't force a team to protect a player.
(Not that we won't be protecting Subban and Petry anyways mind you)

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I wonder if players with NMC would be exempt from this draft

Exactly my thoughts... how in hell can't we protect Markov ? He's better than both Petry and Beaulieu...

Anyhow, can't wait to see how it will pan out ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad