Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Las Vegas will most definitely pick up Beaulieu if we leave him open, but I don't know if they'll pick up Emelin if we do the same.

Beaulieu is a RFA and even in the worst case scenario they'll sign him to a 2-3 year bridge contract, whereas Emelin is essentially a 1 year rental. So they'd have a cost-controlled 3rd pairing D at worst and at best somebody who can grow into a second pairing D.

I think Vegas is building towards the future, and I don't see a reason, other than to flip him at the deadline, for them to pick Emelin off of us. They'll most likely grab Hudon than Emelin imo. Although, ultimately it all depends on Emelin's performance. If he keeps putting in top pairing showings for the rest of the reason and shows up big in the playoffs, there's no way the Habs leave him exposed to the expansion draft.

Look at what other defenceman will likely be available.
http://planmyteam.com/NHL/Expansion

Vegas could have
Fowler
Ekholm
Brodin/Scandella
Trouba
Mueller
Zadorov
Reinhart

I'm not sure Beaulieu or Emelin beats out any of those guys. Not too mention guys like Murphy, McCabe, Merrill, Petrovic, etc...

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Look at what other defenceman will likely be available.
http://planmyteam.com/NHL/Expansion

Vegas could have
Fowler
Ekholm
Brodin/Scandella
Trouba
Mueller
Zadorov
Reinhart

I'm not sure Beaulieu or Emelin beats out any of those guys. Not too mention guys like Murphy, McCabe, Merrill, Petrovic, etc...

Don't think Fowler (would be traded before let go for free), Ekholm (NSH is going with 8 skaters and protecting their 4 Ds), Trouba (They would protect Trouba and let go of Myers first), Zadorov (would think COL tries to make Beauchemin waive the NMC, but could possibly be taken), Reinhart (I would take Beau/Emelin before them).

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
If Vegas has even a remote penchant for advanced statistics, I can't see them not taking Byron, given how productive/effective he is with 5on5/SH minutes. That's a very cost-effective pickup for a team that will likely look for smart deals rather than big ones in the expansion draft.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If Vegas has even a remote penchant for advanced statistics, I can't see them not taking Byron, given how productive/effective he is with 5on5/SH minutes. That's a very cost-effective pickup for a team that will likely look for smart deals rather than big ones in the expansion draft.

Byron is going to be protected if he keeps up the great work.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Emelin contract is only for next year, so his contract shouldn't be a concern for them as they will be far from the cap.

I'm 90% sure they pick one of Emelin, Beaulieu or Plekanec. 7% for Hudon and 3% for anyone else.

Yeah, I'm with you, although it really depends on what else is out there. I think they will have their pick of mid-level b prospects like Hudon, Ghetto, Carr, so I don't think they'll be particularly attractive compared to what other teams have exposed. They could go for DLR as he is about as young as they come for non-exempt players and he has an interesting package of size, speed, and defensive skills.

Ultimately though I think they'll go for Plekanec if available as the list of proven, veteran 2-way centres is going to be very short. Plek will eat tough minutes and provide shelter for the younger, offensive guys, kill penalties, and provide leadership. If things don't work out, they could eat half his cap-hit and get a decent return at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad