Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion Part III - The Final Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
On TSN, you can play at being the GM for the expansion draft. I feel like some players that are available to pick won't actually be there on June 21st but whatever.. I came up with these players:

Moulson - Jarnkrok - Ryan
Jokinen - Jenner - Stempniak
Zucker - Kruger - Andrighetto
Abdelkader - Nick Shore - Ward
Shinkaruk, Dano, Rychel, Boucher, Rattie

Vatanen - Schenn
McQuaid - Hamhuis
De Haan - J. Schultz
Beaulieu, Koekkoek, Merrill, Reinhart

Raanta, Neuvirth, Grubauer

I tried to pick a bunch of young players with some upside and a few veterans. That's not an actual lineup though.. and I left some players like Cammalleri, Gaborik and others out because of their contracts. They are all signed for next year (or RFA)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think LV is going to take Davidson (assuming Beaulieu gets traded).

Why would we want to lose two defencemen?

Unless a Beaulieu trade fetches a real asset, why trade him when we still have to lose another player???

Meanwhile, I had a thought. If we can't get LV to take Plekanec or Emelin, who is the bigger loss to the team, Beaulieu/Benn (i.e. the 4th D) or Byron/Danault (i.e. the 5th F)?

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015

Unless a Beaulieu trade fetches a real asset, why trade him when we still have to lose another player???

Meanwhile, I had a thought. If we can't get LV to take Plekanec or Emelin, who is the bigger loss to the team, Beaulieu/Benn (i.e. the 4th D) or Byron/Danault (i.e. the 5th F)?

Sergachev is going to be on the team next year. So Weber, Markov, Petry, Benn, Emelin, Sergachev. With a bunch of other D coming up. We're OK on D. Sub in Beaulieu for Sergachev or Benn and I don't think we're all that much better a team, if at all.
I think Habs can trade Beaulieu for an asset. If you think that he's so bad that we can't get an asset for him, then why on earth would you be upset to "lose" him???
I don't necessarily "want" to lose two defensemen - I just think that LV will pick Davidson. Predictions are different than desires.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
If they go the cheaper route and need a D, then I can see it. But if they're having issues getting to the (cap) floor, then Emelin or Plekanec become good options

Could be. I think they're looking for youth though so I'm thinking they take Davidson. I would prefer Emelin. But it kind of makes sense that they would take the player that we would least prefer.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Jerabek and Sergachev will certainly be on the team.....2 in, 2 out, plus whoever else they want to sign in the offseason.

Lernout is another one that's almost ready and who can do spot duty....we're fine

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jerabek and Sergachev will certainly be on the team.....2 in, 2 out, plus whoever else they want to sign in the offseason.

Lernout is another one that's almost ready and who can do spot duty....we're fine

I agree we're fine in numbers, however we still need a top pairing D to play alongside Weber. After center, that would be, IMO, our biggest need.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sergachev is no shoo-in to be on the team. That remains to be seen.

Maybe the trump card is Jerabek, could help buy time until Sergachev is ready.

If Beaulieu isn't traded by Saturday, he's gotta be on that third D protection slot. Can't see Benn protected over him.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015

If Beaulieu isn't traded by Saturday, he's gotta be on that third D protection slot. Can't see Benn protected over him.

I think Sergachev will be on the team. He is not eligible to play in the AHL and I think another year in the O is a bad idea. So what's left? Ideally he starts in the A but he can't so...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Sergachev will be on the team. He is not eligible to play in the AHL and I think another year in the O is a bad idea. So what's left? Ideally he starts in the A but he can't so...

From what I've read, he's not ready. Stephane Leroux of RDS, who follows junior players extensively, has said as much. We'll see, I guess.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Sergachev is making the team for sure IMO. Even if he's not a regular he will develop more than if he's being sent to junior again.

He won the Memorial Cup, there's nothing else to do in junior for him...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sergachev is making the team for sure IMO. Even if he's not a regular he will develop more than if he's being sent to junior again.

He won the Memorial Cup, there's nothing else to do in junior for him...

That's too bad. Here's hoping.

Well guys, now we're all hoping he doesn't make the team next year. :laugh:

Aug 25, 2009
éal
still waiting for a quality argument for protecting Shaw over Hudon

I cant see Vegas taking a 3.9M 3rd line, 25 points winger.

Can totally see them taking a flyer on a young Hudon

Make them take a D, either Benn or Davidson.

Protect: Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Byron, Hudon, Pacioretty, Danault
Beaulieu, Weber and Petry

Expose: Shaw, Plekanec, Benn, Davidson.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto

100% this.

No doubt this is the way to go. Assuming no other moves are made, of course.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I would do that also (Emelin should be exposed also). In that scenario, expect Davidson to be picked up depending who other teams leave exposed. If there are no quality 2C or 3C, maybe we'll get lucky and Pleks with his $6m cap hit will be gone.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
MB can let Shaw and Pleks whistle in the wind, LV is not taking any flyers on those guys.

LV will most likely end up having to take Emelin or DLR. If they are lucky Beau is left un protected and they can snatch him up but I think MB will move Beau for something before he loses him for free.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City

I also agree with this.

It would be a hit on our roster if they take Shaw or Plekanec, but I seriously doubt they would pick them, because of their contracts. Plekanec, maybe, to swap him at the trade deadline and get a decent draft pick. But they won't take Shaw's contract.

I like Shaw, but with his contract, I'd rather lose him than lose Hudon or DeLaRose.

Also, add Emelin in the exposed players. He's overpaid but is in the same situation as Pleks. Good player that you can swap at the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad