Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion Part III - The Final Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
True. Not that Karpan and Gallant are perfect, but we will have a great indication as to who they really think could help them.

What I can wait to see though is the trades McPhee could be able to do with the guys he'll picked. Pretty sure that some guys in there will be going somewhere else in exchange for some other stuff.

McPhee has said that he will select some players in the expansion draft for the sole purpose of trading them for other assets. It wouldn't surprise me if they select a player and trade him back to the team they selected him from for someone else (possibly someone exempt from the draft initially?) and some draft picks.

AboveandBeyond

Jun 1, 2013
Hollows Edge
I find it interesting the comments surrounding Hudon. The guy has only played 6 games in the NHL but some of us habs fans have a sort of hope in him . I personally am the same way as I would like to see him make the jump next year and start on the habs . I have no idea what's in stock for Hudon but I have a feeling he will be a solid player in the NHL for a long time .

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I feel like with Hudon, nobody has ever really trusted him. But every time I see this guy play, he is involved. You notice him on the ice. He makes things happen. In the WJC, every time he was on the ice (wasn't enough) there would be a scoring chance. In the NHL he stepped in and immediately his line scores.

There is just something about this guy, he shakes things up and he makes plays happen. He just has that quality about him.

I feel like he never gets a real shot anywhere he goes. I don't know why. Is it his size? The guy plays big, he is physical and gritty. My biggest issue with him was his injury history but he seems to be better now.

I really feel like we will regret it if he goes somewhere else and they give him a real opportunity. There's just something about this guy, I have been saying it for years now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I feel like with Hudon, nobody has ever really trusted him. But every time I see this guy play, he is involved. You notice him on the ice. He makes things happen. In the WJC, every time he was on the ice (wasn't enough) there would be a scoring chance. In the NHL he stepped in and immediately his line scores.

There is just something about this guy, he shakes things up and he makes plays happen. He just has that quality about him.

I feel like he never gets a real shot anywhere he goes. I don't know why. Is it his size? The guy plays big, he is physical and gritty. My biggest issue with him was his injury history but he seems to be better now.

I really feel like we will regret it if he goes somewhere else and they give him a real opportunity. There's just something about this guy, I have been saying it for years now.

That's because he's a smart player with underwhelming physical abilities. Sort of a reverse Lars Eller, actually.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No trades yet? There must be a ton of phone calling back and forth going on right now across the league. Curious as to how many trades were going to see.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No trades yet? There must be a ton of phone calling back and forth going on right now across the league. Curious as to how many trades were going to see.

The league is simply making sure they aren't leaked before their show.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I agree with you about Hudon. He's got that it factor and he deserves a shot a playing time in our top 6. Give him a chance or some other team will and we will look back and say, why did we let this kid go.

I also think Davidson might be protected. I like Beaulieu but I think Davidson is the better player for us in the bottom of our line-up. He even got some playing time with Weber towards the end of the season too.

Don't think Benn or Emelin are getting taken. Vegas will have a great selection of D to choose from across the league.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not these, of course.

This is what I am interested in. There has to be some moves made by now till Saturday right? Teams trying to help each other out to be better prepared on who they protect and who they might loose. I'll be surprised there are no trades but I'm also surprised there are none yet too

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Totally agree. And what we're seeing is the hockey IQ. Not the fastest, not the biggest, not the hardest shot, but just get things going. So to be that present means a higher hockey IQ that should NOT be disregarded.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This is what I am interested in. There has to be some moves made by now till Saturday right? Teams trying to help each other out to be better prepared on who they protect and who they might loose. I'll be surprised there are no trades but I'm also surprised there are none yet too

Well, the Gravoac for 5th was exactly such a trade (and the rationale was to not expose Lars Eller/Jay Beagle for no reason whatseover).

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I hope Davidson is picked. 1.4M for this piece of crap is at least twice too expensive.

I wouldn't mind that either, but $1.4M for 1 year isn't crippling and the player has some upside if he can stay healthy.

Edit: If LV is going for a D, I don't know why they wouldn't go for Emelin instead. More proven and more likely to be attractive at the deadline for picks. The $4.1 cap hit shouldn't be a factor for a team that won't be close to the cap.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I hope Davidson is picked. 1.4M for this piece of crap is at least twice too expensive.

No way. Davidson is very underrated, he has a ton of potential and has played well for us. When Emelin was injured and Davidson was playing in the playoffs, he was very impressive. In fact, when Emelin came back, he caused two goals against with his trademark brainfarts. It would have been better to keep Davidson in there, he's a great depth defenceman on a good contract.

I don't understand why people are saying he sucks. He's the kind of defenceman who you don't notice on the ice, which is exactly what you want from a depth guy. Show me one video clip of him messing up and causing a goal this year while playing for Montreal. Seriously. Try and find it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Davidson has upside however, there is only one protection slot on D. No one is going to protect Davidson over Beaulieu.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Eric Engels evoked the possibility that Hudon may be protected...

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Eric Engels evoked the possibility that Hudon may be protected...

Either him or JDLR.

Tough call but I'm one the few who still believe in the latter. Seemed to find some offense late last year and we know he's got the defensive game to play in the NHL.

I'd love to keep them both. You never have too many young NHL bodies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If Plekanec could be traded for picks we would have done it by now and freed ourselves of his cap. We'll have to give up assets for Vegas to take Plekanec off our hands.

Vegas will have plenty of better options for guys they can flip at the deadline. They all can't be "sure things". You can only ice a 23-man roster. Hudon IS ready, though, and he'll get a great opportunity in Vegas. If he's available, they'll take him. Why would they waste their time, selection and cap space on Plekanec or Emelin, or on a Jordie Benn who become really overvalued on these boards? They'd be dumb to do that.

At this point in time, that is true, but I was referring to LV trading Pleks at the trade deadline. With only a couple months left on his contract and LV potentially eating salary, I'm sure he could return at least a 2nd. Maybe even a 2nd and a 3rd depending on the market. A vet all-situations C would be a nice add for a contender at the deadline. The problem is his cap hit between now and the deadline, which won't be a problem for LV. I believe it is a $6M cap hit but only $5M in actual salary, so they would actually save money relative to the cap hit. And he could provide useful minutes for LV in the meanwhile. Hudon might not make it past training camp.

You are right though, it really does depend what else is out there so it is hard to say for certain what direction they'll go. I really don't think there will be too many vet centres that can play tough minutes and be a valuable trading chip out there though. There will probably be a lot of marginal/unproven talent available.

Not sure why you call it a waste of time. There is a clear strategy behind selecting Plekanec and I for one think it is a good one given the slim pickings they'll have from Montreal.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Either him or JDLR.

Tough call but I'm one the few who still believe in the latter. Seemed to find some offense late last year and we know he's got the defensive game to play in the NHL.

I'd love to keep them both. You never have too many young NHL bodies.

I think LV is going to take Davidson (assuming Beaulieu gets traded).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad