HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021 Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
...they are entering the League in the worst division in hockey where One-Line Edmonton looks to be the 2nd best team...don't be shocked to see them make the playoffs...

They are going to push to win now no doubt. they need to fill the building and build momentum. This whole thing is set up to let them compete right away. Nobody is happy if they don't make the playoffs, plus the West is weak and their division sucks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
TB would not had won their two Cups without Vasilesvky brilliant play.
Maybe...

I mean, it's like Dryden. He didn't really get the credit because he played on powerhouse teams. But he was good enough to lead us to a crazy cup win in 71.

Tampa has more than one way to win. Their D is just as good as their O and they've got Vasi. Just an absolutely terrific team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mention it because you seemed to pass it off as reputation based as though there’s nothing behind it. The guy just finished leading us to our best run in almost thirty years. It’s not like he can’t still bring it. And without him, we’re f***ed.

Wasn't trying to pass it off like that...but the Cup run is done.

I've moved on, I'm not going to continue to prop the Habs up using it.

Ultimately they lost.

Yes I agree he can still bring it...but no, I don't agree we're ****ed without him...hell the last decade we've often been ****ed WITH him (no, not blaming him entirely for that).

And... that’s okay from a rebuild standpoint. But we’re not going to go out and find someone from the bargain bin who’s going to be able to carry us like he did in the immediate.
Maybe we can start building a team identify not completely wrapped up in the goalie.

We been chasing chat strategy since 93.

People who think we can just cheap out on a platoon pair and get the same results are in for a rude awakening.
I'm not one of these people...I haven't even begun to think about who would replace him because I don't think he's going anywhere.

But I think this team is finally embracing the idea of making someone other than the goalie the star attraction here.

And I'm all for it .

We're so goalie obsessed in this market...we've spent the entire hear convincing ourselves the Seattle Krakken absolutely want Jake Allen...I mean, how could they ever want anyone else.

Now in the last 48hrs...we've shifted that to Carey Price and have concluded that they are going to pick him for sure.

Even though there's more reasons that point to them NOT taking him.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamtalbot

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe...

I mean, it's like Dryden. He didn't really get the credit because he played on powerhouse teams. But he was good enough to lead us to a crazy cup win in 71.

Tampa has more than one way to win. Their D is just as good as their O and they've got Vasi. Just an absolutely terrific team.
More importantly...the Bolts were already an elite team before Vas ever established himself.

He came to compliment everything they had...not the other way around.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Ultimately they lost.

Yes I agree he can still bring it...but no, I don't agree we're ****ed without him...hell the last decade we've often been ****ed WITH him (no, not blaming him entirely for that).
I actually think we're f***ed with him this year as well without Weber. It's not going to matter if he's healthy or not if we a brutal blueline again.

But with him we at least had a chance at the playoffs. Now that's gone. I don't see how the hell we make it without those two guys.

So yeah, we're f***ed... in the short term. And, that's not bad from a rebuild perspective.
Maybe we can start building a team identify not completely wrapped up in the goalie.

It was never a strategy.

We simply sucked at putting a team together. You can't play DD as your first line center and expect to win. And nobody forced us to do that.

Again, it should never be great goalie or great team. It should be both. We used to understand this. Tampa understands this now.

And we had every opportunity to do it. We had Subban, Gallagher, Markov, Max... if we'd traded Chuck for a vet instead of f***ing around we could've had an awesome team. Instead we went with... DD. I mean...?????
I'm not one of these people...I haven't even begun to think about who would replace him because I don't think he's going anywhere.

But I think this team is finally embracing the idea of making someone other than the goalie the star attraction here.

And I'm all for it .
I was always all for it. So was everyone else. It NEVER should've been all on him but it was. We were ridiculously dependent on him and it killed us. I still remember 2016. He was pacing for a second Hart. We were 10-2 and on fire. Subban was the leading Norris candidate. He gets hurt and we fall to dead last everywhere. That should not happen to ANY team. But it shows just how dependent we have been on him over the years.

Reactions: 417

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
More importantly...the Bolts were already an elite team before Vas ever established himself.

He came to compliment everything they had...not the other way around.
It doesn't matter. We had every opportunity to assmeble a powherhouse. It was there for the taking. Jagr wanted to sign here for Pete's sake. Instead we got guys like Douglas Murray. That's just mindblowingly dumb.

Reactions: dinodebino and Seb

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Let's say Sakic offers Byram+1st and a player to Seattle for Price 40% retained.

Would you do it from Montreal? Byram, a 1st for 4M$ on the cap for the next 5 years?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It doesn't matter. We had every opportunity to assmeble a powherhouse. It was there for the taking. Jagr wanted to sign here for Pete's sake. Instead we got guys like Douglas Murray. That's just mindblowingly dumb.
Big difference adding Vas to a core that already has Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman etc

Vs adding a washed up Jagr...Habs never had anything approaching a team that could get to the Cup during Price tenure, Jagr would not have made a lick of difference.

It was always based on Price accomplishing miracles.

The GM got lazy for years because he thought that having Price was enough.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Let's say Sakic offers Byram+1st and a player to Seattle for Price 40% retained.

Would you do it from Montreal? Byram, a 1st for 4M$ on the cap for the next 5 years?

Would you do it from MTL? MTL has no say if Seattle picks him... and MTL gets nothing. Then it becomes if CP wants to lift his NMC again to go to COL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Damn Bergevin is playing the media to confuse the Kraken. He leaves 2 stars unprotected and then leaks out a bunch of medical issues to make the Kraken not pick them. He gets to protect Allen and Chiarot.

Possible?

Reactions: llamateizer

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Damn Bergevin is playing the media to confuse the Kraken. He leaves 2 stars unprotected and then leaks out a bunch of medical issues to make the Kraken not pick them. He gets to protect Allen and Chiarot.

Possible?
Would be quite the troll job, to be sure.

"From the Montreal Canadiens, the Kraken are proud to select, er, Paul Byron."

We understand Marc Bergevin is on the line, on location.

"Ronnie, you will love Pauly, he is a consummate pro, we wish him the best of luck, except when you are playing us (snickers)." Camera pans out to show Bergevin is deep in the BC wilderness, behind him Price And Weber are cutting down trees and are building a log cabin by hand.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Would be quite the troll job, to be sure.

"From the Montreal Canadiens, the Kraken are proud to select, er, Paul Byron."

We understand Marc Bergevin is on the line, on location.

"Ronnie, you will love Pauly, he is a consummate pro, we wish him the best of luck, except when you are playing us (snickers)." Camera pans out to show Bergevin is deep in the BC wilderness, behind him Price And Weber are cutting down trees and are building a log cabin by hand.

notworthy.gif

decaprio.gif

Reactions: dinodebino

Jul 6, 2016

Ultimately they lost.

And I'm all for it .

We're so goalie obsessed in this market...we've spent the entire hear convincing ourselves the Seattle Krakken absolutely want Jake Allen...I mean, how could they ever want anyone else.

Now in the last 48hrs...we've shifted that to Carey Price and have concluded that they are going to pick him for sure.

Even though there's more reasons that point to them NOT taking him.

losing an elite goalie for sweet nothing is super bad asset management.

Reactions: dinodebino
Apr 28, 2010

Possible?

ShyUnripeEarwig-size_restricted.gif

I thought it's the other way around? Aren't they left unprotected because of their injuries?

Boss move, imo. Hope MB's actually trolling the league. If this works out, I might just become a fan of his.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
At this point I'll be very surprised if they don't go with Vanecek / Kahkonen.

We keep saying that a team shouldn't build around a goalie but we're like ''yeah, Seattle should do it!''

Kinda ironic.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Big difference adding Vas to a core that already has Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman etc

Vs adding a washed up Jagr...Habs never had anything approaching a team that could get to the Cup during Price tenure, Jagr would not have made a lick of difference.

It was always based on Price accomplishing miracles.

The GM got lazy for years because he thought that having Price was enough.
I'm not saying we'd have been as good as Tampa. But we sure as f*** could've built a cup winner.

Reactions: dinodebino and 417

Jul 6, 2016
...The Maestro at work...

Price is the maestro. He found a very elegant way to leave Montreal and go to a new paradise for himself and his family, far far away from rabid MTL medias and Habs fans. MB fell in his trap. Like he fell in Aho's trap few years ago. If the expansion team was in Houston or Kansas City or Quebec, Price would not had raised his NMC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad