OT: Expansion Discussion

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
With only 10 players signed for next season, it is premature to list which players to protect. Hopefully for the Coyotes, there will be more opportunities to improve the roster and additional players would need to be protected.
How many players would be willing to become UFAs to avoid playing for an expansion team and then re-up after the draft?
Would LV be willing to take a draft pick if the Coyotes offer it to take a lesser player?

Yup. Waste of time speculating about the expansions draft.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Some important expansion draft details confirmed to teams
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/n...pansion-draft/

Quote:
Among the previously unreleased details being distributed, as told to Sportsnet by multiple sources, is an experience criteria attached to the players each team leaves unprotected. A minimum of two forwards and one defenceman must be exposed who have played 40 games the previous season, or a total of 70 over the previous two.

There is also a requirement that the 40/70 players are under contract for the first expansion season.

Quote:
Players holding no-movement clauses – including those modified by limited no-trades, such as Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury – count against the protection limit, provided that those contracts and clauses extend through the 2017-18 season.

However, players with no-movement clauses on deals that expire June 30, 2017 like Calgary Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman or Minnesota Wild forward Thomas Vanek wouldn't have to be protected for a draft that is likely to be held a week or two beforehand.

Teams will also be permitted to ask players to waive their no-movement clauses for inclusion in the expansion draft.
Quote:
There is expected to be a lot of roster jockeying in the leadup to the anticipated June 2017 draft as teams try to best position themselves for it. The rules dictate that any player traded away during that period can’t be reacquired until after Jan. 1 the following season.

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The only player I'm worried about on our end currently is Domingue. Who knows where we'll stand a year from now when the draft actually occurs.

Why are we worried? Smiths contract converts to NTC. Doesn't have to be protected.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I can't imagine LV would be interested in Smith unless he plays exceptionally well this season (which I doubt), especially considering the number of options that will be available. I'm guessing they'll go with a younger goalie with plenty of upside (a 1B) and possibly explore the UFA market for a #1 for their inaugural season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I can't imagine LV would be interested in Smith unless he plays exceptionally well this season (which I doubt), especially considering the number of options that will be available. I'm guessing they'll go with a younger goalie with plenty of upside (a 1B) and possibly explore the UFA market for a #1 for their inaugural season.

The point isn't that he gets claimed. It's so that Domingue can be protected.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Even if you're not sold, I can't see anynreason to protect Smith over Domingue. I don't think either would be picked, but you know they don't want Smith's contract.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Even if you're not sold, I can't see anynreason to protect Smith over Domingue. I don't think either would be picked, but you know they don't want Smith's contract.

Good point. I think that, more than anything else, we need to trade some of our young forward talent for a young top 5 goalie to take us through our playoff window.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Heh? Your goalie need only not actively harm the team and he's good enough. Penguins and Hawks only ever have passable goalies. Same goes for the Sharks last year. Kings have a good goalie but usually it doesn't matter much to the high-end teams. You certainly never want to have a goalie you pay a ton of money to. That rarely works out.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think that, more than anything else, we need to trade some of our young forward talent for a young top 5 goalie to take us through our playoff window.

Chayka said they want to use them as a tandem. That's the best what can happen to both of them. Hope they will keep their word.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The point isn't that he gets claimed. It's so that Domingue can be protected.

I agree, we definitely should try to protect Domingue, but I'm also thinking he'll be hoping to be traded (if we continue to play "The Inconsistent One"). I truly hope that we have at least a 60/40 (in Smith's favor) split between Smith and Domingue this season, but I would be fine with playing Domingue more than Smith as well.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Chayka said they want to use them as a tandem. That's the best what can happen to both of them. Hope they will keep their word.
I'd be happy with Smith getting 50 and Domingue getting 32. You know it's NOT going to be anywhere near 41 & 41.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Which goalie is exposed to Vegas is still up in the air. Obviously moving Smith's contract would be ideal, but what if he puts up 35 wins this year?

In any event, I think we could leave both exposed (we can't) and be safe as there will be 2 better goalies available.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Which goalie is exposed to Vegas is still up in the air. Obviously moving Smith's contract would be ideal, but what if he puts up 35 wins this year?

In any event, I think we could leave both exposed (we can't) and be safe as there will be 2 better goalies available.

If Smith has 35 wins, then you leave him exposed and hope they like that enough to take that contract. I don't think either would be picked either, but you have to protect one, so it'd be Domingue to protect, imo.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In that scenario, Domingue probably has about 10 wins. There's no chance they protect him over the starter who won 35. Especially with only 2 years left on his deal.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

If Domingue is exposed Vegas should take him and use him in a tandem. It's not about which goalie is the best in the draft, there might be many good UFA goalies availabe too, so drafting goalies is not really needed but they have to. Vegas should draft goalies when forwards and defender have less quality than on other teams. But Domingue is very good, he would be my favorite. Otherwise Vegas might draft Connauton/Schenn.

I wonder which forwards with 40/70 games played will be exposed.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Heh? Your goalie need only not actively harm the team and he's good enough. Penguins and Hawks only ever have passable goalies. Same goes for the Sharks last year. Kings have a good goalie but usually it doesn't matter much to the high-end teams. You certainly never want to have a goalie you pay a ton of money to. That rarely works out.

Assuming we have that kind of quality team in front of our defender. My guess is that our goalie will have to be the difference maker when it comes to playing teams of that kind of talent.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Outside of one outlier postseason, I haven't seen indications that Smith deserves 6M or is consistent enough to be that difference maker. Easy decision. Expose the expensive contract even if he has a great year, and hope that Vegas takes him.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
If Domingue is exposed Vegas should take him and use him in a tandem. It's not about which goalie is the best in the draft, there might be many good UFA goalies availabe too, so drafting goalies is not really needed but they have to. Vegas should draft goalies when forwards and defender have less quality than on other teams. But Domingue is very good, he would be my favorite. Otherwise Vegas might draft Connauton/Schenn.

I wonder which forwards with 40/70 games played will be exposed.

Probably Richardson and someone yet to be acquired. Otherwise Tip would have to insure Gaudet or someone else played the requisite number of games.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
In that scenario, Domingue probably has about 10 wins. There's no chance they protect him over the starter who won 35. Especially with only 2 years left on his deal.

I don't know if you're following salary cap era trends, but it's almost always better to shed the expensive contract and keep the RFA that's nearly as good or even better than the player with the big contract. All the side pluses of dumping Smith like his ****** attitude and inconsistency are just gravy.

For me, it's not even in doubt. If Domingue plays at or above the level he did last year, Smith will be exposed. Smith would have to put in a Vezina candidate quality season to avoid it. Whether he gets claimed is completely irrelevant to the team and the protection. It's all about protecting the younger, more valuable asset.

In other words, Smith is someone you can easily lose and not think twice about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad