Exodus of Islanders' college prospects

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It would really suck if we lose out on Cizikas, i think he may turn into a good 3rd line center. I think it's sort of liek a case with the Penguins a few years back though when they had alot of good second teir type guys and ended up letting Moulson go, it's just a case for the betterment of other guys you have to let somebody go.

This is exactly the situation. When you factor in young guys that already are on the team, and the prospect depth chart..... where does a guy like Kessel fit?

Andrew MacD
Travis Hamonic
Calvin de Haan
Matt Donovan

Are all easily ahead of him on the depth chart. This is just a product of the Islanders greatly improving on their crop of prospects over the last few years. It's nice to have depth, and it stinks losing any asset for nothing..... but thems the brakes. These kids have to make a living, and the Islanders can only ice so many players at a time.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Are all easily ahead of him on the depth chart. This is just a product of the Islanders greatly improving on their crop of prospects over the last few years. It's nice to have depth, and it stinks losing any asset for nothing..... but thems the brakes. These kids have to make a living, and the Islanders can only ice so many players at a time.

Yeah, the Kessel thing doesn't bother me at all. Donovan and De Haan are both puck-movers. We've got Streit and MacDonald on the big club (not to mention Hillen). It's a position of strength. We need tough/defensive guys on the back end. Kessel isn't that.

I'm not psyched about our wingers, however. I think Gregoire would be a real loss. Of course, if we land Landeskog or Huberdeau, I'll feel much better.

Cheers,

Dan-o

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
You have to be careful when dealing with college bound players. The same thing happened with Billy Sweatt. Luckily the Hawks learned their lesson and signed Jimmy Hayes before his junior year finished.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Yeah, the Kessel thing doesn't bother me at all. Donovan and De Haan are both puck-movers. We've got Streit and MacDonald on the big club (not to mention Hillen). It's a position of strength. We need tough/defensive guys on the back end. Kessel isn't that.

I'm not psyched about our wingers, however. I think Gregoire would be a real loss. Of course, if we land Landeskog or Huberdeau, I'll feel much better.

Cheers,

Dan-o

We've got plenty of depth on the LW, and Rhett Rakhshani is at least as good a prospect as Jason Gregoire. Then you have to factor in Nino, Petrov and Kabanov, as well as possibly whoever we draft in June.

Not to mention:
Grabner
Moulson
Okposo
Comeau

I take this as a good sign that the Islanders are making strides in improving the farm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad