Exodus of Islanders' college prospects

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Both Blake Kessel and Jason Gregoire are forgoing their senior seasons and turning pro. Neither has signed a contract with the Islanders and if they don't sign they become FAs after 30 days (this appears to be both of their intentions).

Both are not top tier prospects but they are certainly quality. As far as I know this hasn't happened since Wheeler exploited that loophole (is this true or has it happened since).

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2010-11/releases/20110524c29lo6

http://www.uscho.com/2011/05/18/gregoire-leaving-north-dakota-for-nhl-options/#ixzz1MlIXXLcq

Guys want to get paid, so you really can't blame em but its kind of frustrating to be going through this as an Islanders fan. Islanders have shown to be willing to sign college players early (Okposo, Donovan, Ness), so its anyone's guess whether or not Gregoire and Kessel were offered contracts early as well. I would think they would have wanted to sign both if they could.

Often times you think drafting through the college ranks allows you to have that prospect firmly under your control for 4 to 5 seasons. I think this is a nice little lesson to Garth and other GMs around the league: if you think your prospect is an NHL player in the future you sign him sooner rather than later because you want to have that absolute control.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yep, you're right about that. The Hawks do this all the time. It gets them to RFA quicker, but they're locked in with the organization.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Both Blake Kessel and Jason Gregoire are forgoing their senior seasons and turning pro. Neither has signed a contract with the Islanders and if they don't sign they become FAs after 30 days (this appears to be both of their intentions).

Both are not top tier prospects but they are certainly quality. As far as I know this hasn't happened since Wheeler exploited that loophole (is this true or has it happened since).

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mice/2010-11/releases/20110524c29lo6

http://www.uscho.com/2011/05/18/gregoire-leaving-north-dakota-for-nhl-options/#ixzz1MlIXXLcq

Guys want to get paid, so you really can't blame em but its kind of frustrating to be going through this as an Islanders fan. Islanders have shown to be willing to sign college players early (Okposo, Donovan, Ness), so its anyone's guess whether or not Gregoire and Kessel were offered contracts early as well. I would think they would have wanted to sign both if they could.

Often times you think drafting through the college ranks allows you to have that prospect firmly under your control for 4 to 5 seasons. I think this is a nice little lesson to Garth and other GMs around the league: if you think your prospect is an NHL player in the future you sign him sooner rather than later because you want to have that absolute control.

The player has a say in this.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It's a shame. As you said, neither are the best prospects in the pool but both are certainly good.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
The player has a say in this.

Obviously, which is why one can't really say whether or not Snow erred in this situation. For all we know he could have had an offer for both on the table for years.

But if a player is willing to sign I think its better to get him under your own control even if it is at the expense of "development" in the NCAA.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
I bet Blake Kessel will sign with the leafs if he doesn't sign with the islanders. I'd certainly welcome any prospect that would sign in Toronto a their first choice.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
Honestly this is a BS rule and its sad to see the Islanders get hit by it twice in a week. Not that either is a prospect of the caliber that will severly hurt the organization but still, the isles used picks, time and energy on them. Similar to an RFA, if a guy wants to leave school early and his drafting team makes him a "qualifying offer" he shouldn't be allowed to leave as a UFA. If the isles wanted to pass signing a guy then they can be a UFA.

Here is another point to think about. If this becomes predominant, it will encourage teams to press kids to leave school without finishing their degree (so as not to let a kid get to 4 years post draft). Not that they all would stay but teams shouldnt be put in a situation where there is a loophole that makes it even more urgent for them to lure kids out of college. Prospects of the caliber of Gregoire and Kessel would not be hurt by a degree or 1 more year in the NCAA.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I would much rather my teams prospects play junior rather than college (strictly from a selfish point of view. The college route is often better for many players in the end.)

College players come into the league more mature than juniors but in many cases not at all ready to deal with the rigors of a long sched, travel etc. Not to mention some college leagues are just not that great.

After the Oilers experience with Riley Nash I'd be happy if they don't go after college guys in the future, certainly not in the early rounds.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Garth Snow thought these guys were that important, he would have had them signed.

We've already got a better all around Jason Gregoire in Rhett Rakhshani. It sucks losing a commodity for nothing, but Jason Gregoire isn't exactly one of the Isles top prospects. Ditto Blake Kessel.

When your prospect cupboard fills out, these things tend to happen. Maybe Garth Snow advised their agent he had no intention of signing them? We have no idea.

Expect to see more exodus..... I don't see guys like Joensuu sticking around either.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
When the Wheeler situation happened, we were told that the "loophole" he used was closed.

So I've been under the impression that players can't just leave college and become a free agent unless they complete all four years.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
When the Wheeler situation happened, we were told that the "loophole" he used was closed.

So I've been under the impression that players can't just leave college and become a free agent unless they complete all four years.

Apparently its just 4 years since they were drafted, so the clock started right away even though both Gregoire and Kessel first played USHL hockey.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yes, I was just reading through that part in the CBA and you seem to be right. Seems strange the CBA would allow it, but if they can, why not, I guess. Doubt there would be a whole lot of interest in them.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
If Garth Snow thought these guys were that important, he would have had them signed.
We've already got a better all around Jason Gregoire in Rhett Rakhshani. It sucks losing a commodity for nothing, but Jason Gregoire isn't exactly one of the Isles top prospects. Ditto Blake Kessel.

When your prospect cupboard fills out, these things tend to happen. Maybe Garth Snow advised their agent he had no intention of signing them? We have no idea.

Expect to see more exodus..... I don't see guys like Joensuu sticking around either.

The players have to put the pen to paper.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think this is the case of having so many picks between 2006-2008, that the Islanders are sort of being cautionary which guys to sign or not and felt that another year in College for both Gregoire and Kessel could make their(ie the Islanders) choices easier.

Don't blame either guy for taking advantage of the rule. All that being said I much rather signed Kessel then Ness(who we just signed a couple months ago out of college) since most or defensemen prospects(De Haan, Donovan and Ness) lack the size Kessel has, but I am guessing of the 2 guys who taking advantage of the rule Gregoire has a much better chance making an impact in the NHL(as a 2nd or 3rd liner). All that being said both guys probably need 1 if not 2 years in the AHL so I am not sure what kind of deals either will sign.

Last edited:

Pyke*

Don't the Islanders get compensatory picks, or did they get rid of that?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Doubt there would be a whole lot of interest in them.

I think there will be a fair amount of interest in both. Both have good enough size and put up real good numbers in their NCAA time. Definitely tier II prospects but solid nonetheless.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Yes, I was just reading through that part in the CBA and you seem to be right. Seems strange the CBA would allow it, but if they can, why not, I guess. Doubt there would be a whole lot of interest in them.

There's tons of interest in UFA college prospects every year at ages 23-24, so I don't see why there wouldn't be for drafted players who become UFAs at ages 21-22.

I can see the Maple Leafs being interested in both players to be honest. Kessel's brother fits in with what the Maple Leafs system lacks (and the whole brother connection), and I'm sure they saw a ton of Gregoire when watching Frattin this year.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
What this shows is that stockpiling picks is a dubious strategy in today's climate. 3rd and 4th round picks just aren't worth that much. Projects that work out want 1st round money and the chance to play immediately, or free agency.

I think we're seeing this with the Isles just because we happened to stockpile those picks. Last year, we signed Hamonic (2nd), Donovan (4th), Rhakshani (4th), Ness (2nd), and Ullstrom (4th). That's adding to a bunch of young players locked up in the organization (Tavares, Bailey, Grabner, Moulson, MacDonald). Next year we'll be adding De Haan, and Niederreiter to the organization (both already signed), and, hopefully, Casey Cizikas. That's not to mention a top-5 pick who may (if Landeskog or Couturier) or may not enter the organization.

That's a crowded crew. We need more players, yeah, but what we need are veterans. Not young guys who want to play in the NHL right away. The org's focus next year will be integrating Niederreiter, De Haan, and #5 overall. Young players, and their agents aren't stupid. There are greener pastures elsewhere.

It's too bad, because I am high on Gregoire. But it's not the worst kind of problem.

Cheers,

Dan-o

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Next year we'll be adding De Haan, and Niederreiter to the organization (both already signed), and, hopefully, Casey Cizikas.

It would really suck if we lose out on Cizikas, i think he may turn into a good 3rd line center. I think it's sort of liek a case with the Penguins a few years back though when they had alot of good second teir type guys and ended up letting Moulson go, it's just a case for the betterment of other guys you have to let somebody go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->