Ex-Rangers on TB Proving AV Was at Fault in NY

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I would have posted this on NY's Boards, but as fans league-wide are quick to crap on the value of Ranger players, I thought it was appropriate, the night after a guy (Girardi) that was pretty much considered a dying mule, scored the winning goal in OT. Some Ranger fans said "some" of it was the coach...

Watching the ex-Rangers play under a smart coach with a system that actually works, shows that even without a superstar other than the goalie, the Ranger teams of the past 8 years probably underperformed, with nothing to show in large part because of the coaching.

AV is not the worst, but he makes mind-boggling decisions, unable to adjust in-game and just can't let young players grow.

Fair warning to AV's next team and some vindication for the players that suffered under his brutal rule

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Hmm you mean surrounding average to sub-average players with superstar players will make them look better?

This is truly enlightening.

Edit: Almost 40 likes? First, I'd like to thank the academy for this opportunity...

Last edited:

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Miller, I'll give you. Guy's playing well right now, he murdered the Devils.

McD, currently, is average imo. But I don't claim to be an expert here by any means.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think it really say that. AV has had a lot of consistent success in this league. He took two different organizations to cup finals. He might not be the best coach in the world but he is a fairly good hockey coach. The next team that gets him should probably be happy, they have to hope he can find a way to lead a team to that last step and win the Stanley Cup. I would be happy if the Wings wound up with him at some point, he plays entertaining offensive hockey with a lot of pace and generally wins.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I don't think it really say that. AV has had a lot of consistent success in this league. He took two different organizations to cup finals. He might not be the best coach in the world but he is a fairly good hockey coach. The next team that gets him should probably be happy, they have to hope he can find a way to lead a team to that last step and win the Stanley Cup. I would be happy if the Wings wound up with him at some point, he plays entertaining offensive hockey with a lot of pace and generally wins.
Vigneault was primarily fired because he can't improve a team, he can only run with the team he's dealt. He stepped in both Vancouver and NYR where the core was already built. You sure get entertaining hockey if Vigneault is a coach, the only problem is the opponent fans will probably be more entertained than you are. Expect a 2 hour highlight reel of all the goals the team allows on the weak side, from a totally open opponent right in the slot.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Apples to oranges. The talent of those old Ranger teams cannot be compared to the Lightning teams of the same era. If we could somehow use time travel and cloning to put this year's Lightning team against the Ranger team of 2014-2015 (arguably their best team of the era) and they would lose in 5 or 6 games rather than the 7 it took in the 2014-2015 playoffs. This Lightning team is simply better than the one we had at the time and it's better than any of the Ranger teams of tat era. We have more speed and scoring depth whereas the Rangers had a few studs that could score consistently but it was balanced by strong goaltending, defense and forwards who could shut down the opposition long enough for any of the depth players to finally kick in. They were remarkably consistent. Brassard, Kreider, Hagelin... not household names but if you gave them long enough they WOULD burn you.

They didn't lose to us because of AV, they lost because Steve Yzerman simply built a perfect storm almost overnight. Try not to forget he acquired 3 of our top 4 D in Stralman, Garrison and Coburn between the previous summer's free agency and then the TDL along with Brian Boyle -who at the time was arguably the best 4C in the game. And this was on top of an already incredibly talented lineup finally figuring out how to win consistently.

If we're gonna blame AV, don't blame him for losing to the Kings and Lightning, blame him for the Ottawa series.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
McDonagh still being run out there against the opponents top line. Not necessarily any easier.
Girardi being utilized properly is still a decent NHL defenseman.
If anyone is the beneficiary of being surrounded by good players its Miller.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yup, it certainly helped Tampa that the moronic Rangers gave Strålman away for free, then traded BOTH McDonagh and Miller away for peanuts. Girardi has fitted in nicely in a diminished role in a defensive strategy more up to his qualities. NYR didn't need have to have a firesale, it would've been enough to sack Vigneault.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Yeah playing with Hedman and Stralman has nothing to do with Girardi and McD looking better. It's all them and coaching, good call.
Considering you more than likely never watched either on a consistent basis, its curious that you feel confident in your opinion.
I get it, your a Devils fan and you don't like the Rangers, but lets try to keep it in the lane you feel comfortable in.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Vigneault was primarily fired because he can't improve a team, he can only run with the team he's dealt. He stepped in both Vancouver and NYR where the core was already built. You sure get entertaining hockey if Vigneault is a coach, the only problem is the opponent fans will probably be more entertained than you are. Expect a 2 hour highlight reel of all the goals the team allows on the weak side, from a totally open opponent right in the slot.

Aside from the fact that he did improve the Rangers, albeit temporarily.

The guy can't make a deficient roster overwhelmingly better, but he can get the most out of a complete roster.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Girardi's goal aside, this Tampa roster has more talent than any NYR roster AV was given in his time there.

I think AV is a decent coach, however I will agree he seems very slow to make adjustments in a league where adjustments must constantly be made.

He did take you guys to a Final.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Girardi's goal aside, this Tampa roster has more talent than any NYR roster AV was given in his time there.

I don't know if I agree with that, with all due respect. Yes, the Rangers didn't have a guy of Stamkos or Kucherov's level, but they had some pretty stacked teams from top to bottom.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I think AV is a decent coach, however I will agree he seems very slow to make adjustments in a league where adjustments must constantly be made.

He did take you guys to a Final.

Girardi and Staal were still great shutdown players at the time. Stralman was a beast. McDonagh had his best season. Can't forget Lundqvist and Talbot tandem. That was a prime Rangers team, and AV still had them start the season badly and allow 15 goals in a span of two games in California.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
No, the rangers just lacked any actual high end talent despite their fan base overrating multiple 50-60 point players (zibinajed Kreider, Hayes, Stepan, brassard ,Callahan) the list goes on but it’s not AVs fault that the teams fan base had too high of expecatations for good second line players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad