GDT: [EX GM 1 and 2] Canucks @ / vs Calgary | 4:00PM / 5:00PM

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Waste of time to critique the NHL vets that aren't in jeopardy at this stage imo

What is noteworthy is how incredible EP40 looks and Podkolzin is gonna be a huge piece. Have to agree about Kuz EP40 Pod line.

Michayev should be either with Horvat in a match up game or as the chaser net presence and defense for Miller Boeser which is my preference I think...well have to see how much of a plug he is 1st I guess

Kuzmenko looks legit. It's gonna be a marathon for him though...see how he handles the minutes. He's gonna force someone out making big money at the wings me thinks if he can find a suitable work ethic

Rathbone needs to do way better getting passes through .

Kalynuk after a disastrous start had some nice puck mover abilities and skates well. Intrigued.

he reminds me a bit of the kid from Chicago we got on waivers way back Ryan Stanton.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
ilya mikheyev took a nasty fall/hit from a flames player early on. damn injury to the newest free agent already

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Waste of time to critique the NHL vets that aren't in jeopardy at this stage imo

What is noteworthy is how incredible EP40 looks and Podkolzin is gonna be a huge piece. Have to agree about Kuz EP40 Pod line.

Michayev should be either with Horvat in a match up game or as the chaser net presence and defense for Miller Boeser which is my preference I think...well have to see how much of a plug he is 1st I guess

Kuzmenko looks legit. It's gonna be a marathon for him though...see how he handles the minutes. He's gonna force someone out making big money at the wings me thinks if he can find a suitable work ethic

Rathbone needs to do way better getting passes through .

Kalynuk after a disastrous start had some nice puck mover abilities and skates well. Intrigued.

he reminds me a bit of the kid from Chicago we got on waivers way back Ryan Stanton.
Stanton was a much more physical player. He was genuinely good for us the two seasons he played. Like a good 6-8 guy. I have no idea why he never played more in the NHL after that.

We had much worse defensemen throughout that tenure than Stanton.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Stanton was a much more physical player. He was genuinely good for us the two seasons he played. Like a good 6-8 guy. I have no idea why he never played more in the NHL after that.

We had much worse defensemen throughout that tenure than Stanton.

Stanton's career was basically ended by the previous regime's insistence on playing the substantially inferior Sbisa over him.

Like you, I don't know why he never got another shot. There are a lot of guys competing for 6-7 roles and sometimes you need to be right place/right time. He made a bad decision signing for a deep Washington team when he left here - the same blueline that Nate Schmidt was often the #7 guy on - and ended up in the AHL and suddenly he's 27 and still a regular AHLer. He was definitely a quality #6 in his two years here.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
One thing I will say - while I am a firm believer in not evaluating veterans in preseason (except if it’s related to lost footspeed), the one thing that was a bit noticeable was Garland looking like shit on the PP.

Feel like that’s a continuation of what I remember from last year. And that’s fine. He isn’t paid to be an effective PP guy.

I wonder who they use as the second guy in the middle on PP2.

I would assume Mikheyev demanded PP2 time, but the problem is that Pearson plays that net front role already - and he’s good at it.

Kuzmenko definitely will be on there. One of OEL/Rathbone will be there as well.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
One thing I will say - while I am a firm believer in not evaluating veterans in preseason (except if it’s related to lost footspeed), the one thing that was a bit noticeable was Garland looking like shit on the PP.

Feel like that’s a continuation of what I remember from last year. And that’s fine. He isn’t paid to be an effective PP guy.

I wonder who they use as the second guy in the middle on PP2.

I would assume Mikheyev demanded PP2 time, but the problem is that Pearson plays that net front role already - and he’s good at it.

Kuzmenko definitely will be on there. One of OEL/Rathbone will be there as well.
i don't care for connor garland

he has the stench of the oel contract all over him and also displeasing to me is his oddball style

i can envision him receiving a beautiful cross seam pass on the pp and instead of laughing it into an open net he turns his back and starts puck protecting waiting for the perfect spinning no look backhand

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Garland Miller Boeser
Kuzmenko Petey Podkolzin
Pearson Horvat Mikheyev/Hoglander

It makes too much sense which is why we won’t see it

Kuzmenko makes a lot of sense on PP1 in front of the net / rovering behind it too. His playmaking is elite and probably is a better fit there than Boeser.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Horvat is very overrated defensively. He shouldn’t PK imo. He’s very good at face offs and has some offensive goal scoring but that’s about it. His speed makes him bad defensively and slow to get to plays sometimes. I’d be concerned with a 8 year deal and his foot speed as he ages.

An 8 year contract for Bo Horvat would be an obvious mistake from the get-go. Similar to the stupid Loui Eriksson deal. I really hope this management group doesn't make this error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad