Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What do you think about a Backes for Turris trade?

Nashville has been trying to trade him but no takers. Has 4 years left after this one, but that contract isn't buyout proof. Even dollars for Nashville, but they get out of the deal 4 years earlier. Been a healthy scratch the last 3 or 4 games.

Could play third line center and allows Coyle to play 2 RW.
I think Turris is finished. Not Bruin material even if hes not.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Joe McDonald said on the most recent Perfection Podcast that Dallas was the only team in the league that would take Seguin, so getting Ericsson back was pretty good considering.

I've never heard that before and find it very hard to believe.

Anyone know?
Never heard that either.

But I did here nobody was willing to part with much for him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I guess my point... and most of us that are not happy with this type of player... is never a question of their talent...

its like peter klima not playing for 19 hours and then getting a chance in the 14th ot period and scoring a goal.

talent will have its highlight moments. talent will impress and leave you thinking theres more there to be had

but losing follows these guys around. you say kessel put together a good playoff and could have won a con smyth... thats because he had 20-30 highlights... sure... ok...

but what did he do in Toronto? what will he do in Arizona? and why was Pittsburgh so happy to let him go? you want to focus on the 20 games where he gave a damn? do you forget when his coach in Toronto says he wont check enough to play center? how he tells the reporter the day Toronto gets eliminated from playoffs that hes going fishing? or how the assistant coach says he wants to run new drills in camp and kessel says no, im not running new drills

this guy is a HORRIBLE LEADER...

if you got a team with 4-5 real leaders you can carry him I guess... but hes damn expensive for being a 3rd liner. if you dont have a deep enough team to hide him, then you will be in trouble

jurys out... will he be better in Arizona?

I think joe thornton has redeamed himself somewhat as he got older. he sucked when we dealt him. but as his career wound down you could tell he wanted to play on a winner.

its always possible for guys to improve with age.

steve yzerman has poems and songs written about how he changed. some guys never seem to change. we can all probably agree on a few dozen superstar players we just wouldnt want on our team. guys can score 100 points and still suck.

its always ok to have a guy like that on your team provided that hes not your leadership. a lot of great teams hid and covered up for a player like this. having some high end talent on a 3rd line is usually a good thing.

but having your best player or second best player be a loser... is never good
True enough. Thats why Kessel was a good fit on Pitt where the best players were Sid, Malkin, Letang, Fluery, and Murray. When Phil Kessel is you 5th or 6th best player and your third line sniper........you can win a cup.....or two.

Kessel scored 40 in Toronto and they won nothing. Tell me a top leaf you cant say that about.

Phil is Phil , yet Pitt does win that 016 Cup without him.

Seguin? Asshole with high skill set.

Smokin Joe Thorton. A great quiet leader who could not take his game in Boston to where he did take it to in San Jose. Funny how big, tall, lanky guys game takes longer to peak. I still remember being very surprsied when the Bruins traded him.

Wheeler was in hindsight, a tough one for Bruins to lose.

Hamilton finally became the Norris trophy caliber D he was projected to be coming out of junior.

Under the category of "should have been a Bruin" - Chris Pronger.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Different culture and lack of banking, checks were not a thing here and it was a cash economy. I'll share a funny story; when I started working in Russia, I took 80% of my salary in dollars (not allowed by law) and 20% in roubles for everyday expenses. I used to go to one room for roubles that had windows on three sides so everyone could see. Then go to a different room with no windows to collect my dollars. Nowadays, most people I know have direct deposit, but salaries in cash are still common. Not sure about players, I would guess for rich teams they would direct deposit and poor teams via brown paper bags.

As for KGB, or FSB as they are now; any state owned company have a few of those guys working there to keep an eye on things. Most KHL teams are sponsored by state companies, so there will be some overlap. Some teams like Dynamo, CSKA, SKA etc are directly tied to government departments.
Great post.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
not an ex bruin... but I just saw that yesterday is the anniversary of our 70 shot night against ron tugnett. still an alltime record for shots in a 60 min game. I was a much younger pup when that game happened... but I had my big old 10foot cband satalite dish out here in western Canada and watched it happen.

you youngins might say we make backup goalies look like vezina winners too frequently these days, but imagine watching 70 shots and ron freaking tugnett and only getting 3 goals

seems I remember hearing bourque had like 11 or 19 shots himself that night... cant remember the exact number but bourque is pretty much the most accurate shooter in history and when even he cant put in another goal with that many shots you know tugnett was having the game of the century against us.
Remember it well. Neely gave him the pads tap after the game.

Could have let in 20 and still made 50 saves.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It could also be the system

Cassidy is all about the system and covering for your teammates/D etc

Vs Wild its more man on man

The way things are moving the Bruins should have received a draft pick along with Coyle
Coyle scored 9 play off goals and big ones too boot.

Bruins still at the moment winning this trade hands down.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Acciari hat tricks thing really is amazing.

I can’t think of anything I’ve seen in the past in this league that really compares to two hat tricks in two consecutive games by a fourth line player.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I can’t think of anything I’ve seen in the past in this league that really compares to two hat tricks in two consecutive games by a fourth line player.

Those Stastny brothers though... :eek:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Miss him but i have to admit I'm a little surprised at his success. Good for him.

If you watch his second hat trick...there’s a lot of luck/right place, right time going on.

Reminds me a little of the Jimmy Hayes hat trick.

Really not trying to criticize Acciari. Good for him. Really liked him when he was here. But, it is just one of those things where the stars all align.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I don’t recall anyone really missing Acciari when he left.
Just speaking for myself, I still had raw emotions concerning the Bruins when Acciari signed with Florida July 1, as the Game 7 debacle was still lingering.

I didn't post a lot about free agency as I was taking a post-Stanley Cup breather.

I was happy for him getting $5 million, but sad to see him go. That fourth line was a factor in every game and Cassidy trusted them in every situation. I also enjoyed mic'd opposing players on Behind the B praising how hard Acciari hit.

I didn't like how he was the whipping boy on this board for so long, but to their credit, most posters bashing him ceased as his play improved.

The back-to-back hatties make me wistful, as the two things the B's need the most are depth scoring and more physicality. And from all accounts the AAV for Acciari that Florida paid that the B's couldn't or wouldn't, is less than $1 million.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think I said it here that N Acciari would, at this stage of season, be on pace for 30 goals. Well,....... except for the fact that I didn’t. :laugh:

Seriously, good for NA.

I was in all seriousness sorry to see him go. I liked our 4th line, but it is what it is. I can definitely understand having to let him walk. I think Kuraly struggles without him this season. NA made for a lot of room with his hitting and aggressive forecheck game.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I think I said it here that N Acciari would, at this stage of season, be on pace for 30 goals. Well,....... except for the fact that I didn’t. :laugh:

Seriously, good for NA.

I was in all seriousness sorry to see him go. I liked our 4th line, but it is what it is. I can definitely understand having to let him walk. I think Kuraly struggles without him this season. NA made for a lot of room with his hitting and aggressive forecheck game.

But doesn't Chris Wagner provide the exact same thing, with better skating? Why keep two nearly identical players? I can understand why Boston chose to let Acciari walk.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
But doesn't Chris Wagner provide the exact same thing, with better skating? Why keep two nearly identical players? I can understand why Boston chose to let Acciari walk.
I agree and said that I understood why we had to let him walk. My only point is our 4th line, to me, is missing the impact of last year and certainly that of the Merlot line. Perhaps it’s Acciari, perhaps it’s something else.

Reactions: Estlin

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Wow, three former Bruins playing in the Panthers top 6, we sure can use one of them. :sarcasm:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Actually Acciari is currently playing on the Panthers' 2nd line. This gives him more TOI, more offensive potential and expectation, and gives him high-quality linemates in Huberdeau and Trocheck. So he's now playing with guys who have previously recorded 75+ point seasons, and Huberdeau in particular is a superb hockey player. This isn't to put down what Acciari has achieved in any way, it's more to point out that he ain't no 4th liner anymore - he's earned promotion and he's seriously making the most of it. It's hugely impressive and, while of course he won't maintain his current personal rate of scoring, he's part of a line that's buzzing and gelling together really well, so he has a chance to really solidify a top 6 or at least top 9 role. Good for him.

I for one was really sorry to see him leave the Bruins, and I've said that on here before. He gave everything he had every single time he stepped on to the ice, seems to just be a lovely guy, and was a key component of what was at the time the best 4th line in the league, or close to it. However I understood why Sweeney was unwilling to match Florida's offer, and why Acciari took it because the Panthers were guaranteeing him a regular spot in the lineup and more responsibility, while in Boston he would constantly be competing with Nordy, Wags, Kuraly and upcoming prospects for game-time. I still think Don should perhaps have tried harder to retain him, and I think the team misses him maybe more than they thought they would, but sometimes you have to accept that a guy is going to leave and there's not much to be done about it, even if you'd rather keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad