Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
price tag is a lil high, personally would like a Sokolov or Abramov in the second line RW Russian spot. However it isn't a bobby ryan and wont lose much sleep about him.

Reactions: ColinM

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Very average player. Have not seen much to capture my interest. +1 on the overpaid

For a Russian he is not a cycle player at all. Very disappointing. Abramov is much better in this department. Without a strong cycle game can not win any rounds of playoffs in the NHL right now. Dadonov needs a very good centre to do all the work for him. It tells me, Dorion has no idea what he is doing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For a Russian he is not a cycle player at all. Very disappointing. Abramov is much better in this department. Without a strong cycle game can not win any rounds of playoffs in the NHL right now. Dadonov needs a very good centre to do all the work for him. It tells me, Dorion has no idea what he is doing.
Playing with Barkov and Huberdeau ... that's like >>> than playing with Mark Stone. I think you are right on Dorion.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Whites most creative play had been dumping it in to Dadonov’s corner - sometimes against DMAN like Stanley expecting Dadonov to generate some sort of offensive off that matchup. #freedadonov

Reactions: DylanSensFan

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Or its the best player that would agree to play in Ottawa.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Loses too many 1-1 battles n the corners and boards. I know he’s small but com’on

that alone makes me not like him

You're right about that

I haven't watched a ton of Florida games. Basically when they play Ottawa and that's it. So I wonder about roles on a line. Were Huberdeau and Barkov fighting those corner battles with Dandonov in the slot waiting for the one timer?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The first page of this thread is all we need to read to know the general consensus over this signing at the time.

Oh ya … everyone should reread this before they criticize any Dadonov move (as everyone scrambles to edit/delete their post).

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Let's see all the people trashing Dorion for signing Dadonov to that contract.

I liked it even though it hasn't worked out. I'm also not sure about trying to move them but maybe that's the way it's being framed in the media combined with the history of this organization trying to pinch every penny.

I'd rather we keep some veteran older players on the team even if it's a guy like Dadanov or Tierney. I really do believe part of the problem experienced by say Edmonton for example was that they moved on way too quickly to youth and got rid of older players who could set an example day in and day out.

Reactions: MarkStone

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I could post this in several threads...

Any player evaluation this year has to be taken with a big grain of salt, or least for now until coaching (and personnel decisions) is fixed. Dorion has made some counter-productive moves to the team. The intention was there but just a bad miscalculation on the quantity of "veterans" needed, particularly when none of them are above average for the role they have to play in Ottawa. Several are actually below average for those roles. You can't expect to have several players to prove they can do well outside of their usual "comfort zone"

Losing Balcers and almost losing Chlapik/Jaros (even if none of them are "blue chippers") for guys like Ansimov, Stepan, Paquette (who doesn't want to be here), Coburn, Reilly. Brown was very short sighted. DJ Dorion seems so stubborn on targeting specific guys, go out of his way to pay assets to get them (and/or diminish/waste other assets in the process/as a result) but in the end, they're nothing special and makes you wonder why we simply didn't go with cheaper solutions instead (like the ton of prospects we had)

Coaching needs to be fixed and roster decisions have to be different. Puck movement, mobility, skating, skill, IQ, etc over "toughness", "intensity" and CCF/60

Tkachuk-Brown-Dadonov
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Paul-White-Brown
Formenton-Tierney-Watson
Galchenyuk/Chlapik

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Zub
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Brown

- Tkachuk draws massive attention, creates havoc in front of the net, allowing Brown Daddy to make skilled plays as they have more space and time.
- The Deluxe kid line. Great speed, skill, IQ, shot, playmaking... Everything is there, just need to materialize it. You're saying inexperience? lol how has experience worked for us so far?
- I love this line. They can give headaches to any line by pushing the play forward.
- Competent 4th line, Forms gets experience and will move up eventually. He could be a serious threat on a 4th line and the way he brings pucks to the net can allow Watson/Tierney to score goals, pretty much like Swarz in Belleville last year.

- Chabot-Zaitsev, no choice as we have no one else capable of playing these minutes
- Brannstrom, his skating/speed/hockey smarts alone makes him much better and safer than Mike Reilly. As soon as he is healthy enough, he should be in the lineup over him, this is a NO BRAINER. Zub is another smart D-man who can move the puck and be steady. He has a lot of pro experience (KHL). A few games and that pairing who be a MASSIVE upgrade on what we have seen so far.
- Gudbranson in that spot he can be useful. Provides size, grit, experience to Wolanin, allowing him to find his game and shake off the massive rust.

I really doubt we'll see that kind of lineup but I'm basing it on ability and potential growth. I don't care about immediate results but I'm looking to go somewhere. If anyone wants to argue that's what we are doing right now, lol go for it.

Trade Stepan, Anisimov, Paquette, Coburn, Reilly if possible. If not, put them on taxi.

I wonder if this post would be contested today as much as it was back then? (not necessarily the post but my whole narrative on the roster decisions that were made)

And on Dadonov, if he's still here, might as well use him to get some production out of him. Might not "fit" the way the team plays but I don't know... find a way

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wonder if this post would be contested today as much as it was back then? (not necessarily the post but my whole narrative on the roster decisions that were made)

And on Dadonov, if he's still here, might as well use him to get some production out of him. Might not "fit" the way the team plays but I don't know... find a way

I don't see how he fits in though and that's the issue. He's the type of guy that lets the play come to him rather than making plays. We don't have a lot of players who can feed him tap ins from the front of the net and Batherson/Brown are just better options both in terms of offense and especially on the defensive side of things for Brown.

I feel like we will find a way to deal him but if we dont they will probably "force" him on the 2nd line to the detriment of the team. He's not a great fit on the 3rd line so it's really dissapointing seeing how it turned out only 1 year into his deal.

Murray also very average. Last offseason looked decent from a distance but really they were risky moves and they didnt pay off.

Stepan
Murray
Dadonov
Gudbranson

Only Watson has provided positive value. Hoping Dorion has learned fromt this.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
If it was up to me, I'd give him another shot as I think he can bounce back, but his salary only goes up from here and that's a big no-no for the Sens.

His contract is hardly crippling.

Count me in as still liking the player. I have zero issues with keeping him in the lineup and would love to see him play a full non Covid effected season for us. He only has 2 years left, his short contract shouldn't be an issue.
I'd also be ok with giving him another shot. I dont think he's as bad as some people think and could bounce back. His contract sucks for a budget team though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If they can't trade Dadonov during this summer I assume he will end up on the 3rd line RW again. By the end of this coming season if again they are unable to trade him at the deadline I assume the following yr he becomes a 13th forward similar to Anisimov & Sokolov should be ready to take his job on the 3rd line.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd also be ok with giving him another shot. I dont think he's as bad as some people think and could bounce back. His contract sucks for a budget team though.

We are going to give him another shot unless they are willing to accept a very soft return . Escalating contract. Declining player that really does not offer much. Would much rather have a good grinder for a lot less money.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If they can't trade Dadonov during this summer I assume he will end up on the 3rd line RW again. By the end of this coming season if again they are unable to trade him at the deadline I assume the following yr he becomes a 13th forward similar to Anisimov & Sokolov should be ready to take his job on the 3rd line.

In 22-23 Dadonov will be owed $6.5M in salary.
Last year, Anisimov made $1.5M in salary and had a $1.5M bonus.
The year before, Boedker made $3M in salary.

Those guys were easier to stomach as utility forwards.

This would be a much tougher conversation with Mr.Melnyk.

Depending on how Matt Murray does, he realistically could be paying him and Dadonov a combined $13.5M to sit on the bench most nights.

Let's hope they both recover.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's way premature to be talking about what might happen in 22/23, but if Dadonov doesn't bounce back a bit this season then you have to buy him out. Can't have a guy collecting 6.5M to be your 13th forward, that's nuts.

Put 2.2M back in your pocket and move on.

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's way premature to be talking about what might happen in 22/23, but if Dadonov doesn't bounce back a bit this season then you have to buy him out. Can't have a guy collecting 6.5M to be your 13th forward, that's nuts.

Put 2.2M back in your pocket and move on.

I would bet on there being no bounce back. Not much giddy in his giddy-up left.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
It was so glaringly obvious that he was a product of his line in Florida. Not shocking that he's not good here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad