Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Anthony Duclair doesn't win you hockey games, it's that simple. Don't know why it's so complicated. He was coming off 23G and 40P last year in 66 games and signed for less than $2 million when everyone else who scored 20+ last year is locked in for term and above $3.5 million per year. Anyone wanna put 1+1 together?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This team has all the cap in the world the cost is irrelevant.
Duclair was given a choice and chose to play for scraps instead of playing in Ottawa he can F right off.
Remember how many points Dado got on the same team? It’s almost like other people can help get you points.

I remember mostly what both guys did on this team because that's the only thing relevant to the Ottawa Senators. We don't have a Huberdeau or a Barkov. Also I have no clue what you're talking about because Duclair produced as much last year as he does this year and last year he was playing with the Ottawa Senators with Brady Tkachuk and JG Pageau so it's not like his production is attributable to playing in Florida at all. If Duclair was able to produce here and is still able to do it in Florida, while Dadonov is a passenger every game here .. but hey at least he was good in Florida right? I don't care what Dadonov did in Florida if he can't do it here. Unfortunately he's paid for the player that he was in Florida, but he is not that player here at all. We don't have the Eastern conference all-star team by his side to feed him tap ins from the slot. In Ottawa he has to drive the play to get scoring chances and he's unable to do that quite simply.

And the cost is relevant. You're mixing up cap and salary, we have an internal budget which means that 5M allocated to Dadonov is 5M that's not allocated somewhere else on the team. We don't care about the cap, that you are right about, but the cost has always been an issue with this franchise. We have a lineup right now that could have a useful 5M player instead of a guy that doesn't fit on any line for another 2 seasons. We are a budget team with a guy that can't do much that's getting paid 5M a season and because of that we have a hole on the top 6 RW that needs to be filled and 5M $ less to spend on the on-ice product.

Anyways let's hope Seattle takes him so we can take that money and allocate it to players that make a difference on this team. We have to re-sign Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Zub, Paul, Formenton and Brannstrom in the next 2 seasons and could use some help on defense.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I remember mostly what both guys did on this team because that's the only thing relevant to the Ottawa Senators. We don't have a Huberdeau or a Barkov. Also I have no clue what you're talking about because Duclair produced as much last year as he does this year and last year he was playing with the Ottawa Senators with Brady Tkachuk and JG Pageau so it's not like his production is attributable to playing in Florida at all. If Duclair was able to produce here and is still able to do it in Florida, while Dadonov is a passenger every game here .. but hey at least he was good in Florida right? I don't care what Dadonov did in Florida if he can't do it here. Unfortunately he's paid for the player that he was in Florida, but he is not that player here at all. We don't have the Eastern conference all-star team by his side to feed him tap ins from the slot. In Ottawa he has to drive the play to get scoring chances and he's unable to do that quite simply.

And the cost is relevant. You're mixing up cap and salary, we have an internal budget which means that 5M allocated to Dadonov is 5M that's not allocated somewhere else on the team. We don't care about the cap, that you are right about, but the cost has always been an issue with this franchise. We have a lineup right now that could have a useful 5M player instead of a guy that doesn't fit on any line for another 2 seasons. We are a budget team with a guy that can't do much that's getting paid 5M a season and because of that we have a hole on the top 6 RW that needs to be filled and 5M $ less to spend on the on-ice product.

Anyways let's hope Seattle takes him so we can take that money and allocate it to players that make a difference on this team. We have to re-sign Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Zub, Paul, Formenton and Brannstrom in the next 2 seasons and could use some help on defense.

Meh he played for points one dimensional loosing hockey trash player always has been always will be
8 primary assists 6 secondary 5vrs5 it’s not like he is doing a lot to get his points

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He hasn't played the 7 NHL seasons required to qualify for UFA at the end of a contract. He became UFA because Ottawa didn't qualify him.

That is so weird! I can see being traded and maintaining your status but being cut loose to become a FA and then reverting back to a RFA just doesn't seem to make sense...but oh, well.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
That is so weird! I can see being traded and maintaining your status but being cut loose to become a FA and then reverting back to a RFA just doesn't seem to make sense...but oh, well.

Even weirder is that it isn't the first time he's been a UFA. He signed as a UFA in Columbus after Chicago didn't qualify him.

Reactions: OD99

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I m surprise how he play. What I m remember , I thinking he was just a shooter well positionned . I m surprise go in the corner , play well in the defensive zone , skate pretty well and can make play. This year with the covid lots of player have poor season. I think he bounce back next year

Reactions: Ice-Tray

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Anthony Duclair doesn't win you hockey games, it's that simple. Don't know why it's so complicated. He was coming off 23G and 40P last year in 66 games and signed for less than $2 million when everyone else who scored 20+ last year is locked in for term and above $3.5 million per year. Anyone wanna put 1+1 together?
Wtf I've been going about this all wrong. I could have swore you won hockey games by scoring goals. Colour me enlightened

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Was he a healthy scratch this past game or dealing with an injury?

Abramov wasn't great or anything but was nice to see him out there and he was noticeable with a few nice plays.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Numerous contracts signed this offseason were 1 year and lower than normal $s, even Taylor Hall = covid economics.

I'm not trying to defend Duclair and what happened (didn't sign a contract with Ottawa). Just noting the contract trend/anomaly.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How many players win you hockey games alone. Not many.

Reactions: DrEasy

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Am I the only one who is still happy about the signing? He has absolutely been a disappointment this year, but I see him having a big year next year when things are hopefully a bit more normal. Maybe I'm dreaming though.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Am I the only one who is still happy about the signing? He has absolutely been a disappointment this year, but I see him having a big year next year when things are hopefully a bit more normal. Maybe I'm dreaming though.
I havent minded him. He has a good offensive hockey IQ which is fun to watch. He is clearly past his prime though and turns over the puck too much.

He gets a lot of flack and I can see why. We are building a physical team that is hard to play against and Dadanov doesnt fit the mould.

Reactions: Smeddy

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He is my leading candidate for positive regression next year. I havent even looked at his underlying numbers but I just feel it in my bones. Half-decent 2nd line production for Dadonov incoming.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Eh, I wouldn't be to disappointed if he is trading. On the other hand I think he is the most likely guy to have a bounce back season. One thing I've been wondering the last few days is if there is any statistical evidence that shows that changing a lines centre is the most important position for chemistry. Like, right now it doesn't look like him and Jimmy have much chemistry, but could that change with someone other than White between them?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
How many players win you hockey games alone. Not many.

That and the reason he signed for such a low amount is because he doesn't have a proven track record over several years, and also because of COVID of course. He's a streaky player but the thing I always liked about Duclair when he was in Ottawa is he would always be creating something with his speed and skill. So while he was not scoring every game, he was still driving the play and could create scoring chances by himself and for his teammates. Something Dadonov has not been able to do here (at any point- not even in short spurts) . The funny thing is if Duclair had been playing with Barkov and Huberdeau for the past 3 seasons he would likely have Dadonov's contract, and if Dadonov played with Ottawa/CBJ he would likely have a 1 year contract seeing how badly he's playing without all-star linemates.

If you look at the numbers, you'd think Dadonov is easily the best player. As soon as you watch a good sample of games you realize why you need the eye test to evaluate players. I understood the signing when it was made but it turns out we swapped a toonie for a loonie and we paid an extra 10$ in the process.

Dadonov might be my least favourite Senators ever. I'd gladly take another bottom 6 guy a la Nick Paul over him. We might be better off without him in the lineup quite simply. I think you need to try and trade him in the off-season. I have a hard time seeing DJ Smith tell everyone about accountability while this guy is still in the lineup. He doesn't deserve to play.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He is my leading candidate for positive regression next year. I havent even looked at his underlying numbers but I just feel it in my bones. Half-decent 2nd line production for Dadonov incoming.

Well yeah, he can't be much worst than this year. So very likely he bounces back next year. My only concern is that he hasn't had any chemistry with anyone on the roster not named Artem.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Abramov had some very good flashes last game. He could have been a cheaper alternative to Dadonov. Saying that, I am hoping Daddy bounces back next season. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him to Seattle if the opportunity presented itself.

Reactions: Sicko

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Numerous contracts signed this offseason were 1 year and lower than normal $s, even Taylor Hall = covid economics.

I'm not trying to defend Duclair and what happened (didn't sign a contract with Ottawa). Just noting the contract trend/anomaly.
1. My post is from, like, 2 weeks ago so not sure why we need to rehash this
2. You posted it in the thread of a player who was signed, as a UFA, to a 3 yr/$15 million contract

People keep pointing to this offseason as some economically depressed, once-in-a-blue-moon rarity of guys not getting paid. The truth is the free agent class sucked. Pietrangelo and Backstrom both got paid big bucks but they were basically the only 2 guys who were true big name players. Even still, guys like Toffoli, Josi, Dadonov, Murray et al. all got term and money. The Halls and Barries of the world were coming off some of the worst seasons of their careers so it's understandable that they didn't get the max money and term on new deals.

Maybe Duclair deserved better but it's tough to say for sure.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
1. My post is from, like, 2 weeks ago so not sure why we need to rehash this
2. You posted it in the thread of a player who was signed, as a UFA, to a 3 yr/$15 million contract

People keep pointing to this offseason as some economically depressed, once-in-a-blue-moon rarity of guys not getting paid. The truth is the free agent class sucked. Pietrangelo and Backstrom both got paid big bucks but they were basically the only 2 guys who were true big name players. Even still, guys like Toffoli, Josi, Dadonov, Murray et al. all got term and money. The Halls and Barries of the world were coming off some of the worst seasons of their careers so it's understandable that they didn't get the max money and term on new deals.

Maybe Duclair deserved better but it's tough to say for sure.

I didn't look at the date of your post. And yes, it was the Duclair thing that got this sidetracked from the Dadonov discussion. No problem returning to that subject.

The top players got signed to the more normal style (non-COVID) of contract. But there were plenty of others besides that small number in the top level that signed contracts this offseason. Many other of the players that ultimately signed were scrambling to get contracts around 2 weeks before game 1 puck drop. Those deals were by and large short term (i.e., one year) and low $. Even Hall took a one-year deal though most likely (imho) because he knew something about the then current league economics and was betting on it changing in the future.

Anyhow, we've digressed away from the Dadonov subject. I was just thinking that perhaps his $5 m year might be better spent, let's say for a blueliner to fill in for a bit.

jg729

Oct 25, 2011
Toronto
Loses too many 1-1 battles n the corners and boards. I know he’s small but com’on

that alone makes me not like him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad