Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
We can not waste Stutzle on the wing. He is a natural born center. The only reason he was playing in the German league on a wing is to decrease his defensive responsibilities and increase his scoring production, because he was on a championship winning team.

Sokolov - Stutzle - Dadonov
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - White - C.Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson

I see what you are saying but there is nothing wrong with him starting on the wing. Doesn't mean he will be there his entire career.

Hes 18 and will need time to adjust to the NHL.

Reactions: Senscore

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I see what you are saying but there is nothing wrong with him starting on the wing. Doesn't mean he will be there his entire career.

Hes 18 and will need time to adjust to the NHL.

I started researching his team Adler Mannheim. They won the championship the previous year and were in the second place, before everything was cancelled due to the pandemic.
He did not want to play wing but did it for a team, to help them to win again. Why do we force him to play wing? For what propose? Will we even make the playoffs. It does not make any sense to hinder his development as a natural center, the position he played all his hockey life.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I started researching his team Adler Mannheim. They won the championship the previous year and were in the second place, before everything was cancelled due to the pandemic.
He did not want to play wing but did it for a team, to help them to win again. Why do we force him to play wing? For what propose? Will we even make the playoffs. It does not make any sense to hinder his development as a natural center, the position he played all his hockey life.

Its to lessen the responsibility that he will have in the NHL. It is not easy playing C in the NHL and even more so in a top 6 role against the best players in the world. He can play the wing to start like Dorion has said and Im sure he will take faceoffs or DJ will deploy him at times at C.

Its about getting his feet wet and slowly integrating him into the NHL. We don't need to put too much on his plate to begin with. And once the coaching staff feels he is ready for more responsbility they will give it to him. But for now no issue with him playing the wing. Its not like he is uncomfortable on the wing. Stutzle has said he can play both positions.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I have Helaire in dynasty so not pleased with this news lol.

I've got Bell in my main 12-man redraft league. Still not sure how I feel about this - way less opportunity but the limited usage is so much more valuable from a production standpoint.

CEH was my first rounder in my other 10-man redraft. I think he's fine for dynasty but he's cooked for 2020, alas.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Notice he hasn't been signed yet... I think he played his cards poorly.

Too early to say, but if we offered him 4m... I doubt he will do better at this point. I do think, between Hoff, Granlund, Kahun, Galch, AA, and Haula, he will have a lot of competition for roles.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I've got Bell in my main 12-man redraft league. Still not sure how I feel about this - way less opportunity but the limited usage is so much more valuable from a production standpoint.

CEH was my first rounder in my other 10-man redraft. I think he's fine for dynasty but he's cooked for 2020, alas.

Yeah I like Bell more in limited duty with the Chiefs than I do with a full workload for the Jets.

And yeah not too concerned because I have Helaire in dynasty but I got a very good team and I want to repeat as champion lol. I figure it will be close to a timeshare moving forward. Maybe 60-40 in favour of CEH

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Good player...but I'm not so sure signing a 31-year old to a three year deal is the right way to go right now.
It is. He doesn't make us a much better team but he can show the young guys the way.

All good young rookies and sophomores have learned a great deal from good vets. And not 13th forwards but guys in the top 6 actually contributing on the ice.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Anybody notice Pierre seems to have channeled Blue Jays GM Ross Atkins?

Get the job, clear out all the fan favourites, get creamed and humiliated while lining up a bunch of high prospects, many of whom had fathers play in the league, then when the prospects are ready for the show, shock fans by spending some money seemingly efficiently on some better talent (Ryu, Walker etc.).

Could there be a surprise playoffs in the future to parallel the Jays?

Two guys I thought had no clue are getting to a point where it looks like they might get something done. Although Atkins really started to get things done once the owner went 6 feet under (Ted Rogers) - might be a key to victory.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Its to lessen the responsibility that he will have in the NHL. It is not easy playing C in the NHL and even more so in a top 6 role against the best players in the world. He can play the wing to start like Dorion has said and Im sure he will take faceoffs or DJ will deploy him at times at C.

Its about getting his feet wet and slowly integrating him into the NHL. We don't need to put too much on his plate to begin with. And once the coaching staff feels he is ready for more responsbility they will give it to him. But for now no issue with him playing the wing. Its not like he is uncomfortable on the wing. Stutzle has said he can play both positions.

I think that might be old fashioned way of thinking. The whole wingers are offensive guys while the center has all the defensive responsibility is not the way it is now. We've seen countless centers be the main offensive weapon while the winger is the main defensive presence. Guys like hossa or Alfredsson or stone were always the one talked about as our selke nomination.

I played center growing up. To me, waiting on the half boards for a breaking and covering the points is more difficult then helping the defenseman out down low and catching the rover or the high guy while my D cover the crease and back door. I'm not some super aware X's and O's guy either. Playing center just comes more naturally and is more easy for me. It takes less thought.

How do we know it's not the same? Growing up I'd be more effective playing AA hockey at center than A hockey on the wing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If there is a Canadian division we will likely finish 7th barring an implosion in one of the other 6 cities.

If by some miracle we stay in the Atlantic I think it’s realistic to challenge for 5-6th.

That could be a blessing in disguise... we might be more competitive but all other Canadians will be even more so we might finish 6th or 7th and that'll give us another good/great pick. A last one that could be a very valuable asset down the line.

It might not be a full season anyway, with an asterisk because of covid. All we should care about is a nice transition for several of our most important prospects.

Hopefully by 2021-22, the world will be back to "normal" and then we can start competing seriously.

The chances are pretty low, but I'm hoping we'd get to see it at least as an experiment for a few games/ situations. If DJ isn't willing to experiment next season with the amount of young players in the line up, then I'm not sure when is.

Exactly. If the plan and main goal of the next season isn't to graduate and/or transition young players then I am not sure what the point is.

Good signing. Suddenly we cant stop acquiring russian players after what feels like a long time without any on team or in the system.

It's not that we were against Russian players (Gonchar, Kovalev) but more careful about drafting them as Muckler really did it too much and pretty much all of them never came over, even though some had intriguing potential. The "flight risk" has hurt the Sens prospect pools a lot back then.

Good player...but I'm not so sure signing a 31-year old to a three year deal is the right way to go right now.

Good to have a veteran skilled winger as a "stop gap" and give a bit of breathing room to the kids, kinda partially offsets not having Mark Stone anymore

What are your possible lines now?

That's what I'm hoping to see during the season :

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Brown - Dadonov
Formenton - White - Brown
Paul - Chlapik - Watson
Anisimov/Balcers

Tierneywill be in the mix though so both Norris and Brown will have to outplay him to make him expendable. He's a decent player but the vast majority of Sens fans don't see him as a core piece. Maybe he wouldn't be a bad acquisition for the Oilers as a 2-3 years serviceable player, making your bottom-6 a bit better.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I am calling it now.... Dadonov and Logan Brown are going to have chemistry.

Tkachuk Tierney Batherson
Norris Brown Dadonov
Stutzle White C. Brown
Paul Anisimov Watson

I don't think we need anymore free agent pick ups. We need spots open for Batherson, Brown, Formenton and Stutzle. Now if Dorion wanted to make a trade for Cirelli, I'd be all for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613 and Tuna99

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Yeah I like Bell more in limited duty with the Chiefs than I do with a full workload for the Jets.

And yeah not too concerned because I have Helaire in dynasty but I got a very good team and I want to repeat as champion lol. I figure it will be close to a timeshare moving forward. Maybe 60-40 in favour of CEH

My worry with CEH is that he's already not getting GL work. He's managed to sustain decent numbers thanks to heavy usage and moderate involvement in the passing game.

Bell, for all his troubles, is still a prolific pass-catching RB and one of the best pass-blocking RBs out there. I think he takes over the lion's share of the passing work in this backfield and is immediately the preferred GL option.

I see a Chubb/Hunt situation except the Chiefs have a pretty crap O-Line while the Browns have (arguably) the best in the league. Lots of low-value touches for CEH incoming. But the kid is a baller and will be great in the coming years, of that I have no doubt.

Oh well. Fantasy football is just gambling. Taking CEH over guys like Kamara (kill me), Henry, Cook, etc. was a major risk/reward play that is going to sink me in my 10-man. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Reactions: Daffy

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Or that other Russian, forgot his name but he has like 700 goals and counting....

Ov-something.
We have the potential for a powerful new Russian Connection line, where each players name ends in OV: Dadanov-Anisimov-Sokolov. I believe this is a very likely scenario when action resumes. Certainly wouldn't hurt to throw Zaitsev in the mix.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I am calling it now.... Dadonov and Logan Brown are going to have chemistry.

Tkachuk Tierney Batherson
Norris Brown Dadonov
Stutzle White C. Brown
Paul Anisimov Watson

I don't think we need anymore free agent pick ups. We need spots open for Batherson, Brown, Formenton and Stutzle. Now if Dorion wanted to make a trade for Cirelli, I'd be all for it.

I think Tkachuk-Dadonov are going to have the best chemistry. Both players are not afraid to get into the dirty areas. Tkachuk is a sneaky good playmaker, shit disturber, and rebound generator. Dadonov is not afraid to get dirty in those rebound areas. They could get paired with someone like Tierney who is clearly a pass-first guy and is very responsible defensively.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's not that we were against Russian players (Gonchar, Kovalev) but more careful about drafting them as Muckler really did it too much and pretty much all of them never came over, even though some had intriguing potential. The "flight risk" has hurt the Sens prospect pools a lot back then.

The sens have only had 14 russian players play for them since 1992..
Only 1 russian player drafted between 2007 - 2019 and that guy was playing in the QMJHL.
Careful =/= not drafting any russians for nearly 15 years?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Only 1 russian player drafted between 2007 - 2019 and that guy was playing in the QMJHL.

That's why he said Muckler. The Sens were a presidents trophy caliber team during his tenure in Ottawa. And he used a lot of draft picks on those enigmatic boom/bust type Russian prospects that slid in the hopes that we struck gold on them (instesding of opting for safer picks that would have likely helped supplement the Pizza line core a lot more then the Russians did).

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think that might be old fashioned way of thinking. The whole wingers are offensive guys while the center has all the defensive responsibility is not the way it is now. We've seen countless centers be the main offensive weapon while the winger is the main defensive presence. Guys like hossa or Alfredsson or stone were always the one talked about as our selke nomination.

I played center growing up. To me, waiting on the half boards for a breaking and covering the points is more difficult then helping the defenseman out down low and catching the rover or the high guy while my D cover the crease and back door. I'm not some super aware X's and O's guy either. Playing center just comes more naturally and is more easy for me. It takes less thought.

How do we know it's not the same? Growing up I'd be more effective playing AA hockey at center than A hockey on the wing.

It depends on the system DJ plays.

If I recall last year he played a more traditional way with the C having the down low responsibilities at both ends with the wingers only focusing on the corners and the half wall.

Different from some teams who just do a F1, F2, F3 role when it comes to both ends which I think Boucher did

This should help Stutzle immensely playing the more traditional role.

I know I played mostly traditional growing up playing competitive hockey and its what I teach the young kids now. Simpler to understand

Reactions: DrEasy and jbeck5

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Look at the Sens draft history before 2007 and you'll get your answer.

Only 257 russian players played in the NHL, Sens might have one of the biggest number of Russians to dress for them (18)... They were really not allergic to Russian players at all, just that they finally understood that it was wiser to get Russians already established in the NHL or North America instead of drafting them. Why did they draft Sokolov? Because he has been in NA for 3 years now.

Conclusion : Sens have never been against Russian hockey players, they just stopped drafting them because of the "Russian factor"

Continuing to draft Russian players would have been plain dumb. Signing guys like Kovalev, Gonchar, etc was a much better use of assets (free wallets instead of wasting a draft pick)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
SENATOR said:

It's not really worth getting too involved in line combinations at this stage anyway.

Anything can happen, whether injury to our existing centres, better chemistry with him as a centre, etc.

I suspect he will get time at centre at some point this season (if/when he plays).

Reactions: DrEasy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Only 257 russian players played in the NHL, Sens might have one of the biggest number of Russians to dress for them (18)... They were really not allergic to Russian players at all, just that they finally understood that it was wiser to get Russians already established in the NHL or North America instead of drafting them. Why did they draft Sokolov? Because he has been in NA for 3 years now.

Conclusion : Sens have never been against Russian hockey players, they just stopped drafting them because of the "Russian factor"

Continuing to draft Russian players would have been plain dumb. Signing guys like Kovalev, Gonchar, etc was a much better use of assets (free wallets instead of wasting a draft pick)

There's always the risk that they simply won't play in North America as they have the KHL as a viable alternative.

We lost Wikstrand because he didn't want to play here. Draftees like Ilya Zubov and Kirill Lyamin had long careers in the Russian leagues.

I think that risk is much higher for Russians where the culture shock is a little stronger and there's seemingly a greater reluctance to play in the minors.

The risk is obviously much lower in the case of a Russian who has been playing here in the CHL.

Reactions: Xspyrit

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It's not really worth getting too involved in line combinations at this stage anyway.

Anything can happen, whether injury to our existing centres, better chemistry with him as a centre, etc.

I suspect he will get time at centre at some point this season (if/when he plays).

No question. I suspect a similar usage and deployment much like Draisaitl playing both wing and centre.

Reactions: NyQuil

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I'm still waiting for Dimitri MEGAMAN Megalinsky to show up and start putting opposing forwards into the rafters.

Reactions: NyQuil

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

This makes no sense, it took them over 10 years to figure out that they should only sign Russians who already play in NA? Why is that exactly? There was plenty of good Russians drafted this time period.
Just because one GM was terrible at drafting doesn't mean that the next guy. Also the majority of those 18 players played here before 2005. My point is that its clear as day that the sens have shied away from Russians, and just because they picked one this year doesn't change that narrative.

Your conclusion is bizarre as well. You're saying that we aren't against them, however we just choose not to draft them because of "the Russian factor". Purposely ignoring that part of the world because of a few late round picks not panning it is plain delusional. Signing guys like Kovalev and Gonchar were good moves, however they were both at the end of the careers with minimal impact on the team in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad