Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This is unbelievable. I never considered this guy cause I thought no way we'd even have a shot. And yet we landed arguably best scorer in the UFA class; for a remarkable contract really.

Wow. I am still shocked. This is exactly, exactly what we needed. Someone who scores in bunches, has an excellent release, has a strong motor and overall game and can mentor the young kids. He also drives the net hard. He's like a Russian MacArthur, tbh.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Good player...but I'm not so sure signing a 31-year old to a three year deal is the right way to go right now.

It's the perfect way to go. We needed veteran leadership and great talent to insulate the young kids so they can be eased into the environment and have all the help to succeed.

I am still shocked we landed this guy.

Reactions: Gesus

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
From what I can gather his biggest strenght is that he knows exactly where he needs to go to score goals and put in rebounds. He moves well around the net in the Ozone and if you get him the puck he can score with a pretty well rounded shot (Good snapshot, good slapshot, good wristshot, good power, good accuracy). He's not afraid to go around the net and can shoot even if he doesn't have a lot of time, he has a quick release and he's always ready to shoot. He's patient and plays a very simple but effective game. I can see why they targeted Dadonov, he's pretty much just a very well rounded hockey player that can do a bit of everything.

I think they should put him on a line with Stutzle especially if they decide to start him on the wing. Stutzle is just a very good playmaker and makes space around the ice for his teammates. I think Dadonov could be the trigger man on his line. I could also see DJ reunite Brown and Batherson.

I'd do something like:

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Batherson
Stutzle - Norris - Dadonov
Formenton - White - C. Brown
Paul - Anisimov/Tierney - Watson
Balcers/Chlapik

One of Abramov starts in the AHL kinda like how Pageau did a few years back because they didn't have a spot for him. At the deadline you shuffle things a bit and trade Anisimov and either put Stutzle or White at center. It remains to be seen if L. Brown can take that role and same can be said about Norris.

Obviously not all these players will work out but kinda crazy we still have Pinto, Jarventie, Greig, Sokolov, Abramov.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Three years is a decent term, but it's more his age. We want to start forming top 6 units that will grow together, and hopefully stay together for the next 5-10 years.

I'm guessing you don't have any clue how unrealistic that is.

This isn't the 70s

This is 2020. The cap era. The 7 years and you're a UFA era

Can you come up with any single trio that's been together for 5 years?

Reactions: Alfie11

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

This isn't the 70s

Also worth noting most coaches seem to work in duos these days to allow for mixing things up when things aren't clicking. Trio's might stick for a year or two but expecting more than that is too much imo.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Also worth noting most coaches seem to work in duos these days to allow for mixing things up when things aren't clicking. Trio's might stick for a year or two but expecting more than that is too much imo.

Agreed. The duo concept has been around for a while and seems to be a preference for a lot of coaches

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pastarnak/Bergeron/Marchand? Has it been 5 years yet? Feels like they have played together for 15

Pasta is still pretty young. Pretty sure it's been 4. He and Marchand both have health issues but that notwithstanding it might be Bergeron's last year on the first line. That'd be 5. That's one line. And it's not 5 to 10

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This isn't the 70s

I didn't specifically mention trios. Fact is, we want the kids to grow together and be at the point where they can practically play blindfolded. The playmaker & goalscorer need to be 100% dialed in with each other to be most effective...not changing partners every season.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Dadonov has a high grade wrist shot. It is so elusive and quick it overpowers NHL goalies most of the time. I would say his wrist shot is top five in the league.
He also likes to snipe on the PP being in the slot area. If we would have someone like Shtutzle with his great vision and passing ability to dish him the pucks, our PP will improve vastly

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
We can not waste Stutzle on the wing. He is a natural born center. The only reason he was playing in the German league on a wing - to decrease his defensive responsibilities and to increase his scoring production, because he was on a championship winning team.

Sokolov - Stutzle - Dadonov
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - White - C.Brown
Paul - Anisimov - Watson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad