Evgeni Malkin vs Bryan Trottier

Who is the greater player

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Trotter was done as an offensive player by 32. It's already clear Malkin has better longevity

Barely though (so far), and that's largely balanced by games missed. A lot of players of that era also aged out early, so it's worth considering if there was something going on beyond ability. Trotgier did play a ton of hockey at an early age

Reactions: slapKing

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Barely though (so far), and that's largely balanced by games missed. A lot of players of that era also aged out early, so it's worth considering if there was something going on beyond ability. Trotgier did play a ton of hockey at an early age
It indicates the talent level was historically poor in the 80s if some of its best players like Trottier aged out so quickly

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Trottier.. not particularly close either.

During his prime he was the best all around center the league has ever seen imo.

It indicates the talent level was historically poor in the 80s if some of its best players like Trottier aged out so quickly

Don't agree with this in Trottier's case at all.

It is true that the group of players with 1950s birthdates appeared to drop off quickly and be supplanted in the mid 80s (I think in large part due to the change to a short-shift game). However, in #19's case, he had some pretty bad injuries pile up and a ton of mileage on him. He was a very physical player who at one point played 20 consecutive NHL playoff series, after all.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Completely agree then and for the record I'd have both Malkin and Trottier top 100 all time. I don't think Malkin is bad defensively or anything just saying at his peak he wasn't as good defensively as Trottier in his. Malkin has aged better, like many of his peers compared to Trottier's, and Trottier on Pittsburgh clearly wasn't elite anymore (he still did contribute to the team, mainly leadership and experience). During Trottier's peak and prime though he's around the same level as Malkin: one of the best in the league and at times the best.

One thing that complicates a comparison is that you're talking about 22 years between each players 'peak'. In terms of the 'years gap' between peaks, this isn't comparing Malkin to peak Thornton or peak Lindros or peak Yzerman.

That said, voted Malkin because we're talking 'peak', and 'peak Malkin' was, as Keith Jones so eloquently put it, 'shades of Mario'.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Malkin because of his post 30 resume. He’s been a top 10 player basically his entire career.

As others have said - Malkin missed enough games in his prime that anything he's done post 30 better than Trottier isn't enough to even make up for missed games. If Malkin continues on for 2-3 more seasons at a high level, maybe that extra elite longevity takes over.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As others have said - Malkin missed enough games in his prime that anything he's done post 30 better than Trottier isn't enough to even make up for missed games. If Malkin continues on for 2-3 more seasons at a high level, maybe that extra elite longevity takes over.

have you actually looked at Malkins stats past 30? Your post is factually wrong.

Reactions: sanscosm

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Malkin easily, the other guy hasnt even played in like 30 years lol

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
have you actually looked at Malkins stats past 30? Your post is factually wrong.

Malkin won a cup as the point leader at 30.

I feel like you guys misunderstood my post.

What Malkin has done post 30 is great - I don't disagree.
I'm saying prior to 30 - he missed so much time to injuries', that he was already behind Trottier. Those seasons past 30 are helping to bridge the gap with Trottier, that's all

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I'm saying prior to 30 - he missed so much time to injuries', that he was already behind Trottier. Those seasons past 30 are helping to bridge the gap with Trottier, that's all

what did Trottier do that separates himself from Malkin? I know he played during the same era as Gretzky so his individual accomplishments are limited, but its still not blowing Malkin away.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Malkin

Top five point finishes
Top five point per game finishes

Awards:
Ross, Ross, Hart, Pearson, Smythe, Calder, Lindsay

Trottier

Top five point finishes
Tove five point per game finishes

Awards:
Ross, Hart, Smythe, Calder

Malkin did everything Trottier did and more at 33 besides win two extra games in a cup final.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Malkin

Top five point finishes
Top five point per game finishes

Awards:
Ross, Ross, Hart, Pearson, Smythe, Calder, Lindsay

Trottier

Top five point finishes
Tove five point per game finishes

Awards:
Ross, Hart, Smythe, Calder

Malkin did everything Trottier did and more at 33 besides win two extra games in a cup final.

No, he didn't. Comparing awards and offense only with a complete player like Trottier is only taking into account 1/3 of his game. Top 5 cut off and on pace stats flatter Malkin. Who has more top 10 actual seasons?

Not to mention Trottier was competing against dynasty Lafleur and Gretzky (and Bossy on his own team for that matter) for awards.

I imagine the Isles also did a lot of vote splitting with thier big 3 being in their primes at the same time. Malkin does that with Crosby but has had the benefit of Crosby's lengthy absences at times as well in that regard.

Think you're getting carried away.

No, I'm really not. Trottier is the prototypical all around #1 center.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No, he didn't. Comparing awards and offense only with a complete player like Trottier is only taking into account 1/3 of his game. Top 5 cut off and on pace stats flatter Malkin. Who has more top 10 actual seasons?

Not to mention Trottier was competing against dynasty Lafleur and Gretzky (and Bossy on his own team for that matter) for awards.

I imagine the Isles also did a lot of vote splitting with thier big 3 being in their primes at the same time. Malkin does that with Crosby but has had the benefit of Crosby's lengthy absences at times as well in that regard.

No, I'm really not. Trottier is the prototypical all around #1 center.

It’s 4 to 6 Malkin to Trottier if you include top ten points.

It’s 10 to 6 Malkin you Trottier if you got top ten PPG.

Malkin and Trottier were both the best or second best forward on their team in multiple cup runs. Not sure I buy the argument that Trottier’s defense outweighed the impact of Malkin’s sustained dominance against his peers.

I’m fine with you saying Trottier was better, but discrediting Malkin as being in the same breath despite the defensive difference is a little ridiculous IMO.

Malkin took out Crosby and Ovechkin in their prime for a Ross. Trottier got toasted in the points race once the merge happened in 79-80. I guess you could make the argument that he was focused on championships at that point. But it isn’t like Malkin didn’t dominate the field when healthy in both post season and regular season after his early career championship.

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
It’s 4 to 6 Malkin to Trottier if you include top ten points.

It’s 10 to 6 Malkin you Trottier if you got top ten PPG.

Malkin and Trottier were both the best or second best forward on their team in multiple cup runs. Not sure I buy the argument that Trottier’s defense outweighed the impact of Malkin’s sustained dominance against his peers.

I’m fine with you saying Trottier was better, but discrediting Malkin as being in the same breath despite the defensive difference is a little ridiculous IMO.

Malkin took out Crosby and Ovechkin in their prime for a Ross. Trottier got toasted in the points race once the merge happened in 79-80. I guess you could make the argument that he was focused on championships at that point. But it isn’t like Malkin didn’t dominate the field when healthy in both post season and regular season after his early career championship.

Trottier and every single NHLer not named Wayne Gretzky got toasted in regards to points from 79-80 to close to 1990.

Malkin would have gotten significantly outscored by the Great One too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Trottier and every single NHLer not named Wayne Gretzky got toasted in regards to points from 79-80 to close to 1990.

Malkin would have gotten significantly outscored by the Great One too.

I would gladly honor this view point if Trottier wasn’t regularly getting outscored and out paced by the 2nd and 3rd best players on the triple crown line during his prime.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No it doesn't. The game was different at that time. Very few players played the non-contact one-dimensional style we see so much of now.

There were a crap ton of offense only non-contact players in the 80s, the greatest player of them all was one himself. Most players may have played physical but most players were not great defensively. Todays players are by far more skilled and well rounded, so that's just an absurd opinion to be honest.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Trottier.. not particularly close either.

During his prime he was the best all around center the league has ever seen imo.

Don't agree with this in Trottier's case at all.

It is true that the group of players with 1950s birthdates appeared to drop off quickly and be supplanted in the mid 80s (I think in large part due to the change to a short-shift game). However, in #19's case, he had some pretty bad injuries pile up and a ton of mileage on him. He was a very physical player who at one point played 20 consecutive NHL playoff series, after all.

Trottier, and not particularly close? That's hilarious.

Reactions: Wings4Life

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I hate the Isle's but the answer is Trottier.
Malkin may possess more skill, but if I'm starting a team, I take Trottier every time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad