Prospect Info: Everything Edvinsson

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Got into a little fight last night.

Guy that tried fighting him was way out of his league/size. Edvinsson seemed surprised the smaller guy was actually tossing haymakers at him.

Believe me or not Kasper looked good too! Peppered like 10 shots on goal it seemed like, though he didn't score.

Edvinsson should be on this team now though, I know there are guys signed above but, idk, he's physically fit, ready, etc. Idk the hold up anymore, it's bothering me.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Got into a little fight last night.

Guy that tried fighting him was way out of his league/size. Edvinsson seemed surprised the smaller guy was actually tossing haymakers at him.

Believe me or not Kasper looked good too! Peppered like 10 shots on goal it seemed like, though he didn't score.

Edvinsson should be on this team now though, I know there are guys signed above but, idk, he's physically fit, ready, etc. Idk the hold up anymore, it's bothering me.

Here's the fight:

But more to the important point... it strikes me as odd that so many people don't remember what Detroit was known for when it came to developing prospects, particularly from the late 90s until KH emptied the cupboards in an attempt to keep the playoff streak alive no matter what. Edvinsson, Berggren, all the rest, they're all being over-ripened. The team is in a much better position to kick this process back into gear than we were when Stevie took over.

Simply put, there's absolutely no reason to rush our prospects to the big club just because they're having some good games. This isn't a favoritism thing, it's building for long-term success. Stevie is building a new dynasty.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Here's the fight:

But more to the important point... it strikes me as odd that so many people don't remember what Detroit was known for when it came to developing prospects, particularly from the late 90s until KH emptied the cupboards in an attempt to keep the playoff streak alive no matter what. Edvinsson, Berggren, all the rest, they're all being over-ripened. The team is in a much better position to kick this process back into gear than we were when Stevie took over.

Simply put, there's absolutely no reason to rush our prospects to the big club just because they're having some good games. This isn't a favoritism thing, it's building for long-term success. Stevie is building a new dynasty.

Well, maybe true but Red Wings then weren't exactly pushing or picking 1st round picks in the top 10 and developing them. It was later round picks, so the multi-year thing is a bit more understandable, especially when you consider they actually had a Stanely cup worthy roster from 92-2010 I'd say.

Little different circumstances imo.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wonder if we'll still see people saying Yzerman is doing some sort of 5D chess dynasty building thing not playing Edvinsson when it leads to him being traded

probably :laugh:

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I wonder if we'll still see people saying Yzerman is doing some sort of 5D chess dynasty building thing not playing Edvinsson when it leads to him being traded

I fully expect Edvinsson to get called up and one of Holl/Petry to ride the pine when the rosters expand.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Well, maybe true but Red Wings then weren't exactly pushing or picking 1st round picks in the top 10 and developing them. It was later round picks, so the multi-year thing is a bit more understandable, especially when you consider they actually had a Stanely cup worthy roster from 92-2010 I'd say.

Little different circumstances imo.
You're not wrong, no... but it's still a factor, especially if you consider the desire to not rush guys.

If we don't start building towards the over-ripening of players now, there will never be a convenient time. As we become more of a consistent threat in the standings and start drafting closer to the bottom-10, we'll all be glad we did this now.

If he gets traded, so be it. There's no sense in playing a guy before we have to. If his performance in GR merits being called up and making a guy like Petry sit in the press box, that's great.

Expansion is coming, likely sooner rather than later. This too will affect roster spot availability. Don't forget that.

Reactions: Snuggs

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't know why people are bringing up Petry/Holl. Ed should be taking over for Ghost. I'm sure he can handle putting up some points while sporting a -20...

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think I it weren't for his injury at the end of last season he would have been up this year. However with his shoulder messing up and effecting his off season training do to it they figured it would be good to have some veteran back ups on the team instead of him risking not being 100% and getting hurt again losing development time.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Here's the fight:

Love the passion from Ed. Also funny how those 5'10 Belleville players are trying to push him around, and he just toyed with them.

I think he'll be on the Wings for our playoff push.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Am I the only one annoyed by bumping the “Edvinsson recalled to Detroit” thread for general Edvinsson discussion? I thought he was back
Unless it’s a thread with a very general title, yeah, it’s annoying when old threads get necro’d.

dj4aces

Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Love the passion from Ed. Also funny how those 5'10 Belleville players are trying to push him around, and he just toyed with them.

Absolutely. It reminded me a lot of the old cartoons, where one character is just swinging their fists wildly while the other just holds out their hand and holds them back.

And yeah, I anticipate Ed being up for the big push. Players like Helm went through exactly that -- bulk of the regular season in GR, with the push to the playoffs with the big club.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I actually dont like how Edvinsson sat there and kinda let the guy swing for a bit, like he seemed worried about a penalty or something. If one of those wild swings clips you in the chin you could be out for a month with a concussion. Should be protecting himself quicker than that, next time he might get unlucky and one of thoe pop him

Reactions: sepster

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016

There is absolutely no way edvinsson gets traded. Unless that is a major blockbuster. I can't see any of seider, Ed, or asp being traded anytime soon unless there is a major cap issue or McDavid becomes available

Reactions: lilidk

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I actually dont like how Edvinsson sat there and kinda let the guy swing for a bit, like he seemed worried about a penalty or something. If one of those wild swings clips you in the chin you could be out for a month with a concussion. Should be protecting himself quicker than that, next time he might get unlucky and one of thoe pop him

At 6'6" his range and reach advantage is massive over someone sub 6'. Also it's not like it's on a floor it's on ice. Provided he maintained his balance, there was no way dude could have hit him.

Reactions: Cake Eater

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
At 6'6" his range and reach advantage is massive over someone sub 6'. Also it's not like it's on a floor it's on ice. Provided he maintained his balance, there was no way dude could have hit him.
That the attitude it seems like he had, and its absolutely not true. All it takes is a little jersey tug, or for him to step on a skate in a scrum like that and he slips a bit, and boom hes wearing that right on his chin.

Talking about how its on ice, and then saying provided he maintains his balance is kind of an oxymoron. Thats not a guarantee, sp protect yourself. Exact same height difference below

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think one of Ghost/Maatta gets traded at the deadline and Ed gets called up and never goes back down.

Will be curious to see how Lalonde deploys him once he’s a regular on the team. If he’s not a middle pairing guy to start next season, I think he will be that by the end of next season. Then maybe we look at moving Chiarot at the TDL next year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think one of Ghost/Maatta gets traded at the deadline and Ed gets called up and never goes back down.

Will be curious to see how Lalonde deploys him once he’s a regular on the team. If he’s not a middle pairing guy to start next season, I think he will be that by the end of next season. Then maybe we look at moving Chiarot at the TDL next year.

Hopefully it’s Maatta. He’s been decent the last 4 games but is easily the worst of our LD.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was probably a little casual but to me it was mostly embarrassing for the guy trying to fight him. It looked like a little brother trying to fight his big brother to no avail.

Ed did everything short of tousle his hair and tell him to stop hitting himself.

Reactions: odin1981 and Snuggs

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
That the attitude it seems like he had, and its absolutely not true. All it takes is a little jersey tug, or for him to step on a skate in a scrum like that and he slips a bit, and boom hes wearing that right on his chin.

Talking about how its on ice, and then saying provided he maintains his balance is kind of an oxymoron. Thats not a guarantee, sp protect yourself. Exact same height difference below

Being on ice actually helps him in this case because both people have to brace their weight on on their skates. If it was an a floor then the smaller person would at least have a chance to be able to close the distance to get in range to punch him using agility/quickness move that isn't possible on skates. He outweighs the dude by like 40lbs, has reach, and doesn't have to do much other than wait for a opening were the shorter guy has to lean/lunge to try to get into distance.

I will agree with you that yes ice does add complication to it. But he has a huge advantage over the smaller guy. In a ring, or a 1 on 1 fight setting where the shorter guy actually can use lateral movements to close the range that he is giving up it would be more about martial skill, but on ice, giving up a huge reach disadvantage and being unable to use movement due to at best being able to glide slowly hugely favors a bigger individual because the cannot use any normal way of closing the range to be able to actually hit him.

In a normal setting yes a shorter individual would be able to use center of gravity far better so if they had enough skill they could do something but Edvinsson isn't a tall lanky shrimp, he actually has mass plus reach in a situation where the only way a smaller dude can close the distance quick enough to make a counterstrike he isn't in a setting where he could close the range difference to be able to connect with him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm with Newfy, Ed should have taken that more seriously and started swinging sooner. It might look ridiculous, you might think there isn't a chance in hell the other guy could catch him with one...and then it happens. It's a men's league and that guy wasn't trying to be funny. Ed needs to take this crap seriously and look out for himself.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm with Newfy, Ed should have taken that more seriously and started swinging sooner. It might look ridiculous, you might think there isn't a chance in hell the other guy could catch him with one...and then it happens. It's a men's league and that guy wasn't trying to be funny. Ed needs to take this crap seriously and look out for himself.
Exactly.. It obviously ended up working out, but sitting there with your arm limp at your side while a guy is swinging at you with some intentions is stupid regardless of your height advantage. It looked Sedin-esque until he finally snapped. Dont even give the little shit a chance to think about throwing a punch at you when that is giong on and finish it before they get any ideas.

Like I said, no harm no foul this time, but next time when the guy is 6'2 it could be different. Dont get in the habit of not protecting yourself

Being on ice actually helps him in this case because both people have to brace their weight on on their skates. If it was an a floor then the smaller person would at least have a chance to be able to close the distance to get in range to punch him using agility/quickness move that isn't possible on skates. He outweighs the dude by like 40lbs, has reach, and doesn't have to do much other than wait for a opening were the shorter guy has to lean/lunge to try to get into distance.

I will agree with you that yes ice does add complication to it. But he has a huge advantage over the smaller guy. In a ring, or a 1 on 1 fight setting where the shorter guy actually can use lateral movements to close the range that he is giving up it would be more about martial skill, but on ice, giving up a huge reach disadvantage and being unable to use movement due to at best being able to glide slowly hugely favors a bigger individual because the cannot use any normal way of closing the range to be able to actually hit him.

In a normal setting yes a shorter individual would be able to use center of gravity far better so if they had enough skill they could do something but Edvinsson isn't a tall lanky shrimp, he actually has mass plus reach in a situation where the only way a smaller dude can close the distance quick enough to make a counterstrike he isn't in a setting where he could close the range difference to be able to connect with him.
I think youre overthinking it. Its a mens league with a guy throwing punches.Regardless of height advantage, theres ways those punches could connect, as simple as a jersey tug causing Edvinssons head to drop a couple inches while the guy is timing a punch.

Is it likely?Maybe not, but I linked a video of it happening and have seen similar situations in real life play out. Remember when the start of the year management wanted Edvinsson to be more assertive? This is an example of where he shoulda been

Reactions: sepster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad