Prospect Info: Everything Edvinsson

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
God I hate these posts so much. No we don’t always know better but if you’ve paid any attention over the last 10 years of this team, yes many times we have known better and have been proven right time and time again. These appeals to authority are just stupid.
Went to my first game in '87, I have a good concept by now, yeah. Watched this squad win 4 championships during that time also. It's not "an appeal to authority" it's watching the process over many years and it working. People were super animate over Zadina too, call him up, get him here now, he's going to fix the scoring, etc. And a few dozen other prospects over the years, Damien Brunner was going to be a 60 point guy playing with Zetterberg too.

I trust the development of our youth in the hands of the team and professionals over the bros posting on fan forums, sorry.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Went to my first game in '87, I have a good concept by now, yeah. Watched this squad win 4 championships during that time also. It's not "an appeal to authority" it's watching the process over many years and it working. People were super animate over Zadina too, call him up, get him here now, he's going to fix the scoring, etc. And a few dozen other prospects over the years, Damien Brunner was going to be a 60 point guy playing with Zetterberg too.

I trust the development of our youth in the hands of the team and professionals over the bros posting on fan forums, sorry.
And who drafted and signed these guys that shit the bed? The fans?

Zadina over Hughes was management being wrong. Rasmussen over Necas (who many of us of this board wanted as I recall) was management being wrong. Trading down and picking Cholo. List goes on.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're gonna hear about them! FrankenSTEIN my son tells me your company stinks, you couldn't see smooth ice if.......................... I lost my train of thought!

AND NOW it is time for the Feats of Strength............

How do you get him for Christmas if he is already here?
I would rather have feats of Defense and Goaltending.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Is this a serious response? I feel like this just turned troll on me.
Yeah I edited it to clarify my point. Tis quite serious. Those guys sucked and management was the ones who chose them, and many of us wanted different guys. They were wrong. We were right. It happens a lot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah I edited it to clarify my point. Tis quite serious. Those guys sucked and management was the ones who chose them, and many of us wanted different guys. They were wrong. We were right. It happens a lot.

It happens, sure, but I wouldn't say "a lot." You're also only cutting this one direction.

For example, literally 0 people here advocated for Seider being drafted. That's a pretty big miss.

Also, if you're consistently questioning moves from management in sports, no shit you're going to be right often. Most players don't become stars and overwhelmingly most teams fail to win a Cup. So being a doubter is a surefire way to feel you're some kind of wizard when the odds play out in your favor over the years.

Unless your team is simply incredible with no holes, which is almost never, being the squeaky wheel "critical thinker" will prove out correct more often than not.

It's one thing to be critical of specific circumstances, but sports fanbases always have a cohort critical 90% of the time then come swaggering in with, "I told you so!" It's lazy and meaningless, thus why people tune those folks out quickly.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
And who drafted and signed these guys that shit the bed? The fans?

Zadina over Hughes was management being wrong. Rasmussen over Necas (who many of us of this board wanted as I recall) was management being wrong. Trading down and picking Cholo. List goes on.
All Holland moves, can we move on from the GM that hasn't been here in 4-1/2 years?

Reactions: lomekian and kliq

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
It happens, sure, but I wouldn't say "a lot." You're also only cutting this one direction.

For example, literally 0 people here advocated for Seider being drafted. That's a pretty big miss.

Also, if you're consistently questioning moves from management in sports, no shit you're going to be right often. Most players don't become stars and overwhelmingly most teams fail to win a Cup. So being a doubter is a surefire way to feel you're some kind of wizard when the odds play out in your favor over the years.

Unless your team is simply incredible with no holes, which is almost never, being the squeaky wheel "critical thinker" will prove out correct more often than not.

It's one thing to be critical of specific circumstances, but sports fanbases always have a cohort critical 90% of the time then come swaggering in with, "I told you so!" It's lazy and meaningless, thus why people tune those folks out quickly.
I agree with you for the most part. Broken clock is right twice a day, etc.

But I also think people place way too much trust in sports team management, as if it takes advanced training and a PhD to do the job. NHL team hiring is mostly through nepotism and previous players.

I'll just stick with the draft as an example. You're right, I would never have picked Seider.
In 2016, I wanted Chychrun.
In 2017, Necas.
In 2018, I would have picked Zadina too, so made teh same mistake.
In 2019, I would have picked Zegras or Cozens at that spot.
In 2020, agreed with Raymond.
In 2021, agreed with Ed.
In 2022, Savoie.
In 2023. Benson.

So, you tell me - is Chychrun/Necas/Zegras better or worse than Cholowski/Rasmussen/Seider?

I'm wrong all the time. But so is management. I firmly believe there are many posters on these boards that could do a better job of evaluating talent than the guys employed by many NHL teams.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
God I hate these posts so much. No we don’t always know better but if you’ve paid any attention over the last 10 years of this team, yes many times we have known better and have been proven right time and time again. These appeals to authority are just stupid.
Obviously if you take it to the extreme it negates the whole purpose of this forum. It would just be everyone saying "well the team knows best." But there is also the reality that we as Wings fans are privy to maybe 10% of the information that Yzerman and Lalonde are operating with.

The post that started the response was declaring as fact that Ed was ready for the NHL at the end of the preseason. That's a pretty bold take based on a handful of preseason games where no teams rarely are icing their regular season roster. Then there's the fact that he was coming off of shoulder surgery in may that had an estimated 4 to 6 month recovery time.

We're fans. We're obsessed. Of course we think we're right. But a little self awareness of how little we actually know about the goings on of the players goes a long way.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Obviously if you take it to the extreme it negates the whole purpose of this forum. It would just be everyone saying "well the team knows best." But there is also the reality that we as Wings fans are privy to maybe 10% of the information that Yzerman and Lalonde are operating with.

The post that started the response was declaring as fact that Ed was ready for the NHL at the end of the preseason. That's a pretty bold take based on a handful of preseason games where no teams rarely are icing their regular season roster. Then there's the fact that he was coming off of shoulder surgery in may that had an estimated 4 to 6 month recovery time.

We're fans. We're obsessed. Of course we think we're right. But a little self awareness of how little we actually know about the goings on of the players goes a long way.
I think that's fine, and if the product on the ice is successful, it's difficult to criticize the decisions the brass makes with, as you say, much more information than we have.

But when the decisions they make result in a horrible on-ice product, poor drafting, 7+ years of missed playoffs, etc, it's a bit ridiculous to act like they know better. As an example (and I am NOT saying Detroit is in this position) - Buffalo still sucks after like a decade of trying to rebuild. I am 100% confident if you picked one of the top ~10 posters on this board and put them in charge of the Sabres over the last 10 years, they would have done a better job.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004

I only regret that I have but one "like" to give to this post.

Absolutely well said. It's much easier to criticize something than to try and create something.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I think that's fine, and if the product on the ice is successful, it's difficult to criticize the decisions the brass makes with, as you say, much more information than we have.

But when the decisions they make result in a horrible on-ice product, poor drafting, 7+ years of missed playoffs, etc, it's a bit ridiculous to act like they know better. As an example (and I am NOT saying Detroit is in this position) - Buffalo still sucks after like a decade of trying to rebuild. I am 100% confident if you picked one of the top ~10 posters on this board and put them in charge of the Sabres over the last 10 years, they would have done a better job.

Quite possibly. I think in a lot of instances part of the problem is also the politics and meddling from owners. Here we get to operate in a vaccuum.

Like most things I think it's not binary. We as fans are not privy to a lot of the information and situations that GM's and coaches deal with so there may be reasons we're unaware of for the things we complain about. At the same time some moves are so headscratchingly bad you wonder how these people got the job.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Maybe they should have.
46usrk.png

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Quite possibly. I think in a lot of instances part of the problem is also the politics and meddling from owners. Here we get to operate in a vaccuum.

Like most things I think it's not binary. We as fans are not privy to a lot of the information and situations that GM's and coaches deal with so there may be reasons we're unaware of for the things we complain about. At the same time some moves are so headscratchingly bad you wonder how these people got the job.
Sometimes some people are just not good at their job, regardless of the fact they're in that position..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad