Everything COVID19 - PART 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
seriously? You gave up that easily - buck up Mang, this covid effort is peanuts compared to what other generations went through. You can’t even follow arrows in a grocery store - I don’t know you but I think you Have at least the strength to do that.

not when I seen thousands upon thousands gathering for protests

everything went up in smoke after public health officials did not condemn those actions

I don’t even watch the news anymore... these comments on Covid are the only Covid related talk I’ve had since the beginning of June

I’ve tuned out completely

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
not when I seen thousands upon thousands gathering for protests

everything went up in smoke after public health officials did not condemn those actions

I don’t even watch the news anymore... these comments on Covid are the only Covid related talk I’ve had since the beginning of June

I’ve tuned out completely

Tune In and tune out whatever you want, but if you are going to the grocery store you’ve come to an agreement to follow the procedure of the store so follow the arrows. You’re not doing some sort of social protest, you’re just being a zombie.

just order the curb side pickup if you can’t bring yourself to be respectful of others space.

No one likes how things are going now, chin up.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Tune In and tune out whatever you want, but if you are going to the grocery store you’ve come to an agreement to follow the procedure of the store so follow the arrows. You’re not doing some sort of social protest, you’re just being a zombie.

just order the curb side pickup if you can’t bring yourself to be respectful of others space.

I’m not the only one dude
Most people don't give a f*** either... go out with my wife and just point people out

Nobody gives a f*** anymore... it’s awesome

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
seriously? You gave up that easily - buck up Mang, this covid effort is peanuts compared to what other generations went through. You can’t even follow arrows in a grocery store - I don’t know you but I think you Have at least the strength to do that.

I make sure to extend my arms when I crash my grocery cart into those people to ensure I'm 2m away when they get hit.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that there are in fact some people who like where this is going / how this is.

And of course, some people will like any given thing, but there are definitely some social engineering / petty tyrant types afoot.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Oof. A lot to unpack here. First, OPH has us at nine active outbreaks, 19 current hospitalizations, and 1,669 recoveries out of 2,002 cases — meaning 333 currently active cases. Still small, still trending positively — but much larger than the number you pulled out of your ass. Those numbers could be underreported, too, since we don't have a 100% testing rate.

Second, your "wait inside forever until a vaccine is found" argument is a strawman. Nobody is saying to do that. Businesses are re-opening — bars, hair salons, camping grounds, childcare centres. It's a gradual process because going to "back to normal" creates wider problems surrounding larger amounts of people. Let's say, for argument's sake, that we accept your assumption that a second wave is inevitable. Don't you think that could be mitigated much more effectively if we're NOT encouraging people to gather en masse?

Third, the tone of these two passages really speaks to where you're coming from: "I'm kind of over having life totally shut down for months." and "Reading about how devastated certain businesses have been by the lockdown has been pretty hard."

To the first: do you really think you're alone there? How many people do you know that wouldn't LOVE to be out at a bar or at the movies with their friends and family right now? The virus isn't done its spread just because we decide we're done with it.

And to the second... I agree and sympathize with business owners to a huge degree. Nobody could have predicted this coming and, with a lot of businesses operating on a razor thin margin, we're losing a lot of Ottawa staples — The Highlander Pub, for instance, announced this morning that they're closing... and as a former patron I'm really upset about it.

But you know what else has been pretty hard? Seeing how many lives have been lost — 256 in Ottawa. "The deaths have been tragic, but we can't afford to let more businesses fail" is SO the wrong priority. "The businesses that have failed have been tragic, but we can't afford to let more people die" is far more reasonable.

I interpreted his "4" to mean new cases, not active cases

The majority of people that died were in old age homes and make no mistake about it: they are victims of poor policy as much as they are victims of covid.

Had they simply looked at the operating model of the old age industry it would have been clear that the model itself was a problem and they could have then implemented targeted wage subsidies to address the operating model. Which is exactly what BC did and which was very effective

Reactions: OttawaSenators11
Oct 10, 2010
When i go to the stores much higher % of people don't give two shits about the lines and arrows - Majority just wanna get in and out.

My suggestion for those that are paranoid - Order online and stay away from stores.

Reactions: Stylizer1

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I interpreted his "4" to mean new cases, not active cases

The majority of people that died were in old age homes and make no mistake about it: they are victims of poor policy as much as they are victims of covid.

Had they simply looked at the operating model of the old age industry it would have been clear that the model itself was a problem and they could have then implemented targeted wage subsidies to address the operating model. Which is exactly what BC did and which was very effective
If that was the intent, it should have been specified. As it was, it was a number that could have easily been taken to mean something else and deserved to be fact-checked.

I agree that bad policy and mismanagement has been a serious factor in long-term care home outbreaks, and that it's an urgent problem that needs immediate attention before the second wave hits, but let's put a few things into context:

1. While you're right that the majority of cases have been among the elderly — median age of those who have died is 87 in Ottawa — we've also lost a handful of people who were younger, with the youngest to die being 39 years old.

2. This viewpoint looks past the fact that just because someone doesn't die of it doesn't mean they won't pass it along to someone at higher risk.

3. People in long-term care homes can't take the same steps that we can. By following basic guidelines that take next to no effort to implement, we're reducing the likelihood of community spread. Limiting this limits the likelihood of someone passing COVID to someone who works at a long-term care home, which then limits the likelihood of a new outbreak. It's all interconnected.

Oct 10, 2010
The person who passed away at age 39 i knew from FB, he was very overweight and used a cane plus had other health issues he died with covid-19 not because of covid like the people in old age homes, that poor guy was already in very bad shape.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If that was the intent, it should have been specified. As it was, it was a number that could have easily been taken to mean something else and deserved to be fact-checked.

I agree that bad policy and mismanagement has been a serious factor in long-term care home outbreaks, and that it's an urgent problem that needs immediate attention before the second wave hits, but let's put a few things into context:

1. While you're right that the majority of cases have been among the elderly — median age of those who have died is 87 in Ottawa — we've also lost a handful of people who were younger, with the youngest to die being 39 years old.

2. This viewpoint looks past the fact that just because someone doesn't die of it doesn't mean they won't pass it along to someone at higher risk.

3. People in long-term care homes can't take the same steps that we can. By following basic guidelines that take next to no effort to implement, we're reducing the likelihood of community spread. Limiting this limits the likelihood of someone passing COVID to someone who works at a long-term care home, which then limits the likelihood of a new outbreak. It's all interconnected.

I don't have any issue per se with the lockdowns. I understand the intent and by and large have no issue with it

But there are several things the feds have done or the province has done that require real scrutiny. Poor decisions. That have resulted in unnecessary death. Financial aid only in circumstances where it supports a political agenda. What's transpired over the past few months should offend all Canadians. We have a government functioning without parliamentary oversight. It doesn't even matter what they are doing, it matters that they are doing it and what's worse seem smug about it

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did they have pre existing conditions?

American heart association released numbers that suggests nearly half of americans have some form of cardiovascular disease. Roughly 10% of adults have diabetes. Around 8% have asthma. About 8% is severely obese.

The odds of having some sort of pre-existing condition is probably higher than you'd expect.

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018

Just curious if you're viewing this a someone who is surviving on the CERB or as someone who has not missed a paycheck? I would argue that losing your livelihood would make following these guidelines for this long a little more than next to no effort.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Just curious if you're viewing this a someone who is surviving on the CERB or as someone who has not missed a paycheck? I would argue that losing your livelihood would make following these guidelines for this long a little more than next to no effort.
Valid and well-taken point. You're right. I'm coming at this from a place of privilege.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Study: 100% face mask use could crush second, third COVID-19 wave

No new COVID-19 cases after infected Missouri hairstylists worked with over 140. How?

If we had simply mandated that everyone wear a mask or face covering when in public, how many deaths could have been prevented? Would we have had to lock down for so long?

Instead, we had: WHO says there is no need for healthy people to wear face masks, days after the CDC told all Americans to cover their faces
Not surprising to see CDC and WHO contradicting each other. Masterfully botched the response to this pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad