Blue Jays Discussion: EVERYBODY'S A BLUE JAY! Well, maybe not Danny Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
MasculineDifferentGorilla.gif

Gibby was only given one game? Should have been at least 5.

Just looks like a gathering of people, that's all.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
lol i know people think he will micraculously come back as the Stroman we knew and on top of that our number one pitcher lol

I don't think he will be back.

Considering he's been on a throwing program for a couple months, and it only takes a starter 14-18 innings on 3-4 appearances to build stamina, I'd say people thinking he'll be back as a starter isnt farfetched.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Considering he's been on a throwing program for a couple months, and it only takes a starter 14-18 innings on 3-4 appearances to build stamina, I'd say people thinking he'll be back as a starter isnt farfetched.

I doubt he'll be a starter, likely in the Pen. Playoff time you shorten the rotation and we have 4 starters pitching extremely well (guess who the other is ;)).

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
Do people really believe Stroman is going to be back and starting?

IMO we'll be lucky if he's cleared in time to pitch at all. The guy hasn't thrown in games since last year, there's virtually zero chance he is going to be able to stretch him out in time to start. I think he may be able to come in and give 1-2 innings of relief, no chance he's throwing 5+ innings every 5th day

I agree

There's no way for him to get the innings needed to be able to be a starter. Minor league season will be over.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just looks like a gathering of people, that's all.

He aggressively hugged near-all-star Omar Infante! 20 game suspension and Ventura should get a free shot to throw at his head and smack talk him over the internet. :sarcasm:

Wasn't Gibby a coach with the Royals (or the AAA team) between gigs with the Jays? That probably explains being so amicable with Infante.

Infante wasn't with the Royals yet when Gibby was there. And Infante's been in the bigs since 13 years (which is less relevant since I think Gibby was a bench coach in KC, but still)

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
I don't know if Stroman would be making those rehab starts if it's playoff baseball. That may not be fair to the guys on the team who've played the season out to have a shot at the postseason, to have a guy come in and make a start where he's working on things.

I'm pretty confident you have to play a percentage of a teams games in the regular season to be eligible for a playoff roster. Prevents AAA guys from playing on an A playoff team.

Stroman therefore couldn't play on any minor league playoff team.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I'm pretty confident you have to play a percentage of a teams games in the regular season to be eligible for a playoff roster. Prevents AAA guys from playing on an A playoff team.

Surely there's an asterisk in regards to service time.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

I would think that they would have a clear day roster, wouldn't they?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

that has no bearing on mlb players who are rehabbing. Andy Pettitte pitched against New Hampshire in the playoffs when he was on a rehab assignment.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't recall every seeing a game sell out weeks in advance, let alone a whole series (other than maybe Canada day). I've always been able to walk up game day and grab Jays/Yanks tickets unless it was a Sunday with a good giveaway. Your pessimism is unreal

It's not pessimism, I just need to see more than a couple series immediately after big moves before declaring us some giant market. After the big offseason a few years ago we drew big crowds the first couple of weeks too before dying down.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It's not pessimism, I just need to see more than a couple series immediately after big moves before declaring us some giant market. After the big offseason a few years ago we drew big crowds the first couple of weeks too before dying down.

Winning helps. If they continue to do that, crowds follow. Simple formula.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

Rehab assignments supercede that. If there's a roster player who needs to get back into game-shape, the team can send them on rehab and play. He has 30 days of rehab assignment, so assuming he's sent to Buffalo for rehab assignment on September 8 (one day after the Bisons' season ends), he'd be eligible to play all of September on rehab assignment (all of the Bisons' playoffs) and still be eligible to be called up at the end of the MLB season and placed on the playoff roster. That's not how it will go, he'll probably be sent to Dunedin for 10-15 days to get his arm strength up a bit in the warm weather, go to NH/Buffalo for 2 weeks and finish the last week or 2 in Toronto just to face some MLB batters out of the pen. If his arm strength is up enough come October to give you 5 innings, then maybe he joins the rotation, but by that point it's a 4-man rotation anyways, and I don't think you remove Estrada if he keeps up his play.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I doubt he'll be a starter, likely in the Pen. Playoff time you shorten the rotation and we have 4 starters pitching extremely well (guess who the other is ;)).

The starters are pitching well... and Marcus Stroman is still better than all but one of them. There are a lot of big questions marks about him, but if he's able to pitch at a level somewhere close to what we saw last year, you bump someone out and get him in.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Isn't that when the team started doing horribly? Let's put it this way it seems that for the first time in a long long time this team will be playing meaningful games in September, that will draw crowds no matter who they are playing.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Holy %#*! I didn't realize Tyler Duffey was making his first MLB start tn. The poor ******* has to face Tulo-Donaldson-Bautista-EE as his first four batters ever. God speed my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad