Every team's Most Crushing Losses

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
A somewhat lazy list but thanks for the effort.

Detroit losing the finals to Toronto after being up 3 games to 0 in 1942 is obviously the most crushing loss for the Red Wings.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Hawks -- the 2011 Game 7 loss to Vancouver hurt worse than the 2014 Game 7 loss to LA

Particularly since Sharp missed this -- still can't believe it -- minutes before to win it

ValidPracticalAmericangoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Dialamo

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I agree with hawks 2014 game 7, although 2011 canucks was just demoralizing on its own, the worst thing is that they clawed their way back from 0-3 to game 7 OT, i thought there was no way we could lose. Oh how paniful

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
yup the sharks at least have to consider the 3-0 reverse sweep vs LA as an alternative to 2016 SCF.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I agree with hawks 2014 game 7, although 2011 canucks was just demoralizing on its own, the worst thing is that they clawed their way back from 0-3 to game 7 OT, i thought there was no way we could lose. Oh how paniful
I honestly don't think that the 2011 loss hurt nearly as badly as 2014. 2014 was made 10x worse with the 2015 Cup win. Especially because it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that the winner of that game was going to demolish the Rangers. That close to a 3 peat, it is so painful to this day. Not to mention the refs missing Carter/Gaborik being blatantly offside on 2 of the 4 Kings goals scored in regulation, including the one that tied the game with 7 minutes left in regulation. It would be the most infuriating loss in an elimination game in recent NHL history, if not for Buffalo/Dallas '99. That one takes the cake. I really used to like the Stars at that time, and I can admit the Sabres got screwed on that one.

Reactions: kanetoews1988

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
1992 Rangers loss the Penguins hurts more. Messier’s first with the Rangers and they seemed destined after winning President’s trophy. Up 3-1 in game 4 up 2-1 then blowing it in the 3rd only to lose in OT. The infamous Ron Francis goal. Teams were starving to end the curse and it was smooth sailing to Cup if they got by Pittsburgh who eventually won the Cup. The win in 94 is the only reason most Ranger’s fans are at peace with that series but it stabbed us right in the heart.

I would think the Devils loss to Rangers in 94 game 7 in OT with the famous Matteau goal would sting. Even though they won the next year they would have loved to prolong their cross town rivals misery

1990 Jets is technically the Coyotes but I understand why you put that. This is more about the fans

Think Edmonton loss to Tampa was worse. Edmonton fans already tasted Stanley Cup victory in the two previous years in 86. 2006 would have been for a generation of fans that didn’t get to see their team hoist the Cup

Detroit Game 7 loss to Penguins I guess seems logical but the first round loss to 8th seeded Sharks was pretty devastating in 94

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Wasn't around in 1987, so I have to say losing in 2010 to Patrick Kane's goal in OT.

1) I don't think anyone realized he even scored until he was half-way down the rink celebrating
2) He was the #1 pick we should've gotten instead of stupid JVR at #2.

That hurt.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
For NJ I would say the most crushing loss would be Game 7 vs the Hurricanes in 09. Still can't get over that one.
That was the one where you were up by a goal with about a minute left then Carolina tied it then scored with 30 seconds left when everyone thought it was going to OT. I remember watching that game shocked by what happed.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Not necessarily. I doubt you'd find any Bruins fan who would say the 88 Finals sweep to Edmonton was worse than 79.

I would think the 1990 loss to the Gretzky-less Oilers or 1991 conference final loss to Pittsburgh after being up in the series. You had to lose to Ulf and there was no doubt you would have beat the North Stars

Last edited:

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
The Calgary Flame's most crushing loss was actually game 6 in 2004 against Tampa.. you know, when that one player scored that one goal.. that was called not a goal..

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
In response to the Bruins posts, the worst loss in team history bar none is the ‘79 loss to Montreal.

The 88 loss to the Oilers isn’t the worst because they were clearly the better team, not a hated rival, and the series wasn’t close at all. The Bruins would be lucky to win two of ten if they played that many. The Bruins were a very good team. But the Oilers were better.

The Bruins were better in 90 against the Oilers, but after game 1, the Bruins never really recovered. Although they won Game 3, all the other factors from the above paragraph apply.

The Bruins choke against the Flyers in 2010 is never talked about by anyone I know. Although the Flyers aren’t well liked by any stretch of the imagination around here, they aren’t close to being as despised as the Canadiens are. The Bruins swept the Flyers the very next season, and won the Stanley Cup. That took a lot of the sting out of it. The 2010 choke is a footnote around here.

The 79 Game 7 loss to Montreal is right up there with - but just behind - Game 6 of the 86 World Series and Super Bowl XLII in the pantheon of Boston sports heartbreak.

A bitter hated rival on the ropes in Game 7 and the game almost won. At the Montreal Forum - the Bruins personal torture chamber. A trip to the Finals on the line to face a team the Bruins owned all year. The Bruins hadn’t defeated Montreal in the playoffs since 1943. Too many men. A power play goal to tie it, and a loss in overtime. All the ingredients for a real crusher.

By far the worst loss in Bruins history.

If anyone can think of a worse loss in Boston Bruins history - keep it to yourself. I don’t want to hear about it.

Reactions: Number8

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not necessarily. I doubt you'd find any Bruins fan who would say the 88 Finals sweep to Edmonton was worse than 79.
I also find our 2016 and 2018 ECF game 7 losses more crushing than the 2015 SCF game 6 loss. Think we would've had waaay bettee chances against the Sharks and the Knights than the Hawks.

Yea and of course the 2011 ECF gane 7 against the Bruins.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wings losing game 7 at home to the Pens in 2009, after being up 2-0 and 3-2 in the series. I know this seems salty, but I truly think if the Wings didn’t have 3/4 of their best players playing hurt (Datsyuk 1 goal in 16 games, Hossa torn rotator cuff, and Lidstrom literally playing with a torn scrotum, in addition to Franzen gaving concussion issues), the Wings would have repeated.

They still outscored the Pena heavily in the series, and I truly think the NHL was very worried we were going to sweep them so instructed the refs to let things in Game 3 go. The Pens literally played with 6 players for 30+ seconds and the refs even noticed, but instead of calling the penalty, were told to “get off”. Seriously. I don’t see how any neutral fan can rewatch that game and say with a straight face there wasn’t favortisn.

Edit: to be fair, the pens have an argument for having Malkin hurt in 2008, though not as severe

Last edited:

Hooby Dooby Doo

Jun 6, 2018
Trocheck was tripped in Game 6 against the Islanders. I don't know if Florida would have won game 7, but only to have Tavares come down and score 30 seconds later and win in OT probably hurt the most.

Close second was Henriques 2OT goal in Game 7. Considering the chances Florida had. between the devils and islanders series we lost 5 games in Overtime

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Well the Red Wings have won cups recently. The Canucks never have. That likely makes a huge difference.

Very true. If I were a Canucks fan, I would have been heartbroken in 2011. Despite being happy the Bruins won, I did feel bad for the Vancouver fans.

That’s the crappy thing about sports... someone has to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad