"Every Shift" Series

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Interestingly, from the video, Kyle tried trading up (with Washington) to 8thOA to draft Moore.

That means they had Moore ranked ahead of Leonard which surprises me.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Interestingly, from the video, Kyle tried trading up (with Washington) to 8thOA to draft Moore.

I saw in it they said "Billy's out?!" Which would imply Bill Armstrong from the Yotes. Probably tried to get either #6 or #12 for #19 and #41 but ol' Billy said it wasn't enough.

Reactions: TLEH and Dead Meat

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

Are we sure it was to draft Moore at that time though? Maybe they liked someone else at 8th and Moore at 12th, and the montage made it look like it was Moore all along.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Are we sure it was to draft Moore at that time though? Maybe they liked someone else at 8th and Moore at 12th, and the montage made it look like it was Moore all along.
Davidson made it clear since the draft they were trying to trade up to get Moore. No other names have been dropped in connection with the Hawks trying to trade. My assumption is that Moore was the sole target of Davidson in a trade scenario.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What a great episode. I definitely think they were trying to get to that 12 spot with the Coyotes. The only other Bills are Zito and Guerin. Florida didnt have a pick and Minnesota was at 21. Arizona might have been able to get But and an extra 2nd at our 19.

Although I am not sure we wouldnt have grabbed Benson if we got to 12. He fits the mold and seemed to be higher projected the Moore.

Either way it seems like getting Moore there was a fantastic surprise.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
I saw in it they said "Billy's out?!" Which would imply Bill Armstrong from the Yotes. Probably tried to get either #6 or #12 for #19 and #41 but ol' Billy said it wasn't enough.
If they tried going all the way up to 6 you'd have to imagine Michkov was the target. Could they really have had Moore as high as 6 & ahead of Michkov? I know they really love the kid but that would be very surprising.

Probably more likely they were going after #12

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I"f Every Shifts our new mantra,then Every Shift when S Jones is on the ice is a disaster waiting to happen...no conception about the idea of defending properly..

• Haha
Reactions: Muffinalt

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
S.Jonesis -93 over last 3 seasons..There is mo wY he is a goiod defender in the d-zo .e..His on ice agaibst per 60 minutes is 4 ...4 goals per 60 every 60 minutes he plays ...Simply terrible..No stats back hom up that he should be lauded as a 1D in the d-zone..

At evens the offensive goals for for the team when on shift with you should mitigate and lower the negative stats of the plus minus...But he has not bernenough of an offensive contributor to mitigate those devasting negative plus minus stats anywhere close to ?Eric whoch would be a measure of just average NEH...Hevis nit even MEH level!!!
He is terrible and has no co certain of how to defend properly...but he excelksxT wYchi g goals fly i to our net...He is very goid at that.

I cannot understand anyone who drfens him GIbst criticism of his defending mistakes and flaws.ESPECIALY given his 1D status and whopping $9.5million per year cobtract..We expect a lot better difference-making and net usefulness from sich a co tract and 1D level status player.

Why does he not break up more plays entering gbour zone..Why is his gao co tril off so much?How cone he does not stick on guys to finish he ksdts and let's them get awY to score so mich on us?Why does he pose focus and meet horrible positioning decisions..Rrivibg kate if he leaves position to go chase...or making the mistake of leaving position at the wrong times?Why is he so confused ipswich offs?Why is he not aware lof loose pucks in the slot in front of our net.He has no instinct for defending g in thecd-zo e..thT hS been my eye test and the stats with horrible plus minus substantiate what my eyes have seen.

I have.e sId many times...Mobe hom to forward and just let his athleticism play out with that..I think he is a threT of just left to attackand not have to worry about all those reads and positioning items and finishing checks items that a quality dman must do to succeed indefendibg the d-zo e well.

I do not hage S.Jones..I just think he has no ability to be a goid defending dman.. He us mis-posirioned...Should be a forward and let free to just attack a lit more..Not that he can finish ..but at least the threat of him thing mire pucks into the o-zone and Tracking as a si ger will keep the opps back on their zo e more ...This will be winni g by a science...Absent from our blueline maybe we put somebody who actually has the instincts to defend our d-zo e properly to the his place with the minutes played by our 1d..Thevvombo of that guy who can defend better plus S.Jones let free to just Track with the puck willcombi e tossed abstract net goL differential result.T the very least it may approach MEH level..but that is a lot better than the putrid negative level S.Jones keeps putting us in when he is on shift as a dman.

So I do not hate S Jones...just feel he is miscast .

His bestxattribute is wasted trying to defend our zone...because he simply stinks at it.So instead use what he does best to accentuate those abilities by moving hom up to winger.
If you keep trying to put a square oeg into a round hole...it never works.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
S.Jonesis -93 over last 3 seasons..There is mo wY he is a goiod defender in the d-zo .e..His on ice agaibst per 60 minutes is 4 ...4 goals per 60 every 60 minutes he plays ...Simply terrible..No stats back hom up that he should be lauded as a 1D in the d-zone..

Some days I just don't have the energy to slog through a long fiddy post - this is one of those days. Fortunately, the first sentence is enough to evoke a comment without further context.

Speaking of context - using the +/- statistic to evaluate a player requires context to be of any use at all. The main point of context is the team around him. In Jones' case, the team around him was terrible. While Jones was -93 over the past 3 years (2020/21 with Columbus and the last 2 with the Hawks) - his teams were -219.

Another bit of context is Jones would most of the time be matched against the opponent's best line while being paired with a defensive partner that was not very good defensively. It often times looked like Jones was caught out of position in his own end - yeah, that happens when you need to try to cover for your partner's shortcomings.

OK - despite all that - he's got a contract that is probably not moveable so he's going to be here for the foreseeable future so what's the point of whining about him?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yes it was Bill Armstrong, only other Billy would be Guerin and that wouldnt make sense with their pick. So it was Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad