Speculation: Evander Kane

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Eklund Reports?

This means Yzerman didn't have any contact with WPG about Kane at all.

Seriously Todd were do you get all These rumors from, cause I highly doubt we are looking for anything more. We had a winning team last year and improved all out weaknesses. I don't want Yzerman to mix up this team anymore. It's generally not good To mix up too much.
Like Robert said it's getting ugly fast with Kane and the jets I'd be surprised to see him on the jets next year. I see him getting traded to tampa or Montreal. Montreal will push hard on this one for sure. Jacko it's called rumors I'm not saying tampa will get him but knowing Stevie yzerman he called to get the price! Steve has been aggressive this offseason! It would not surprise me to see him make a good offer. He offered the best deal to the panthers for the 1st draft pick. The Kane price would be less then what he offered there.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
TBF Eklund also called a couple of deals before anybody else. Wasn't it him who called the Mike Richards to LA and Simon Gagne to TBL trades?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Eklund Reports?

This means Yzerman didn't have any contact with WPG about Kane at all.

Seriously Todd were do you get all These rumors from, cause I highly doubt we are looking for anything more. We had a winning team last year and improved all out weaknesses. I don't want Yzerman to mix up this team anymore. It's generally not good To mix up too much.

THE BOLDED I DONT LIKE TO CALL PEOPLE OUT

But until you show us you have access to stevies phone history? I will call bull!!

Second bolded part? If Steve Yzerman thinks he is bettering the team he will do that. I wouldnt fall in love with many guys even now. I have warned you all. We will lose some guys we like still. Moves most of us will disagree with.

Maybe im wrong but I don't figure to be. Stevie is going for it. All in whatever it takes any time he thinks he is making this team better he will do that. Whether is a favorite guy or a favorite prospect. So far everyone is loving what he has done etc.. I would say we will have our conacher and tokarski moves though people so just get used to it and deal with it. Hopefully their vision? Is better than us playing GM. :)

I get everyone wants to say bad things on Eklund but at times he is correct like this week twice for nashville etc.. he also had some stuff on what Steve was doing with Iglinia and the other stuff before anyone else. So I would say he does have a source close to inside of us as good as anyone else except bobby mac.

Kane is a player that we would covet imo. He is style we would like age we would like size aggressiveness etc..

Worst case scenario? Kane is what WE HOPE WE GET OUT OF SOME OF OUR GUYS

IE: killorn, connolly, panik or kucherov etc..

Kane at his worst so far is upgrade to all of them and a little extra.

I personally believe stevie would make this call. He is what we hope Erne becomes. We don't have other guys like him except callahan the next guys are lower line guys which we just added one who is close to retirement or on his last legs and another who will not play above line 3.

I think kucherov pans out. The other guys? Erne I hope for but I would take evander kane every day of the week as our sixth guy over any other choices we have in the fold right now no question.

That also allows us to move johnson back down where I truly want him especially when drouin is ready to move up etc.. Drouin stamkos kane sounds pretty fantastic to me

drouin stamkos kane
filppula palat callahan
johnson kucherov killorn/connolly
boyle morrow panik/brown

P.S. I promise you all this one thing. I dont know everything NOR DO I CLAIM TO KNOW EVERYTHING. Yet have watched stevie his entire pro life and have watched bowman etc.. for just as long. I have stated stevie is going all in and for it. He has one gear.

This is why I have said stevie is not done? Reasoning is simple he doesnt want a rookie line. He feels we can get there to the top right now so if the right deals come along he will PULL THE TRIGGER again and again!! I get we all like what we have but as said I do not feel we are done yet.

Even if we did say add evander kane? I doubt that is last move of the year.

I am just saying hold your socks this might just be the beginning ? Maybe he will take a break for a bit. Yet I wouldnt count on it.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Kane is a LW, can he play RW too? I would love to have him on the team. His skill and talent aside he would provide a nice combination of speed and grit. The question is, what will it take to acquire him? And what are we willing to part with? Is one of Kucherov or Connolly plus pick(s) already enough? If so, pull the trigger!

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Kane is a LW, can he play RW too? I would love to have him on the team. His skill and talent aside he would provide a nice combination of speed and grit. The question is, what will it take to acquire him? And what are we willing to part with? Is one of Kucherov or Connolly plus pick(s) already enough? If so I hope we go for it!

I agree on the LW thing is what I questioned but the style? Him having 5 years in league? Him already showing pretty much a bad year is gonna get you 0.5 play with over 20 goals.

All of our guys look good but none have shown the capabilities to do that

IE: the connolly's kucherov's etc..

I think nothing happens for now but if Kane says those words I want out or if the jets decide the distraction is enough? That is when I could see us really push. Right now there is a lot a of smoke. Sometimes IE: Smoke ::: Kesler means fire:)

I personally am unsure right now. My news from people in jets land say he has never asked out. So does management want him gone? He did have the game they benched him and actually scratched him etc.. and put that in public last year. That was pretty ugly. Seems like things are heating up again for whatever reason? Healthy scratch got big publicity. Coach taking control which is sometimes a good thing sometimes it can become a really bad thing!! an example? Marty snub!!

So right now I would say they are looking for a seguin return but if kane gets pissed or they get pissed? Who knows what he can be gotten for. If a guy demands a trade the return becomes a lot less usually.

From what I understood drouin played power play on right side a lot? so really on left side we have palat than our centers stamkos and johnson both like playing on left side I thought. Even though tyjo does a decent job on the right side:). Killorn is a lefty but I really dont want killer in our top six myself. So am sure could be worked out somehow.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
THE BOLDED I DONT LIKE TO CALL PEOPLE OUT

But until you show us you have access to stevies phone history? I will call bull!!

Second bolded part? If Steve Yzerman thinks he is bettering the team he will do that. I wouldnt fall in love with many guys even now. I have warned you all. We will lose some guys we like still. Moves most of us will disagree with.

Maybe im wrong but I don't figure to be. Stevie is going for it. All in whatever it takes any time he thinks he is making this team better he will do that. Whether is a favorite guy or a favorite prospect. So far everyone is loving what he has done etc.. I would say we will have our conacher and tokarski moves though people so just get used to it and deal with it. Hopefully their vision? Is better than us playing GM. :)

I get everyone wants to say bad things on Eklund but at times he is correct like this week twice for nashville etc.. he also had some stuff on what Steve was doing with Iglinia and the other stuff before anyone else. So I would say he does have a source close to inside of us as good as anyone else except bobby mac.

Kane is a player that we would covet imo. He is style we would like age we would like size aggressiveness etc..

Worst case scenario? Kane is what WE HOPE WE GET OUT OF SOME OF OUR GUYS

IE: killorn, connolly, panik or kucherov etc..

Kane at his worst so far is upgrade to all of them and a little extra.

I personally believe stevie would make this call. He is what we hope Erne becomes. We don't have other guys like him except callahan the next guys are lower line guys which we just added one who is close to retirement or on his last legs and another who will not play above line 3.

I think kucherov pans out. The other guys? Erne I hope for but I would take evander kane every day of the week as our sixth guy over any other choices we have in the fold right now no question.

That also allows us to move johnson back down where I truly want him especially when drouin is ready to move up etc.. Drouin stamkos kane sounds pretty fantastic to me

drouin stamkos kane
filppula palat callahan
johnson kucherov killorn/connolly
boyle morrow panik/brown

P.S. I promise you all this one thing. I dont know everything NOR DO I CLAIM TO KNOW EVERYTHING. Yet have watched stevie his entire pro life and have watched bowman etc.. for just as long. I have stated stevie is going all in and for it. He has one gear.

This is why I have said stevie is not done? Reasoning is simple he doesnt want a rookie line. He feels we can get there to the top right now so if the right deals come along he will PULL THE TRIGGER again and again!! I get we all like what we have but as said I do not feel we are done yet.

Even if we did say add evander kane? I doubt that is last move of the year.

I am just saying hold your socks this might just be the beginning ? Maybe he will take a break for a bit. Yet I wouldnt count on it.

Very good points Robert indeed! At some point in time people after 4 or 7 years however long! Steve yzerman was going to go all in and that time he feels is now. If he can get a fair deal for evander Kane I think he will pull the trigger. Will we get Kane or others idk ? But I know this steve yzerman and his staff are trying to wake up every day and see if they can improve are team. Steve is going for the Stanley cup it's clear if evander Kane helps speed us up to the cup then I'd guess he would pull the trigger for him. People freaked when he traded conacher for bishop and people will freak out again when he moves other prospects. If steve feels Kane is a core piece he will try and get him. All I know is we are not done steve is building a finished product now! One thing is for sure is evander Kane is moving from Winnipeg! Where we don't know. One thing eklund said is if tampa wants Kane they do have the prospects that Winnipeg has strong interest in. What we do know is steve called them to see what they wanted.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
SY will only do the deal if it makes sense. He won't just trade for someone just because he's a good player and is available.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
TBF Eklund also called a couple of deals before anybody else. Wasn't it him who called the Mike Richards to LA and Simon Gagne to TBL trades?

He's got good sources with the Flyers, tho. He used to work for them and probably still maintains some kind of relationship with people there.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
SY will only do the deal if it makes sense. He won't just trade for someone just because he's a good player and is available.

Steve is going to do things the fans don't really like to make this team a long term cup contender. Is he going to go nuts in deals no but he understands for a player like evander Kane what the trade price is.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Steve is going to do things the fans don't really like to make this team a long term cup contender. Is he going to go nuts in deals no but he understands for a player like evander Kane what the trade price is.

Speaking of "unpopular" trades and market price tags. Trading TyJo (+X?) for Kane would fall into this category. Given our depth at C would this work?

Palat - Stamkos - Killorn (playmaker, shooter, boards/net)
Kane - Filppula - Callahan (shooter, playmaker, boards/net)
Panik - Drouin - Connolly/Kucherov (boards/net, playmaker, shooter)
Morrow/Paquette - Boyle - Brown (energy)

Of course you could switch Killorn and Drouin, or move up Brown etc.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Speaking of "unpopular" trades and market price tags. Trading TyJo (+X?) for Kane would fall into this category. Given our depth at C would this work?

Palat - Stamkos - Killorn
Kane - Filppula - Callahan
Panik - Drouin - Connolly
Morrow - Boyle - Brown

I really do not think stevie will move stamkos or hedman.

Than is questionable but I truly believe he will not move the other guys flipper tyjo or drej unless is serious upgrade. We are talking top players. Evander Kane though a good player proven is not in that category.

I dont think steve would do marleau for tyjo drej drouin types either. Not even as part of the packages. He has other options and one is to walk away.

If we move for guys or other guys? Steve will have a home run. We might lose someone we really like IE me losing kucherov but guys who have proven to be 0.5 or better rookie of year candidates drej and tyjo? I dont see many deals stevie would look at myself.

Killorn for kane? That makes sense you add some picks you make a deal. Also think vladdy moves before say tyjo also. Tyjo has shown he can play center at 3rd line but also can play wing or center on first. We would move other guys first. We have a lot of guys coveted by other franchises. Tyler is not perfect but made it through the year even with his size and showed he belongs plus 23 10 pp points and 6 short handed points 50 total was a very good year for him. Get he is older rookie but he really was solid so without an upgrade to his position dont see him available myself.

Also is a lot of teams out there that like a killorn and think more highly of our prospects than we probably even do. Also keep in mind tyjo was first guy they signed rfa or otherwise after his us camp play stuff. That impresses me how much they like his game. He is a solid little guy for sure. First guy to get into a tussle too haha.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Just to be clear: I'm aware of Johnson's talent, performance, production, flexibility and of course popularity. That's why I picked him as a piece in this most likely very unpopular but hypothetical trade. ;)

Trading Johnson (or anybody else) aside, I do think we could very well be in the race for Kane. Reportedly Yzerman was in on Iginla until the very end. Iginla is a gritty goal scorer and Kane is exactly that - but much younger.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He's got good sources with the Flyers, tho. He used to work for them and probably still maintains some kind of relationship with people there.

Eklund does seem to have an in with the Flyers, but I'm mixed up with what backstory he's going with now and if he's actually worked for a team or not.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Just to be clear: I'm aware of Johnson's talent, performance, production, flexibility and of course popularity. That's why I picked him as a piece in this most likely very unpopular but hypothetical trade. ;)

Trading Johnson (or anybody else) aside, I do think we could very well be in the race for Kane. Reportedly Yzerman was in on Iginla until the very end. Iginla is a gritty goal scorer and Kane is exactly that - but much younger.

I do agree if kane is moved we could be in the forefront for a move for him.

just dont see moving tyjo for just kane alone. I could see tyjo moving for a jaden schwartz? a Jamie benn? a joe pavelski? a patty sharpe?

those types? Yeah I could see a tyjo move. An upgrade type that is bigger more physical better scorer something.

Kane is just not up to that level. If he had done more in the 5 years than the half year and his 30 goal year every year is another story.

Now if was some monster trade like byfuglien and kane? Yeah can see carle tyjo moving out for something like that. The risk reward would become a lot lower in that scenario. Kane just has too many questions and think is more off ice than on at this point and he has inconsistent questions on ice.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
It’s though being a fan, you get attached to players no matter how much you keep telling yourself that you shouldn’t…I blame the teams though for all the videos and pics they post of the players that makes you love them, it’s just though. I do believe that Steve will do what he and Cooper and some others feel is best for the team even I’m not so sure about Kane but since he is in a very similar situation as MSL was with us before (though Kane haven’t demanded a trade to only one specific team) but if the situation there is getting as toxic as it was here maybe their price will go down or at least SFY might be able to work his magic to get the best deal done that won’t wound up costing us too much.

I also wouldn’t feel right about trading Tyjo after everything he have done this season and I know that it’s business but I don’t ever feel right about signing someone to a brand new contract and get them all excited about continuing with their club and also in TyJo’s case getting to play with his best friend only to trade them before the season even starts (he’s also very young and with the talent he have that could also be bad for his confidence). But I’m not GM and I know that it’s all business, it would just suck that’s all.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Blind_squirrel_by_zombieduck.jpg

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
I really do not think stevie will move stamkos or hedman.

Than is questionable but I truly believe he will not move the other guys flipper tyjo or drej unless is serious upgrade. We are talking top players. Evander Kane though a good player proven is not in that category.

I dont think steve would do marleau for tyjo drej drouin types either. Not even as part of the packages. He has other options and one is to walk away.

If we move for guys or other guys? Steve will have a home run. We might lose someone we really like IE me losing kucherov but guys who have proven to be 0.5 or better rookie of year candidates drej and tyjo? I dont see many deals stevie would look at myself.

Killorn for kane? That makes sense you add some picks you make a deal. Also think vladdy moves before say tyjo also. Tyjo has shown he can play center at 3rd line but also can play wing or center on first. We would move other guys first. We have a lot of guys coveted by other franchises. Tyler is not perfect but made it through the year even with his size and showed he belongs plus 23 10 pp points and 6 short handed points 50 total was a very good year for him. Get he is older rookie but he really was solid so without an upgrade to his position dont see him available myself.

Also is a lot of teams out there that like a killorn and think more highly of our prospects than we probably even do. Also keep in mind tyjo was first guy they signed rfa or otherwise after his us camp play stuff. That impresses me how much they like his game. He is a solid little guy for sure. First guy to get into a tussle too haha.

If Stamkos wants to go to Toronto or if he wants 20% of payroll he may have to trade Stamkos

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I don't see this happening.

However, it seems that Yzerman's moves tend to involve moving players that were part of the organization prior to his hire. That being said, the only players left that aren't Yzerman's include:

Stamkos (unlikely)
Hedman (unlikely)
Panik
Killorn
Connolly (to an extent)

Kane does seem like his type of player, but I don't believe we have the cap room or assets that SFY would be willing to move.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't see this happening.

However, it seems that Yzerman's moves tend to involve moving players that were part of the organization prior to his hire. That being said, the only players left that aren't Yzerman's include:

Stamkos (unlikely)
Hedman (unlikely)
Panik
Killorn
Connolly (to an extent)

Kane does seem like his type of player, but I don't believe we have the cap room or assets that SFY would be willing to move.

Yeah, the issue with acquiring Kane is it would require a cap-dump move to go with whatever we give up to acquire him. It would also take away some of our longer term cap flexibility. As was mentioned earlier, by Garmonbozia (great post by the way), Brewer's money comes off the books after this year, and we likely have that worked into our plans.

I'm not sure that this does fit what Yzerman's been looking to do though. Look at the two other guys we were heavily rumored to be trying to acquire: Iginla and Marleau. Look at the guy we actually acquired: Morrow. All over 30, and all considered character guys. The highest quality. Aside from just skill, it looks to me like Yzerman was/is looking to mix some experience and leadership into our group. I don't know how wise it would be to mix a guy with a history of team-issues in with a group dominated by 21-25 year-olds.

I don't doubt Yzerman made a call about Kane and asked for the price. It seems like he does due diligence on every player whose name comes up. And when those players play for big media teams, rumors tend to follow. Remember the Spezza rumor?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
There were rumors out there that the lightning showed interest in evander Kane today. Would you want him on the lightning ? If yes what would you give up for him if you are steve yzerman ?

I have never heard this, I have been following Tampa Bay for ages. I have never heard of any rumors out there linking Evander Kane to Tampa Bay the only one I've heard of lately was possibly a Patrick Marleau deal to Tampa Bay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad