Speculation: Evander Kane

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
There were rumors out there that the lightning showed interest in evander Kane today. Would you want him on the lightning ? If yes what would you give up for him if you are steve yzerman ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There were rumors out there that the lightning showed interest in evander Kane today. Would you want him on the lightning ? If yes what would you give up for him if you are steve yzerman ?

Not at the price WPG was asking as of a month or two ago.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
We would have to move some salary to fit him under the cap. If we did get him he would probably play on Stamkos' wing but I'm not sure who we would move to get him that would meet what Winnipeg wants.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We would have to move some salary to fit him under the cap. If we did get him he would probably play on Stamkos' wing but I'm not sure who we would move to get him that would meet what Winnipeg wants.
If you trade them Killorn and Connolly and then dump brewer to another team! The math works then.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I really hope that it was just Yzerman asking and not something that he would actually consider because I can't see who this team would want to lose to get him. Now I don't dislike Kane, he's a good player but if the Bolts were to add someone else they should focus on someone older with a bit more experience, besides I've heard that he have a bit of an attitude and adding that to a team with so many young guys could have a negative effect on them, but we'll see though, I wouldn't do it at this point but really, what do I konw.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd do Killorn, Connolly and a draft pick for him, Kane right now is probably what we hope either of those guys will be at their peak.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Don't they dislike him in Winnipeg? I'm sure there's a reason for that.

They have not been able to make the playoffs and a lot of them blame Kane. Canada fans can run there star players out of town. But as a locker room guy with Kane I don't know? I have heard rumors he is a bad locker room guy. But him coming to tampa he does not have to be a leader just needs to fit in.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Pass on him. We have enough as it is to where we don't have to make this move. If you wanna give us Toby Enstrom that's a different story.

Now that is something I would do as well, Enström is really good and someone we could actually use + you really can't have to many Swedish d-men, at least when they are as good as them.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa

Link? The kids a wrecking ball. I'd love to have him but the price will prove to be too much in the end.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If you trade them Killorn and Connolly and then dump brewer to another team! The math works then.

The problem with that is we'd be all in on Barberio as a #6 this year, meaning, if he struggles? Too bad. You're stuck with him. Brewer as a bottom pairing guy is pretty much perfect. I would only move Brewer if we had 2-3 options to gamble on.

Moving Killorn is acceptable, but there's risk there too, because it could take us back a step in terms of grit. Killorn's value is versatility. He's great as a third line guy but a solid option for scoring line duty if the need arises. I'd still be willing to involve him in a trade for Kane, but we could miss him more than we realize.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They have not been able to make the playoffs and a lot of them blame Kane. Canada fans can run there star players out of town. But as a locker room guy with Kane I don't know? I have heard rumors he is a bad locker room guy. But him coming to tampa he does not have to be a leader just needs to fit in.

There's definitely more to it than missing the playoffs. Kane's attitude is questionable at best, and it's beginning to seem a lot like a smoke/fire situation. Buyer beware. He could be a Tyler Seguin or he could be Sean Avery (in terms of attitude adjustment, not skill or style).

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
The problem with that is we'd be all in on Barberio as a #6 this year, meaning, if he struggles? Too bad. You're stuck with him. Brewer as a bottom pairing guy is pretty much perfect. I would only move Brewer if we had 2-3 options to gamble on.

Moving Killorn is acceptable, but there's risk there too, because it could take us back a step in terms of grit. Killorn's value is versatility. He's great as a third line guy but a solid option for scoring line duty if the need arises. I'd still be willing to involve him in a trade for Kane, but we could miss him more than we realize.

You're forgetting Sustr.

Sustr-Gudas
Barberio

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If you can get evander Kane for Killorn and Connolly I'd say pull the trigger. I feel that Killorn and Connolly are going to get pushed out by Erne and vladdy anyway sooner or later. With koekkoek sustr barberio I don't have a issue dumping brewers money. I'd say are future core is Val Callahan stamkos palat Johnson drouin kucherov vladdy Erne these are guys I would not move out.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wonder about yzerman maybe the sharks want evander Kane! Maybe he trades for Kane then flips him for Patrick marleau ?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wonder about yzerman maybe the sharks want evander Kane! Maybe he trades for Kane then flips him for Patrick marleau ?

That's a terrible idea. Kane is much younger and not that far off from being a better player. Plus we can't even fit Kane under the cap as is let alone trading him for someone making almost 1.5mil more.

Can't see us making any type of deals for a big name player, we simply don't have the capspace. That damn Gagner retention is killing us. I wouldn't want to trade what it would take anyway but it could be possible if we had more caproom.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Isn't Garrison generally thought to be better on the right though?

Funny you should mention that. From the trade thread on our boards about the Garrison deal...

He'll play the right side for us.

And the contract is going to look pretty sweet after Tuesday. 4.6 for a top four is going to be excellent.

He looked much more comfortable on the left side for us, so I'm not sure playing him on the right is the best idea.

Not to say that one canuck fan is the end all be all on what Garrison can do. I do think Garrison was brought in to be a top 4 defenseman on the right side of Hedman or Carle and shifting him to the left puts us right back where we were before getting Stralman, needing to have Sustr or Gudas in the top4. Garrison has experience playing right side, and probably prefers being on the right when shooting (wider angles on net), but, typically the preference of having defensemen playing the side of their handedness is because it makes playing D (which IS their primary responsibility) easier.

I don't think Yzerman looks to move Brewer, he's probably already earmarked that expiring deal to covering re-signings next offseason. If he was going after Kane I would have to think Flip or Carle were the salary aspects going the other way. I don't think Winnepeg would want Carle+ for Kane, and I don't think there is a fan among us that wants to trade Flip+ for Kane.

Kane does seem to fit the mold of a Jon Cooper type of player though.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Funny you should mention that. From the trade thread on our boards about the Garrison deal...

Not to say that one canuck fan is the end all be all on what Garrison can do. I do think Garrison was brought in to be a top 4 defenseman on the right side of Hedman or Carle and shifting him to the left puts us right back where we were before getting Stralman, needing to have Sustr or Gudas in the top4. Garrison has experience playing right side, and probably prefers being on the right when shooting (wider angles on net), but, typically the preference of having defensemen playing the side of their handedness is because it makes playing D (which IS their primary responsibility) easier.

I don't think Yzerman looks to move Brewer, he's probably already earmarked that expiring deal to covering re-signings next offseason. If he was going after Kane I would have to think Flip or Carle were the salary aspects going the other way. I don't think Winnepeg would want Carle+ for Kane, and I don't think there is a fan among us that wants to trade Flip+ for Kane.

Kane does seem to fit the mold of a Jon Cooper type of player though.
Flipper and carle would not want to go to Winnipeg no one does. Great hockey town but do players want to live there ? So you would have to flip carle or brewer to another team. Next year are only big resigning is bishop the rest are Rfa tenders. Cap will go up to 74 or 75 I'd bet.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
per eklund off of hockeybuzz today we are one of four teams who have called on kane recently.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...s-Bolts-and-Preds-Hockeybuzzcast-at-1/1/61346

Stevie probably just wanted to see what they were looking for exactly.

I personally do not see a team giving up as much as was given up for tyler seguin. player 3 prospects is a bit much with evanders history bad history side on and off rink etc..

I also think this could worsen quickly and get ugly. Is a lot of bad blood it seems between evander and the jets etc...

If it gets ugly he truly says get me out or they truly want him out?

I could see us getting into the mix for real in this and quickly.

Stevie would figure out the money to get him if he wanted him. I like the guy myself very good energy hits all the time. Concerning is the injuries only one 30 goal season, 5 years in league I think ?, talk of distractions etc.. but is 22 and will give some doubts till know more.

Last edited:

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Eklund Reports?

This means Yzerman didn't have any contact with WPG about Kane at all.

Seriously Todd were do you get all These rumors from, cause I highly doubt we are looking for anything more. We had a winning team last year and improved all out weaknesses. I don't want Yzerman to mix up this team anymore. It's generally not good To mix up too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad