Rumor: Evander Kane Rumors

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
If Kane was a football player his issues would be considered minor and belichick would pick him up and turn him into the superstar he's talented enough to be. I'm not saying hes a great guy (I honestly don't know, never met him) and he does have I think 2 off ice incidents in his career although one was potentially completely made up, im not sure what makes his antics any different from seguin or the other Kane. And maybe he has grown up, this was his best season after all. Or maybe he hasn't. Low risk high reward. Like I said, he's good enough that I'd give up real assets to add him to the top 6

Pegula's plan is to move his contract over to the Bills. Kane is the perfect fit for the NFL. Guessing he would be a shoe in as a "slot" back. :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
While every player is different, some successful Bruins came to town with similar reputations. Middleton & Linesman, for example, weren't considered team first guys, if I recall correctly.

Both turned out to be solid guys and productive players.

Not saying Kane would do the same, but if the price were right, I'd like to think that;

1. the leadership here is strong enough to teach him the right way to be a pro

and

2. Kane and/or his handlers are smart enough to realize that given the reputation that the Bruins leadership has, this may be his last good chance to change his reputation.

different day and age IMO, and Kane has now played in this league for 8 years, if it walks like a duck.....

I`d be more lenient if Kane was a 2nd/3rd year player who`s still acting like a spoiled kid who feels he`s owed something but I haven`t heard one story about him bringing a positive attitude to the rink, not one. Yep, when he`s playing well, he`s a guy any team would love to have, but I wonder out loud how GM`s feel about him, I would bet many would think twice about trying to acquire a guy who at any time, could be a problem for an organization

IF you want to use a recent example of a guy who`s apparently changed his attitude it could be Kadri who, if not mistaken, only last year was suspended by his team but even then, I`m not sure he was half the locker room distraction Kane can be

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
different day and age IMO, and Kane has now played in this league for 8 years, if it walks like a duck.....

I`d be more lenient if Kane was a 2nd/3rd year player who`s still acting like a spoiled kid who feels he`s owed something but I haven`t heard one story about him bringing a positive attitude to the rink, not one. Yep, when he`s playing well, he`s a guy any team would love to have, but I wonder out loud how GM`s feel about him, I would bet many would think twice about trying to acquire a guy who at any time, could be a problem for an organization

IF you want to use a recent example of a guy who`s apparently changed his attitude it could be Kadri who, if not mistaken, only last year was suspended by his team but even then, I`m not sure he was half the locker room distraction Kane can be

Fair enough.

I just think that if the price is cheap, a 25 goal guy is worth a long, hard look.

With that being said, I'm not privy to the info that Sweeney and his team are, so if they don't feel it's worth it, I'll happily defer to them.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fair enough.

I just think that if the price is cheap, a 25 goal guy is worth a long, hard look.

With that being said, I'm not privy to the info that Sweeney and his team are, so if they don't feel it's worth it, I'll happily defer to them.

not sure a 25 goal scorer`s price tag would be inexpensive.

I dunno, I`d love another 25 goal scorer on this team, I just don`t want the headache, again, this coming year will be Kane`s 9th, his act is well documented and I just don`t think he brings the kind of character that Sweeney values

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
As always what has to go the other way in return? You never know what is out there if you close the door before the offers even come in.. I'd really like to see him here but not if we give up much more than prospects..

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

I'll bring this up again. The Bruins have been said to have great leaders on this team: Bergeron, Chara, now Backes, etc.

I'm not questioning their leadership at all. BUT if we have good leaders, let them lead, and see if they can use that to their advantage.

For the most part, buying low or finding a flawed player, in this case Kane's immaturity, might be the easier to acquire asset. Why not use our other assets (our teams leadership) to help reign that in. Kane has the talent. Talent that I would take over always take over less talented ideal-citizen players.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I'll bring this up again. The Bruins have been said to have great leaders on this team: Bergeron, Chara, now Backes, etc.

I'm not questioning their leadership at all. BUT if we have good leaders, let them lead, and see if they can use that to their advantage.

For the most part, buying low or finding a flawed player, in this case Kane's immaturity, might be the easier to acquire asset. Why not use our other assets (our teams leadership) to help reign that in. Kane has the talent. Talent that I would take over always take over less talented ideal-citizen players.

Problem is if Kane gets ahold of some of these young guys. Namely Pasta and McAvoy, but we have a whole host of young guys.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Buffalo would want a top 4 d-man for Kane. That is one of their needs and they are not going to trade a guy coming off a 28 goal season for some middling player and a prospect. It's not like they are trying to dump him off on some team at any cost.

Let's say he has indeed matured and will not have any future incidents with the law and is a model citizen in the room. He fits the need for a goal scoring wing. He is very good at even strength offensively. He plays an exciting style when he tries hard. He hits hard and can light up opponents on occasion. However, he is awful defensively. His net negative even strength numbers show that to some degree, but the eye test alone is enough to see how bad he can be defensively. He is injury prone and his style of play is only going to make his body break down sooner rather than later. If he dials his style of play back in order to save his body then he loses much of why a team would want him. The main thing for me though is that his hockey IQ is crap. He commits penalties at the worst times and makes boneheaded defensive mistakes that he shouldn't be making at this point in his career. Basically it seems like his negatives cancel out his strengths to the point that he is not a player the Bs should be giving up good young players for.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Buffalo would want a top 4 d-man for Kane. That is one of their needs and they are not going to trade a guy coming off a 28 goal season for some middling player and a prospect. It's not like they are trying to dump him off on some team at any cost.

Let's say he has indeed matured and will not have any future incidents with the law and is a model citizen in the room. He fits the need for a goal scoring wing. He is very good at even strength offensively. He plays an exciting style when he tries hard. He hits hard and can light up opponents on occasion. However, he is awful defensively. His net negative even strength numbers show that to some degree, but the eye test alone is enough to see how bad he can be defensively. He is injury prone and his style of play is only going to make his body break down sooner rather than later. If he dials his style of play back in order to save his body then he loses much of why a team would want him. The main thing for me though is that his hockey IQ is crap. He commits penalties at the worst times and makes boneheaded defensive mistakes that he shouldn't be making at this point in his career. Basically it seems like his negatives cancel out his strengths to the point that he is not a player the Bs should be giving up good young players for.

I don't necessarily think it would be anymore than a 1 year rental for Kane, especially considering the glut of wingers, especially LW, we have in the system. That's why to me, it's not worth really giving any major prospects or pieces for. Beleskey could find some similar production if he returns to form, and they'd be getting another piece, whether it's a pick or lower level prospect.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
While every player is different, some successful Bruins came to town with similar reputations. Middleton & Linesman, for example, weren't considered team first guys, if I recall correctly.

Both turned out to be solid guys and productive players.

Not saying Kane would do the same, but if the price were right, I'd like to think that;

1. the leadership here is strong enough to teach him the right way to be a pro

and

2. Kane and/or his handlers are smart enough to realize that given the reputation that the Bruins leadership has, this may be his last good chance to change his reputation.

Yes and for one year I take this gamble. If/when he acts up you put him on waivers and waive bye bye! This is a "contract year" is it not? For this fact alone (oh and he knocked out Cooke) I like it!
Play his fight with Cooke on the Jumbotron and let the Bruins loyal fans thank him with a standing ovation prior to his first game at the garden. Let him feel what it's like on an "original 6" team with tradition. Krejci needs a LW with attitude, muscle who will knock over anyone at a whim...that's him. The Bruins NEED a guy who can score with attitude and aggression, that's him! If he is a problem (as I said before) and a huge distraction, waive him or trade him. It would put a real kink in trying to get a significant contract the year after. We have nobody like him in our lineup or coming up so he fills a niche, a need. He's fast and mean, he can score and make room for David K.... need I say more!?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad