Player Discussion Evander Kane - Part II - (July 22 -Turns himself into BPD/charged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreness

Jul 22, 2016
My point is more the "chance" happening of TBN to be present. That remains fishy to me. How did they know to be there?
Understood, and that's the sole reason I checked back into this thread, specifically to say that if I misrepresented anyone's position by quoting them, I apologize.
I applaud your effort to speak in detail about this stuff. I'm a regular poster that doesn't have the time or mental energy to get too involved in correcting these misperceptions. I know the rat hole that can lead me down so I don't bother. I just rely on these topics staying closer to hockey instead. Take care.
Yeah, you're right, I should've kept my mouth shut. I usually do, but emotions got the better of me...
:handclap::handclap: thank you for the insight, friend. No need to be a stranger hockey related or otherwise. Be safe.
Thank you and I appreciate it. I'm surprised the early returns are positive, though I expect the onslaught to commence. I usually check in here every week or so to get this forum's take on the latest NHL/Sabres goings-on. That won't end. The hockey opinions and discussions are great. The LE ones, not so much.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Thank you for your post and your insights.

My only quibble is the assertion that some our posts are from people that know 'little to nothing about LE tactics'.

I spend a few years working EMS in the city of Buffalo, and northern suburbs. In the city, I worked primarily on the east side of the city, and overnights. We were very tight with the C district officers , slightly less so E.

I don't know what happens ing SF1980's department. I don't know what happens in other departments. But I can speak from direct observation about things I experienced and witnessed from the BPD.

So you can 'take issue' with my comments about handcuffing all you want. I respect your opinions, but I personally witnessed plenty of occasions where suspects arrested in Buffalo didn't get handcuffed for minor offenses. You can cite policy all you want, and that's great. But we all know there are policies, and there what really happens.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
My issue isn't the handcuffing... it's my belief most PD's do this as policy. It's doing a public surrender ...most i've seen where its a scheduled turn in for a high profile person it would be done behind closed doors

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
This is my dilemma.
If he stays out of trouble the rest of the way, and has a good start to the season, does Murray deal him at the deadline if there's a market by then?

Or does he keep him in hopes to "justify" the price he paid for the player?

Just curious on everyone's thoughts

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Understood, and that's the sole reason I checked back into this thread, specifically to say that if I misrepresented anyone's position by quoting them, I apologize.

Yeah, you're right, I should've kept my mouth shut. I usually do, but emotions got the better of me...
Thank you and I appreciate it. I'm surprised the early returns are positive, though I expect the onslaught to commence. I usually check in here every week or so to get this forum's take on the latest NHL/Sabres goings-on. That won't end. The hockey opinions and discussions are great. The LE ones, not so much.

Great posts thank you very much. I have zero knowledge of the law in the US and it really helps to have experienced people weigh in to give opinion. Much appreciated.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
My issue isn't the handcuffing... it's my belief most PD's do this as policy. It's doing a public surrender ...most i've seen where its a scheduled turn in for a high profile person it would be done behind closed doors

Perp walks are a thing. Law enforcement is usually heavily criticized for it, but they continue to do it. There are countless examples of individuals paraded in front of the media after being arrested, only to later have those charges dropped , but the individual's reputation is already smoked.

It's a load of hot garbage that this was done here, plain and simple.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
So, you think the BPD officer charged him on direct knowledge?

Makes him a good attorney. It's a valid question. He doesn't know for sure what statements were made, and by whom, which lead to the charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So, you think the BPD officer charged him on direct knowledge?

No. But it is possible he is relying on information from someone other than an employee of the bar, such as for example an eye witness customer. I didn't know if you were referring to some source I hadn't seen that stated with particularity the source of the trespass charge. Based on your response, I'm assuming the answer is no? And you're relying on intuition?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
And this is exactly why BPD made sure they let TBN know EK was coming down to surrender. Now they can run that photo for weeks every time they talk about him.

Disgusting.

How do you know Evander Kane even cares? You are putting your expectations of what you think should happen onto the situation. If Evander Kane wanted to he could have walked into a police station and surrendered. You are not informed about the situation but yet you draw conclusions assuming you know what happened.

Maybe I am wrong, do you know the people at the BPD, TBN or EK to know that is what happened? People spread stuff like this and have no idea how things really went down.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
How do you know Evander Kane even cares? You are putting your expectations of what you think should happen onto the situation. If Evander Kane wanted to he could have walked into a police station and surrendered. You are not informed about the situation but yet you draw conclusions assuming you know what happened.

Maybe I am wrong, do you know the people at the BPD, TBN or EK to know that is what happened? People spread stuff like this and have no idea how things really went down.

I don't care if EK cares. I care. You should care. People are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. No suspect should ever be paraded in front of the media for a photo op unless convicted of a crime. All of these charges could be dropped tomorrow and never see trial, yet now there's a photo of the guy getting cuffed on the sidewalk on the internet for the rest of his life. There was a case in the 90s that a suspect was arrested, and a few hours after he was booked, he was taken back outside, driven around the block, and perp walked AGAIN so another TV station could get their shot.

Do you think TBN 'just happened' to have a reporter and photog outside central booking when Kane is showing up with counsel to turn himself in, weeks after the incident in question? That wasn't an accident. They got tipped off, and they were there waiting It's an EXCEPTIONALLY common police tactic to do stuff like this for higher profile suspects, or when they're pissed that they couldn't nail a suspect on something else, and they get another crack at him.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@Sabreness-
Thanks for joining, thanks for your comments, corrections, and explanations, and thanks for the even-handed balance and tone. Always welcome here; much respect.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

This is what happens in today's "need to know right now" society. Everyone craves immediate information and jumps at the first bit of information they receive. Then they become an expert in that particular line of work.

Instead of waiting for all the information to come out and actually be able to report fully on something people go on any crumb of information, make an assumption as if it is the truth, and when the truth or result comes out, if it doesn't fit a person narrative, they spin it so that they don't seem THAT wrong.

Unfortunately we have today's current social media outlet to provide up to the second updates with zero context to feed people with incomplete information.

Especially in sports today, I ask people to just let it go. Regardless what happens I can promise you that it won't affect your life at all in the grand scheme of things. There are so many more important things to worry about than whether or not an athlete got in trouble.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Common sense would say that much, especially when it has to be shown he remained unlawfully in the building.

All it would have taken was a couple patrons (or even the alleged victims) to make a statement that they 'heard the bouncers tell EK to leave and he refused' to have enough for the charge. It would be exceptionally weak, but we already know that it's exceptionally weak.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
All it would have taken was a couple patrons (or even the alleged victims) to make a statement that they 'heard the bouncers tell EK to leave and he refused' to have enough for the charge. It would be exceptionally weak, but we already know that it's exceptionally weak.

It's going to be near impossible to convict him on the trespassing charge with the bar's owner and his legal team not cooperating and maintaining that he wasn't trespassing at any point.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
@Sabreness-
Thanks for joining, thanks for your comments, corrections, and explanations, and thanks for the even-handed balance and tone. Always welcome here; much respect.

He is almost on your level of multi quoting !

:D

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So let's see...a TBN reporter and photog just HAPPENED to be wandering by Central Booking when Kane came in? And standard procedure is to handcuff someone coming in voluntarily who is being charged with a misdemeanor from events weeks ago, and only provided an appearance ticket?

Please. TBN was tipped off. Someone wanted the perp shot. Completely out of line for this level of alleged offense, and for a suspect willingly turning himself in with counsel present.
Conspiracy Theories are FUN! Let's see.. hmm maybe Evander Kane told TBN that he was going to voluntarily turn himself in and told the BPD to handcuff him so he can gain some street cred. :naughty:

Speculation is funny but in all seriousness if I was a young budding reporter I would probably hangout in front of the police station waiting to catch a big story. You can either follow the cops to a location or get lucky and see someone notable turn themselves in. Wouldn't you?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Conspiracy Theories are FUN! Let's see.. hmm maybe Evander Kane told TBN that he was going to voluntarily turn himself in and told the BPD to handcuff him so he can gain some street cred. :naughty:

Speculation is funny but in all seriousness if I was a young budding reporter I would probably hangout in front of the police station waiting to catch a big story. You can either follow the cops to a location or get lucky and see someone notable turn themselves in. Wouldn't you?

A conspiracy theory? Don't you get that this sort of thing is commonly known to frequently happen? Your post sounds very naive. Hanging out in front of a police station to catch a big story would be a bad idea. How often are you going to find a big story doing that? Chances are probably never. You'd be lucky to find any story to write most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad