Confirmed with Link: Evan Fitzpatrick signs ELC

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
lol wut.

Fitz really needs another year of juniors, so unless we're planning on pulling him off that godawful Sherbrooke team and sending him to the ECHL, that's probably what will happen. His stats have been inconsistent and generally unimpressive this season, and in terms of shots/game he really isn't seeing that many more on average than any of the other goalies in our system. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Thank god. We were starting to get a little thin in our goalie depth after the loss of FeeOnyx. Hopefully they can get a couple more goalies into the organization because we're not set unless we're three-deep at every professional level. Armstrong's brilliance shines through once more.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois
giphy.gif

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think he is still gonna be playing in Juniors next season. He doesn't turn 20 until late Jan.

Exactly.

The reaction here is bizarre, it isn't like he is a college goalie and it means he is turning pro. This is a formality and he'll be back in the QMJHL next season. Just like Opilka being signed 2 years ago and being in the OHL for the past 2 seasons.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Lol why are people getting upset? Signing him doesn't change anything, he's not eligible to play in the AHL or ECHL. It's really just a formality.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I don't get why people are belittling this move. He's a junior player that won't have to leave junior hockey until after next season. Why would this be a bad idea again?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
lol wut.

Fitz really needs another year of juniors, so unless we're planning on pulling him off that godawful Sherbrooke team and sending him to the ECHL, that's probably what will happen. His stats have been inconsistent and generally unimpressive this season, and in terms of shots/game he really isn't seeing that many more on average than any of the other goalies in our system. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

He'll start in the ECHL once he's pro eligible.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think it is a little confusing in that we are now using 6 of our 50 contracts on goalies. I just can't see how we would have been in danger of losing him if we didn't sign him, so unless there is another factor in play here that I'm missing it doesn't really make sense to me to burn one of our 50 contracts on a guy this in-proven.

Edit: Just realized that he will still be 19 on December 31 so his contract will slide next year and not count against our 50 (we are currently at 47). Musil and Opilka will count after July 1, but Kyrou will not unless he makes the big club.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think it is a little confusing in that we are now using 6 of our 50 contracts on goalies. I just can't see how we would have been in danger of losing him if we didn't sign him, so unless there is another factor in play here that I'm missing it doesn't really make sense to me to burn one of our 50 contracts on a guy this in-proven.

Most teams have 5-6 goalies signed. It's just how the business works.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
One thing I haven't seen public is how much and who (NHL or team that drafted the player) makes the player development payments to CHL to cover the junior leagues. I always wondered if that played a factor in having junior players go ahead and sign their ELC.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Lol why are people getting upset? Signing him doesn't change anything, he's not eligible to play in the AHL or ECHL. It's really just a formality.

Don't think people upset. Just weird wasting one of 50 contracts on a guy that will still likely play in juniors next year.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Don't think people upset. Just weird wasting one of 50 contracts on a guy that will still likely play in juniors next year.

Probably just to give the kid some walking-around money in his pocket. This is a nothing transaction in the grand scheme of things...but still not something that seemed particularly pressing or anticipated. Good for Fitzpatrick I suppose. Armstrong just doing some house-keeping with our G-depth apparently.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Sad story for hockey Newfoundland

Really? Could you explain what you mean by that?

Well to Fitzpatrick's credit, he has a lot of tools that could make him into a fantastic goalie. There's his physical attributes, but he's also incredibly mobile and from what I've seen, his vision is superb for someone his age. The problem comes from his consistency, and for stat watchers, his numbers. However it's tough to say if he's playing poorly, or well honestly, unless you watch him live because his team is terrible.

I don't think it's a real concern that we signed him. Especially if he unload some of our other contracts a la Yakupov and Jaskin. But even if we don't, I don't think Fitz is going to be blocking some other signing in the future.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
He won't count against the 50 SPC limit until he turns 20.

Blues only have something like 33 SPC commitments for next year, anyway (filling out the NHL 23 man roster will take them to 35). They aren't hurting for contract space.

The signing was odd in the sense that it was out of the blue and there was no pressing reason to do it now, but if he was ready, there was no pressing reason not to, either.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What the hell are we doing? This only makes sense if they know for sure Hutton is gone and Binnington will be up. Even then, why take time away from Husso?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Forgot we could still send him back to juniors.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
What the hell are we doing? This only makes sense if they know for sure Hutton is gone and Binnington will be up. Even then, why take time away from Husso?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Forgot we could still send him back to juniors.
Fitzpatrick will not make the AHL club. He will probably stay in Jr another year, then probably a year in the ECHL. But if he does end up in the AHL next year, then I don't get this at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad