European Leagues/KHL Free Agents

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like him better than Duclair TBH,has that kinda abrasive way about him...Add in world class speed and I can see him being great 2nd.3rd line forward for us

I agree, completely. Love Formenton, and it’s been nice to see his game grow. I like when guys are able to excel in other aspects of the game to make themselves more useful to the team, and obviously stay in the NHL.

If he can continue to grow on the PK, beyond his 5v5 play, that will make him quite an important player for us for a long time.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
To be that guy in 2024/25. Window is going to start closing soon. We need guys now

Yes we need better players now; however, Melnyk and Dorion have not delivered better players now.

I think the only way we can get better players is via the draft because Melnyk will not spend the money in salaries to acquire better players now or in the next 2 years. However, I have no faith in Dorion as the GM for the draft based on the last draft.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree, completely. Love Formenton, and it’s been nice to see his game grow. I like when guys are able to excel in other aspects of the game to make themselves more useful to the team, and obviously stay in the NHL.

If he can continue to grow on the PK, beyond his 5v5 play, that will make him quite an important player for us for a long time.

I like Formenton a lot too. I would like the team more if we also had Duclair. Instead I have to watch the 3rd and 4th liners assembled by Dorion.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like Formenton a lot too. I would like the team more if we also had Duclair. Instead I have to watch the 3rd and 4th liners assembled by Dorion.

Not sure Duclair would be a fit in the bottom 6, and I wouldn’t want to push down Formenton, or play Duclair with Formenton and Stu.

That ship has sailed for me though, but I can understand the wondering.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I know, but we didn’t have a top 6 role for him any time soon, and he wasn’t good enough for one. The team tried to get him to play a bottom 6 role so that he could maybe make the team, but he didn’t want to make the team in that kind of role. He chose to leave instead and play bigger minutes and a bigger role over seas. It’s great for him, and not a loss at all for us.

In my opinion he would not move the needle on our team right now at all, and Neither would Balcers. Gambrell is a better bottom 6 player, as is Sanford, and when we’re healthy neither of those guys would have a roster spot.

Duclair could have been nice, though we do have Formenton so I’m not sure where he’d fit.

Once again he never said he wanted a top 6 role.

As for the rest, he doesn't need to move the needle. You get an NHL player who is league minimum instead of paying millions (and assets) on guys like Stepan or Sanford. Then our budget maybe can accommodate decent players instead of dumpster dives like MDZ, Gudbranson and J. Brown. It's not a huge deal but details are where a budget team needs to make hay. If not we're, well, what we've been for the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad