European Leagues/KHL Free Agents

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well aware of all of this. Still don't think he chooses the Sens if a team with actual playoff hopes makes him an offer, and I'm guessing that will be the case. Even KHL players have to be aware about how bushleague our franchise is.
On a playoff team he likely gets buried. On our team he’s in the top 6 showcasing. We are a stepping stone.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
There is no reason...no VALID reason that Chlapik couldn't have been one of our bottom six forwards last year (and this year). Still think he could top out as a decent #3C.
The reason is that Chlapik didn’t want to play a bottom 6 role. He’s quoted as saying that he thought Ottawa was trying to transform him into a checker and he was not into it. Is that a valid enough reason?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The reason is that Chlapik didn’t want to play a bottom 6 role. He’s quoted as saying that he thought Ottawa was trying to transform him into a checker and he was not into it. Is that a valid enough reason?

Playing in the bottom six doesn't have to mean you are purely a checker.

I mean our braintrust may be dumb enough to think that but it doesn't make it so.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is no reason...no VALID reason that Chlapik couldn't have been one of our bottom six forwards last year (and this year). Still think he could top out as a decent #3C.
I know. He’s so good all 31 other teams lined up to sign him this year.

sajmae

Jun 3, 2010
Czech Republic
Chlapik said that he signed in Switzerland because he believes it is the best way back to the NHL. But he is going to sign only with a team that offers him "significant role". I have my doubts about that happening.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Having a shooting winger that could provide some finish on the 2nd line is something, we should for sure be looking at

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Artem Zub to Andrei Kuzmenko :

"Yeah comrade, come join us, their manager will give you the easiest and quickest path to money. The team sucks here so you'll have the chance to put numbers"

"The atmosphere is great too, we suck but there's a lot of character here so we learn how to cope with all the losing"

Well aware of all of this. Still don't think he chooses the Sens if a team with actual playoff hopes makes him an offer, and I'm guessing that will be the case. Even KHL players have to be aware about how bushleague our franchise is.

I don't know if "playoff hopes" is the first thing they'll be looking at. If I was their agent, I'd be looking at opportunity to make a name for themselves and earn more money and role following that, on a playoff team. So start with a player development team like the Sens, then get serious business offers from other teams.

Ouroboros wrote this in December :

"Didn't any of you guys read the Mendes article about Chlapik? He didn't want to play on an NHL 4th line - he straight up says he didn't enjoy that role and didn't want to do it. Not much the team can do in that case."

I think it was more specifically "4th line". It means that he probably wanted at least a 3rd line role but was stuck in a number's game like Balcers (and well, Duclair too in the end)

Anyway, good for him, NL is the 3rd highly paid league after the KHL and SHL.

Last edited:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I know. He’s so good all 31 other teams lined up to sign him this year.

Time will tell if he could be an NHL player on other teams but he was absolutely better than some of the trash we played last year and some of the trash we're playing this year. He would have been cheap and he had even showed that he could play a bottom six role in the NHL in previous short stints.

There are plenty of players who go unsigned but are NHL caliber. That's a pretty dumb argument to make. Chlapik, after his time with us, expressed that he wanted to go back to Europe. It's no surprise no one signed him. Now it sounds like he wants to make his way back. If he has a good season in the Swiss League he will likely get an NHL offer.

But carry on defending how the Sens buried this player for the likes of Anisimov's corpse, Stepan, Haley, Bishop, Tierney and Galchenyuk.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Chalpik's upside is Chris Tierney.

Assuming that is true, at less than a million bucks that is what we should be looking for. Instead we pay Tierney and others millions more to be Tierney or worse.

Good teams fill the bottom of their roster with young talent who is just breaking in, even if they never become more than 3rd liners.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He already said he didn’t want to play a bottom 6 role, preferring to return to Europe and play a bigger role in a smaller league.

This player is not a cudgel to beat the team over the head with. Maybe return to Balcers or Duclair.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He already said he didn’t want to play a bottom 6 role, preferring to return to Europe and play a bigger role in a smaller league.

This player is not a cudgel to beat the team over the head with. Maybe return to Balcers or Duclair.

He said he didn't want purely a 4th line role. Not the same thing. Chlapik never insisted on playing top 6. He had played in the bottom 6 before. We'll never know for sure but he likely saw Arty Party, Haley and others getting NHL paychecks over him and decided the organization did not value his abilities and he'd never get a fair shake here.

Adding Balcers, Duclair and likely Chlapik to our forward group would have been welcome in any of the previous two years.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Assuming that is true, at less than a million bucks that is what we should be looking for. Instead we pay Tierney and others millions more to be Tierney or worse.

Good teams fill the bottom of their roster with young talent who is just breaking in, even if they never become more than 3rd liners.

There's some truth there, though top teams are usually top heavy and look for cheaper options to fill the bottom of the lineup. Not necessarily just younger players.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Looks like he is a right shooting LW with skill. If he signs here will be put him in a spot to succeed or play him on the side he isn't used to like Brannstrom? Or DJ won't play him because he looks skilled and not a physical grinder?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like he is a right shooting LW with skill. If he signs here will be put him in a spot to succeed or play him on the side he isn't used to like Brannstrom? Or DJ won't play him because he looks skilled and not a physical grinder?

Anthony Duclair spent his time in Ottawa playing his off wing, I'm not sure you are making much of a point here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He said he didn't want purely a 4th line role. Not the same thing. Chlapik never insisted on playing top 6. He had played in the bottom 6 before. We'll never know for sure but he likely saw Arty Party, Haley and others getting NHL paychecks over him and decided the organization did not value his abilities and he'd never get a fair shake here.

Adding Balcers, Duclair and likely Chlapik to our forward group would have been welcome in any of the previous two years.

I know, but we didn’t have a top 6 role for him any time soon, and he wasn’t good enough for one. The team tried to get him to play a bottom 6 role so that he could maybe make the team, but he didn’t want to make the team in that kind of role. He chose to leave instead and play bigger minutes and a bigger role over seas. It’s great for him, and not a loss at all for us.

In my opinion he would not move the needle on our team right now at all, and Neither would Balcers. Gambrell is a better bottom 6 player, as is Sanford, and when we’re healthy neither of those guys would have a roster spot.

Duclair could have been nice, though we do have Formenton so I’m not sure where he’d fit.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I know, but we didn’t have a top 6 role for him any time soon, and he wasn’t good enough for one. The team tried to get him to play a bottom 6 role so that he could maybe make the team, but he didn’t want to make the team in that kind of role. He chose to leave instead and play bigger minutes and a bigger role over seas. It’s great for him, and not a loss at all for us.

In my opinion he would not move the needle on our team right now at all, and Neither would Balcers. Gambrell is a better bottom 6 player, as is Sanford, and when we’re healthy neither of those guys would have a roster spot.

Duclair could have been nice, though we do have Formenton so I’m not sure where he’d fit.
I like him better than Duclair TBH,has that kinda abrasive way about him...Add in world class speed and I can see him being great 2nd.3rd line forward for us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad