European Hockey Rinks Dimensions

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
The IIHF wants to change all international competitions to use NHL sized ice (60x26)m instead of (60x30)m used in Europe. I included sources below. I heard the KHL has switched most of their ice to NHL size or Finnish size (60x28)m. European fans from countries such as Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czechia, Slovakia I was wondering if your hockey federations/leagues were also thinking of changing to NHL sized ice now or in the near future. I think it would help the development of young players playing in Europe because after watching the Spengler Cup it seems more like soccer than hockey, and compared to the world juniors, the difference is huge. Please let me know. Thank you.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
All teams in Switzerland play on 30x60 and since a lot of arenas have been built/renovated very recently I highly doubt any change regarding the ice surface in the near future. And, personally, I am very happy about that, I do prefer the big ice by a mile. Germany, if I remember correctly, is pretty much the same as Switzerland with only one team (Schwenningen) playing on a NHL sized rink.

Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
As BlizzardSloth mentioned Swiss and German, a lot of European rinks are built around big Olympic sized ice pads, it is not easy or possible in most cases to change that. I don't think many will be able.

I also enjoy the bigger ice rink compared to NHL sized.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
The IIHF wants to change all international competitions to use NHL sized ice (60x26)m instead of (60x30)m used in Europe. I included sources below. I heard the KHL has switched most of their ice to NHL size or Finnish size (60x28)m. European fans from countries such as Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czechia, Slovakia I was wondering if your hockey federations/leagues were also thinking of changing to NHL sized ice now or in the near future. I think it would help the development of young players playing in Europe because after watching the Spengler Cup it seems more like soccer than hockey, and compared to the world juniors, the difference is huge. Please let me know. Thank you.
Britain plays on NHL rinks 60x26 meter.

Norway have built many NHL rinks the later years, And it is plans for even more NHL rinks in Norway.
The world junior 2022 div 1A was played on NHL rink in Asker in Norway.
6 out of 10 teams in the norwegian top division plays on NHL rinks, Soon their will be more.
Under is a video from Trondheim in Norway. Where they've changed from Olympic rink to NHL rink.

When we build practice rinks we usually still build olympic rinks because it is preffered by those doing figure skating and short track. It enables multiple sports. But the top league clubs here build NHL size rinks.

I think in Norway it comes from inspiration after the olympics in 2010 in Vancouver, and the WC in 2008 in Halifax.

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
Britain plays on NHL rinks 60x26 meter.

Norway have built many NHL rinks the later years, And it is plans for even more NHL rinks in Norway.
The world junior 2022 div 1A was played on NHL rink in Asker in Norway.
6 out of 10 teams in the norwegian top division plays on NHL rinks, Soon their will be more.
Under is a video from Trondheim in Norway. Where they've changed from Olympic rink to NHL rink.

When we build practice rinks we usually still build olympic rinks because it is preffered by those doing figure skating and short track. It enables multiple sports. But the top league clubs here build NHL size rinks.

I think in Norway it comes from inspiration after the olympics in 2010 in Vancouver, and the WC in 2008 in Halifax.

Is Norway trying to revamp their hockey program to become more competitive with the other top hockey nations? How do you see the future of Norwegian hockey?

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
All teams in Switzerland play on 30x60 and since a lot of arenas have been built/renovated very recently I highly doubt any change regarding the ice surface in the near future. And, personally, I am very happy about that, I do prefer the big ice by a mile. Germany, if I remember correctly, is pretty much the same as Switzerland with only one team (Schwenningen) playing on a NHL sized rink.
I don't know I watched the Spengler cup and it seemed more like soccer than hockey to me. It also feels like you can just kill all the offence by forcing the other team to keep the puck on the perimeter. Also even if you prefer big ice vs. small ice do you not think its bad for young players to grow up on big ice since they will be at a disadvantage when it comes to playing in NA and IIHF competitions?

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I don't know I watched the Spengler cup and it seemed more like soccer than hockey to me. It also feels like you can just kill all the offence by forcing the other team to keep the puck on the perimeter. Also even if you prefer big ice vs. small ice do you not think its bad for young players to grow up on big ice since they will be at a disadvantage when it comes to playing in NA and IIHF competitions?
I mean, I understand it's not like watching the usual hockey for you, the same way hockey on smaller ice surfaces often looks congested to me when watching it. But that's a matter of personal preference and what you're used to. And yes, it would help for the development of players going to North America, but they are the minority as most of the players will stay in Europe and continue to play on olympic sized ice. And even as the IIHF is going down the route of the narrower rinks, I'd say that European leagues should stick to the bigger ice for the foreseeable time.

Reactions: Rigafan

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Is Norway trying to revamp their hockey program to become more competitive with the other top hockey nations? How do you see the future of Norwegian hockey?
We have a team in the elite division for both u18 and u20 for the first time for many years.

We have a couple of good hockey environments in Norway now with modern facilities and good staff in e.g. Oslo, Hamar, Asker and Fredrikstad/Sarpsborg. But most players with ambtitions to play abroad goes to Sweden to play in the swedish junior league.

To be able to compete with top hockey nations we need far more ice rinks, so that we can gain more depth, and not just a good generation now and then. We need to build environments for hockey, also outside the Oslo(capital) area to take out our full potentital as hockey nation.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Neutral zone trap even more so.
Which most offenses have figured out now. Good coaching has adjusted, which is why scoring is up. Ten years ago you never saw d-men dropping the puck to forwards coming through the nuetral zone with speed, now it happens every shift. Teams don't just dump and chase anymore.

The large ice doesn't help that. It creates a game played on the outside. It actually enables teams to box out easier. More space does not mean more penetrating the scoring areas. In fact, it makes it more difficult.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Which most offenses have figured out now. Good coaching has adjusted, which is why scoring is up. Ten years ago you never saw d-men dropping the puck to forwards coming through the nuetral zone with speed, now it happens every shift. Teams don't just dump and chase anymore.

The large ice doesn't help that. It creates a game played on the outside. It actually enables teams to box out easier. More space does not mean more penetrating the scoring areas. In fact, it makes it more difficult.
When you have the best players in the world you can try to play high-speed reaction hockey akin to the current NHL where players like McDavid thrive, in Europe you'd have even smaller rinks than in the NHL with lesser players effectively trying to do more – even if they adjust to the rink the increased speed but lesser space and time will have other consequences such as increase in injuries. Ultimately you'd need further rule changes to slow down the game such as the reintroduction of the 2-line pass and so we're back with the trap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad