GWT: Europa/Conference League - Knockouts

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gakpo looks better on the wing; he’s not athletic enough for wing in the PL but at this level he can hurt teams from there

Liverpool not really in the game so far, Atalanta with two big chances already.
This is how they start every game. Doesn’t really phase me anymore. Probably trying to save some gas for the weekend too. Klopp went pretty strong today too. although we might look back at the season at his Konate usage and be very confused

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That’s pretty shit from Liverpool so far. Atalanta are no mugs.

Keeper should probably make the save.
Definitely should make the save.

Gakpo looks better on the wing; he’s not athletic enough for wing in the PL but at this level he can hurt teams from there

This is how they start every game. Doesn’t really phase me anymore. Probably trying to save some gas for the weekend too. Klopp went pretty strong today too. although we might look back at the season at his Konate usage and be very confused
Do they need that much gas to beat Palace at home?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Playing Gomez and Tsimikas is asking for trouble. Both fullbacks are struggling
Starting Tsimikas first time a over a month at such a pivotal game is moronic from Klopp.

Not to mention the benched players. Klopp has such an arrogance with his tactics sometime. Like starting Quansah against United

Reactions: luiginb

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
West Ham playing bunker football, but keeping Leverkusen mostly at bay. Paqueta got a yellow and will miss the next leg, so tie pretty much over regardless.

Probably the dumbest part of knockout European football for me is yellow card accumulation playing such an outsized role in ties. Should just get rid of it in all the knockout rounds if not altogether.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Villa up 1-0 over Lille after Lille missed 3 one on ones with the keeper. Lack of finish has them down even though they should be up.
Watched the first minutes of the Benfica/OM game. Don't know which team is in the worst form, but both are playing just as badly as they have recently.
0.25/0.21 xG in favor of OM. Down 1-0 of course.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Definitely should make the save.

Do they need that much gas to beat Palace at home?
Yes to both.

Honestly kind of feels like LFC might be low on gas in general. Was in survival mode when all the injuries hit, didn’t reinforce in January, but haven’t looked as strong or coherent since the City game (except Sparta Prague but levels). Something is missing right now. Players are finally coming back but think it might just be too late. We will see though. Obviously the talent is there but I dunno man. They look like a hockey team that played two many game 7s in the early rounds and are now just too banged up in the later playoffs and they are dragging ass

Playing Gomez and Tsimikas is asking for trouble. Both fullbacks are struggling
Gomez has looked much better at LB than at RB. Also we have overplayed the hell out of him and he might just be out of gas.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Starting Tsimikas first time a over a month at such a pivotal game is moronic from Klopp.

Not to mention the benched players. Klopp has such an arrogance with his tactics sometime. Like starting Quansah against United
I mean if the priority is the PL, he might just be managing around that.

Quansah made a terrible error but was pretty good besides that - yeah that’s like asking Abe Lincoln how the show was, but still. I think it goes back to the Konate usage. He should not have played that Sheffield game; but also the bigger problem is Konate can’t play twice a week; either way I don’t think his usage has been great but Klopp has also been fighting fires all calendar year

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I mean if the priority is the PL, he might just be managing around that.

Quansah made a terrible error but was pretty good besides that - yeah that’s like asking Abe Lincoln how the show was, but still. I think it goes back to the Konate usage. He should not have played that Sheffield game; but also the bigger problem is Konate can’t play twice a week; either way I don’t think his usage has been great but Klopp has also been fighting fires all calendar year
Yes. My issue was Konaté starting against Sheffield United.
Same with starting Elliott and Jones, but are not up to par, they cannot keep the ball under control.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes. My issue was Konaté starting against Sheffield United.
Same with starting Elliott and Jones, but are not up to par, they cannot keep the ball under control.
I mean you got to get Jones back in rhythm at some point. No other time to do it. Elliott is amazing off the bench but looks like this whenever he starts; but Elliott always really unlucky not to have a goal so go figure. That’s soccer.

Salah, Szoboszlai and Robertson or for Elliott, Jones and Tsimikas so Klopp saw what we all saw I guess

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Going to need to punt the second leg after this disasterclass

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Liverpool should get Gasperini to coach them next year. He's outklopping Klopp tonight.

Also this is an Atalanta without their starting goaltender, star defender and maybe best attacker in Carnesecchi, Scalvini and Lookman.

Reactions: maclean

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Congrats on that Atalanta manager he has clearly figured out Klopp tactics to the dot. Complete domination from them.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s coming.

They are out of gas. At least they got the League Cup
They're always out of gas. They need a brand of football that isn't constant sprinting and half the team getting hurt.

Klopp has done an amazing job but the time has come for both parties.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If Liverpool gets knocked out, do we finally start the watch of Leverkusen going unbeaten in all comps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad