Eurolanche interview with Jonas Holos

EurolancheDavid

How do you remember then-coach Joe Sacco?
He was frustrated after the season, because we finished second-last I think. We had a lot of tough practices and a lot of meetings after bad games. I can’t really remember. We had a tough time as a team and he wanted us to play better.

What was your favorite defensive partner?
I’d say John-Michael Liles. He was a really skilled defenseman.

What did the Avalanche tell you after that season?
They haven’t really told me anything. They just told me I had to go down to the AHL to play in the playoffs.

What did they tell you when you told them you’d play in Europe next season?
They weren’t happy. They were disappointed, but at the same time they sent me down to the AHL during camp, so I felt like they don’t have a plan for me and if they did, they didn’t tell me about it. It felt like the right choice to make.

Why did you decide to go back to Europe?

Because they sent me down during camp. I felt like they gave others the chance I was supposed to get. Also, there were about 9 defensemen in Colorado that year, so I was low on the depth chart. The main reason was that I wouldn’t play in the NHL that year and if I didn’t play in the NHL, I’d rather play in Europe.

Since then, have you been in a contact with the Avalanche? Did they contact you at any time?
No, no contact at all.

They still have your player rights until this summer. Would you like to come back to the Avs? Are there any negotiations between you and the Avalanche right now?
I hope they’d give me a chance, because I’d like to play in the NHL again. If they’d give me a chance, I’d certainly take it right away. I would only accept a one-way contract, though. But I don’t know about any negotiations going on. You should probably ask my agent.*

* Holos' agent confirmed for Eurolanche that he is talking with the Colorado Avalanche these days, but no specific offer has been made. As the agent himself said, there’s still enough time for this and Jonas will only sign a one-way deal.

Full interview >>> http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=6351 <<<

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
always liked Holos. I think he'd be best served on a team other than the Avs. The relationship is too soured.

I'm curious - has he improved his game in Europe since he's been back? I haven't followed him since he left the Avs. Do you think he'd perform better or the same if he came back?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Definitely not a fan of his attitude. Seems like someone who isn't willing to work for their opportunities, just feels they should be given to him. Reminds me of the kid who pouts and takes "his ball" home with him when he doesn't get his way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I felt like they gave others the chance I was supposed to get.

This guy. Just keeps getting better and better.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Avs are even wasting their time talking to his agent.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Matt Hunwick and David Koci are two names from that year that stick out as players on the Avs who I don't believe were "better options" than Holos, neither was Cumiskey either.

Just because he has subtly called attention to that ("I felt like they gave others the chance I was supposed to get...") isn't wrong.

He was no worse an option than either of those 3, yet he was pretty consistently given the short-end of the stick in that regard.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yet Hunwick and Cumiskey might lift the Cup soon.

Yeah, I hardly find that to mean that they're better now than Holos, let alone back during the 2010-11 season.

The point being, I feel that he has some validity to his comments, and given that he's probably made some decent money playing over in Europe, he has every right to ask for a 1-way NHL contract to come back over. Now, I'm not saying the Avs should give him a 1-way deal, but it's no different than other unsigned UFA's from Europe.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Some seem to be attributing wanting to play closer to family, for more money, in a country where he can speak the language naturally as attitude. He was given the shaft by the Sacco regime, being played behind a variety of scrubs and raw kids that he had already outperformed, yet got sent down. Rather than risk that again, and possibly losing a contract in the SEL, he wants a guarantee that he will at least make enough money to make worth it to be that far from family, etc.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Matt Hunwick and David Koci are two names from that year that stick out as players on the Avs who I don't believe were "better options" than Holos, neither was Cumiskey either.

Just because he has subtly called attention to that ("I felt like they gave others the chance I was supposed to get...") isn't wrong.

He was no worse an option than either of those 3, yet he was pretty consistently given the short-end of the stick in that regard.

I don't care if he isn't wrong. A 23 kid who is butt hurt because he gets sent to the AHL after just half a year playing in the NHL and not doing anything good while up (on paper at least) is in no position to feel he has earned anything over anyone else.

Not a team player. Maybe it's just me, but he even sounds annoyed that he had to go to the AHL for the playoffs after the Avs were done.

FYI, it looks like Cuminsky stopped playing for the Avs the same year. So he didn't exactly keep him off the roster and force him the AHL during camp the next year. Kochi finished at the same time as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There's nothing wrong with preferring to play in Europe and having set criteria for what it would take to come back here. He seems to pretty much accept it's not going to happen too. But some of the quotes are off-putting. Such as the one about watching Avs games to see if anyone got injured. It just didn't work out, it's too bad but maybe the pining can stop now.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't care if he isn't wrong. A 23 kid who is butt hurt because he gets sent to the AHL after just half a year playing in the NHL and not doing anything good while up (on paper at least) is in no position to feel he has earned anything over anyone else.

Not a team player.

I think that may be a bit of a leap, SAH. Holos got his initial NHL "chance" on a train wreck of a team, with a train wreck of a coach. Some guys have good fortune in this way, others don't. Perhaps Holos correctly recognized it, and went to play in Europe. I find it kind of hard to blame him.

And don't forget (while I most certainly appreciate the Eurolanche guys posting their content) English is probably not Holos' first language, so some nuances can certainly get lost in translation.

I personally don't read anything negative into this.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'm not going to blame the guy for doing what is best for him. You got to look out for número uno. No one else is. But that seems like a bad teammate to me. I just hope we pass on him. I mean, not willing to start the year in the AHL before or now (the 1way contract is certainly fair at his age)? Call ups are still important to the team, and that couldnt happen from over seas. Give me guys like Rendulic, Everberg and Noreau, who isn't even a youngster anymore. Guys who understand they have to earn their place and have openly admitted they have no problem working their way into the NHL.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Some seem to be attributing wanting to play closer to family, for more money, in a country where he can speak the language naturally as attitude. He was given the shaft by the Sacco regime, being played behind a variety of scrubs and raw kids that he had already outperformed, yet got sent down. Rather than risk that again, and possibly losing a contract in the SEL, he wants a guarantee that he will at least make enough money to make worth it to be that far from family, etc.

this.....1000 times this..

I think in his mind, the NHL is only a slight step up from Europe.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yes his comments might be slightly negative however I don't blame the guy for leaving when he did. He was sent down with absolutely no comments/plan from management. The right thing to do would have been to tell him what to work on. I can certainly see why he reacted this way and requested to be released. When you have the feeling that the team doesn't care about your development you go back where you know you'll be playing a lot.

I'm ok with giving him an other shot but he does need to win his spot like anybody else. Most people his age coming to the NHL get one-way contract.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Yes his comments might be slightly negative however I don't blame the guy for leaving when he did. He was sent down with absolutely no comments/plan from management. The right thing to do would have been to tell him what to work on. I can certainly see why he reacted this way and requested to be released. When you have the feeling that the team doesn't care about your development you go back where you know you'll be playing a lot.

I'm ok with giving him an other shot but he does need to win his spot like anybody else. Most people his age coming to the NHL get one-way contract.

well we only know one side of the story. However, if what he says is true I certainly don't blame him. He has to make the choices he thinks are right for him. Perhaps it is also indicative of how dysfunctional the organization was during that period.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Yes his comments might be slightly negative however I don't blame the guy for leaving when he did. He was sent down with absolutely no comments/plan from management.

I agree with this but...

if he gets a one-way contract (eating a roster spot. we already have far too many third pairing Ds...) and ends being our acquisition for D-corps this off-season I'll be disappointed. :(

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Just what the doctor ordered: an entitled depth defenseman. Don't really care if he comes over. He's not good enough to be more than a third pairing guy and we need better than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad